Author Topic: Loopy bomber problems  (Read 391 times)

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
Loopy bomber problems
« on: February 07, 2004, 02:34:27 PM »
Flying level, plenty of power and speed, all four engines running normal, trim fairly centered so flying straight and true...

when I switch to a gunner position, my B-17 starts veering sharply off course to the left, and continues turning till I get back to pilot position where yellow auto-level light is still on.

I tried relogging but same thing happened again.

What gives?

Also, on a lesser note, what determines the view direction when I go to external view (F5)?  It seems to be a randomly different horizontal view each time I look outside.

Thanks.

regards, Airman T. E. Shaw

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
Loopy bomber problems
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 02:37:50 PM »
Coincidence that this just started happening in the new fester arena map up today (Saturday)?

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Loopy bomber problems
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 03:26:25 PM »
I don't think the new map would effect the plane flight.
First, I'd just use level autoPilot, x key, instead of trimming the plane to fly straight and level. While in the gunner positionis, the rudder will effect the planes course. Make sure you are not inadvertantly inputting some rudder.
For the external view in bombers, my preference is the F3 key.
Per the help file, the F5 is an 'fixed' external view opposed to F3 which is a constant distance right behind the plane, from pilot view that is. F4 is a chase view and will almost be like the view a bandit would have a certain distance off your 6.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Loopy bomber problems
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 04:26:02 PM »
You might also want to be sure your stick is calibrated fully.

What you're describing sounds as if the plane were turning due to a rudder input--as it would if you were in the gunner position and applied rudder.

While you may have the plane to fly "fairly" straight(and you could do that even if the stick weren't calibrated right), if whatever you're using for rudder input isn't completely centered in calibration, once you get into the guns position you'll start to turn in the direction its "off". As the guns have no trim, trimming won't straighten you out.

Give that a shot.

Drano
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group