Author Topic: Beta 13 new engine management.  (Read 3167 times)

Offline Black Sheep

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/empire21productions
Beta 13 new engine management.
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2004, 12:43:14 AM »
It should be more like -

50% Volume at idle -
100% Volume at full manifold

Right now it is too drastic of a change - In real life, the engine noise was deafening at idle even inside the pit....

But for the game - I don't know how they're gonna do it

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
      • http://myweb.cableone.net/decon14/
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2004, 09:39:17 AM »
Agree Black Sheep!

WEP, Yes there were many types of WEP systems.  Dry, Wet, Nitrous and on and on.  Considering a static total plane weight, the only two ways to increse speed is for the pitch of the prop to take a bigger bite or for the prop to spin faster.  WEP increases the cyclinder loading/manifold Pressure.  This increases power and the resultant torque which at 100% pitch is an increase shaft RPMs.  So, the pitch-lock is because the pitch is already at 100% when WEP is applied thus the shaft/Prop turns faster, RPM increases.  Keep this up too long and the resultant engine heating and vibration results in the engine coming apart.  I have always heard that this is altitude dependant.
WEP is also altitude dependant.
Fun Subject!

« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 05:05:53 PM by dracon »

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2004, 05:54:12 PM »
The sound is awful. AH I sound is better. No engine sounds as though it is doing the same RPM no matter where the throttle is. It's the ENGINE that makes the noise NOT the prop. AH I sound was fine!!

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2004, 07:26:26 PM »
ouch fogold.  The rpm of the prop is directly proptional (via the transmission) to the rpm of the engine.  As the engine rpm increases the pitch increases.  Go out side now and try it in your car.  

Now, if the rpm is kept constant, and the throttle is depressed, the volume increases.

Under normal circumstances it is hard for the average person to separate the two unless they have a) a good understanding of the internal comubstion engine and means of transfering that power, b) a turbocharged car or c) a family member or there own pilots liscense.  This is because as you increase the throttle, under normal driving, the rpms increase as well.

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2004, 04:24:32 AM »
I don't care. The sound is all wrong. At the moment it sounds as though the engine is still at full revs when you shut the throttle, just quieter. How come Forgotten Battles sounds right. When you shut the throttle, it doesn't get quieter, the engine revs just drop.

Maybe Forgottenm Battles is wrong too:confused:

Offline lucull

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2004, 08:12:49 AM »
Originally posted by ergRTC
Under normal circumstances it is hard for the average person to separate the two unless they have a) a good understanding of the internal comubstion engine and means of transfering that power, b) a turbocharged car or c) a family member or there own pilots liscense.  ...

...or an Audi with a multi-tronic gear box. (keeps you at optimum rpm for acceleration or fuel saving)

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2004, 08:26:40 AM »
Jeez, this is a nerdy subject! lol:rolleyes:

Offline lucull

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2004, 08:37:45 AM »
Originally posted by FOGOLD
I don't care. The sound is all wrong.

I guess you just didn't expect the technical approach to such a statement. :rofl

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2004, 09:06:19 AM »
Its not that complicated.  Are you sure FB does what you say it does?  Seems a little off to me unless it is in an old hurricane or a biplane, which likely had a constant pitch propellor.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2004, 09:09:10 AM »
the way I see (or hear) it:
In the car, when you keep a constant speed (RPM at a certain transmission) and reach an incline, you have to press the peddal down in order not to loose RPM. The sound effect of it is actually a "deeper" hum from the engine - not much change of volume and only a slight change of pitch.

So, the simplest way of implementing this I think, would be:

1. to make the engine sound depend on RPM almost entirly - both pitch AND volume!

2. As a secondary effect, REDUCE PITCH when throttle is added AND DO NOT CHANGE VOLUME. This mean that adding throttle but keeping a constant RPM you get a lowered pitch.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2004, 08:02:09 PM »
Problem here lies in the muffler.  To really understand the sound you need to toss the muffler out.  When you start dumping more fuel and air into the cylinder, it gets louder.

There are changes in the sound itself, but I am not sure if that is from a pitch shift, which i dont think it is, or rather from being able to hear more of the variety of tones the engine is producing.  

If HITECH moves to the pitch change, that would be grossly inaccurate for the planes modeled in AH.  The only plane without a variable pitch propellor that I know of in this plane set is the hurri 1, and ours may be a later model with the fancy prop.  

I think the best answer would be to introduce a new sound on top of the engine sound which would produce the loud "BRAAAAAAAP" sound kids imitate, and mustangs make when you stomp on the gas.

Hell, when I think about, just imagine yourself when you were 6 years old trying to make car sounds, its not the sound getting louder as the imagined car speeds up (increased rpms) its the sound moving up in pitch.  

Now think of that car with its wheels held tight and you flooring it, it will get loud, but not higher pitch.

talk about flogging a dead horse.

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2004, 04:49:33 PM »
ergRTC,

Better re-read yer posts man!  I am not trying to be rude in any way, shape, or form.  However, you seem to have contradicted yourself on several occassions.
Point here is, the current BETA sounds suck!  They are not even worth discussing further as they will be changed.  I'm not talking for Pyro and HT, however what the have attempted to show us appears to be layers of sound that will need to be integrated to make the more REALISTIC sounds we will have in AH2.  These sounds are RPM, Throttle, Climb, and Dive.

It will be great I am sure

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2004, 06:36:33 PM »
Contradiction where?

Do you understand what I am trying to get across?  

Yes I am sure the sounds will be improved, the general idea behind the new changes are fundamentally correct.  Volume is a function of the throttle, pitch is a function of rpm.

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2004, 08:53:55 PM »
Originally posted by ergRTC
Yes I have installed it (darn nice b17), and do not see the same issue.  I also have a dual throttle, with one setup as pitch control (rpm control).  Have you played with the rpm control?  That may the sound you are missing.  You may have your engine volume set too low, have you looked in setup?  I hear the engine when my throttle is down.

Are you running mitsus sound pack?  That may explain the lawn mower problem.  Going from mitsu in ah1 to no mitsu ah2 is always going to suck.  If you havnt gotten the mitsu soundpack, omg you are going to love that. Not sure if it works with ah2.

Yo Bro...When one reads this he is led to believe YOU think everything is Peachy-Keeno.  Later you are admitting that all is not well.  I say again......This BETA sound Sucks!  Copy That?

Ugh!

PS: I'm outta this thread

Dracon