Author Topic: Beta 13 new engine management.  (Read 3181 times)

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
Beta 13 new engine management.
« on: February 11, 2004, 04:20:21 PM »
Very nice addition.

However it seems very wierd reducing map to minimum (P51D) and barely being able to hear the engine.

I think its a nice idea but perhaps a touch overdone currently, reducing the range the volume drops would be good.

Engaging wep makes no difference to engine note, i reckon it needs to especially if the wep model is at some point going to inflict a penalty for overuse.

If plane 1 flies alongside plane 2 while 2 is altering engine map and hence engine noise.

Plane 1 will hear no difference in plane 2's engine noise.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 04:48:05 PM by 214thCavalier »

Offline Dennis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 07:01:37 PM »
I agree.  This is extremely bothersome and disorienting.  
If it's right ... that's kewl, I'll get used to it, I guess.

BTW, is RPM management supposed to have a real effect on flight in AHII? ... I mean are variable-speed props and/or prop pitch (depending on the plane) to be modeled ala Il-2  --- or is this just an aural thing?
If it's just ear kandy ... I'd druther have the old sound back.
I don't fly real planes .. but something seems amiss to have the engine sound nearly disappear as if it's getting farther away as I throttle back.

Splash1

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 08:30:02 PM »
The sound change with throttle doesn't sound right at all.

BTW, is RPM management supposed to have a real effect on flight in AHII?

Open your e6b and you'll see it does effect efficiency.

ra

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
      • http://myweb.cableone.net/decon14/
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 08:45:07 PM »
Whew!!  Glad to hear we all agree.  It's totally wrong.  I'm sure it will be fixed.  Hehehe it's like I turn the volume up and down on my speakers when I move the throttle.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 09:35:32 PM »
Cavalier, I think it's either a bug or a feature on the P-51s.

I can hear all other planes slightly changing its engine pitch when WEP is engaged - along with both manifold and RPM increase.

However, for some reason, the P-51s get increase in manifold when WEP is engaged, but the RPM stays the same.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 08:17:53 AM »
Wow, you guys need to research a bit of this.  Here is a quick and easy way to figure all of this out.

1.  Get in an old chevette with no muffler and an automatic.  Pull on the emergency brake, stomp on the brake pedal.  Rev the engine up just till the rpms wont go any higher, and relax the gas until it begins to just start dropping rpm. Listen to the sound.  Now floor that sloppy little four cylinder and listen to the sound it makes.  The RPMs did not increase, yet the sound is much much louder.

2.  Get an old chevette with no muffler and a stick shift.  Get her up to her top speed (about 20 mph) on a flat road.  Put it in 3rd gear and keep her at 20 mph.  Listen to the sound.  Check the rpms, we will assume they are at 1500 rpm.  Now, down shift into 2nd  and get her back to 1500 rpm and keep it at 1500 rpm (not 20mph).  The engine will make the same sound as long as you are not accelerating.  Now press the throttle half way down.  Dont move it, just shift gears as you speed up.  You will notice that the volume does not change, just the pitch.

3.  WEP does not necessarily do anything to your rpm.  In a constant speed prop, your pitch will increase to take a bigger bite, cause you have more power, and you can keep the prop at the speed you set.  All it does is create a denser charge in the cylinder (at least for nos) and thus more oxygen to burn the fuel.

Now the only bug I see is the sound problem in the mustang.  Personally I think it should just scream when you turn on the wep.  Even if not realistic it would be cooooooooool.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 08:20:10 AM by ergRTC »

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 10:15:42 AM »
Oh come on now??  The whole engine sound thing is totally goofy.  Or...it sure is on my Rig???  It truly sounds as if some is turning the volume up and down on my speakers???

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 11:01:57 AM »
How would you suggest you represent the sound of something getting louder?

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 12:59:25 PM »
I have no problem with the effect, but as i said feel that currently the P51D engine noise drops so much at idle its hard to tell if its still running.

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 02:55:55 PM »
Well I have a huge problem with the effect!

ergRTC, Not sure who you are, but....I a am NOT a sound engineer, programer, SIM builder, or conqueror of worlds!  I do know that an Engine sitting in any WarBird makes an enormous racket, near deafening, even in the cockpit.  Yes, I've sat in one, running.

The engine sounds in AH 1 are a fine replication IMHO only.  In AH-II the sound of all engines are like my Grandsons push Lawn mower.  It makes a heck of a racket until he stops pushing it.  Then it makes NO sound at all.

Just a thought ergRTC, have you installed and run Beta 13?  Sounds like your talking without having expierenced it?

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2004, 03:04:38 PM »
Yes I have installed it (darn nice b17), and do not see the same issue.  I also have a dual throttle, with one setup as pitch control (rpm control).  Have you played with the rpm control?  That may the sound you are missing.  You may have your engine volume set too low, have you looked in setup?  I hear the engine when my throttle is down.

Are you running mitsus sound pack?  That may explain the lawn mower problem.  Going from mitsu in ah1 to no mitsu ah2 is always going to suck.  If you havnt gotten the mitsu soundpack, omg you are going to love that. Not sure if it works with ah2.

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2004, 03:26:29 PM »
Yep, RPM programed to an axis.  Nope Mitsu's in AH 1, not AH2

Engine set too low?  Nope, any louder at full throttle might crack my CRT.

I'm not going to worry about this.  At this rate there will be 2000 more Betas and No one is playing it anyway.

Actually the graphics are just not that much better, FPS is poor, the Clipborad expands on the wrong side, and on and on.  Not ready for Prime Time.  Guess we'll see what it ends up being hey?

Cyas!

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2004, 03:33:56 PM »
yep

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2004, 03:44:54 PM »
3. WEP does not necessarily do anything to your rpm. In a constant speed prop, your pitch will increase to take a bigger bite, cause you have more power, and you can keep the prop at the speed you set. All it does is create a denser charge in the cylinder (at least for nos) and thus more oxygen to burn the fuel

That makes sense.

If the P-51s, Bf109G-10 and the D-9 all have a WEP system that doesn't necessarily increase the RPM values, then I can understand the pitch of the sound staying the same.

The Spitfires it seems, increases both Boost pressures and RPM, which brings out a different pitch when WEP engaged.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2004, 03:53:52 PM »
Yes, I had not noticed that before,  didnt he mention something special about the spit?  I also noticed that you cannot reduce rpms with WEP engaged.