Author Topic: Smoking in Bars...  (Read 6467 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Smoking in Bars...
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2004, 11:36:41 AM »
Originally posted by FUNKED1
Yep Weazel is a "libertarian" who votes the DNC party line.  Eagler says he is a Republican but these posts read like a Nader voter.  :)

hehe

just saying ur right to smoke at my meal/bar isn't anymore right than my right not to smell it -

if you need ur nicotine, cram a wad of this in your jaw and spit quietly :)

nothing says "class" than a grown man spitting or a woman smoking
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smoking in Bars...
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2004, 11:38:03 AM »
Originally posted by ra
Once the feds pulled off the "2nd smoke causes cancer" scam, the door was open for this.  Our basic liberties are completely at the mercy of nannies and tort lawyers.

ra

lol scam.... ignorant tard

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smoking in Bars...
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2004, 11:43:34 AM »
ra: Not any more.  OSHA can declare that certain environments are unsafe for workers.  And tort lawyers can sue anyone they want anytime they want for as much money as they want.  Once the 2nd hand smoke scam was completed it opened the door for nannies to pass their new laws, and it puts employers at risk of law suits if they continue to allow smoking even where it remains legal.

OSHA did not make the smoking environments unsafe - they really are unsafe, like many other work environemnts.

What the federal government did was take from the consenting adults the right to enter a contract were one side assumes the job associated with increased risks for appropriate compensaton reflecting those risks.

It did not start with second-hand smoke or work safety laws but with the abandonment of Constitutional limits on Fed Government powers much earlier.

miko

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Smoking in Bars...
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2004, 11:44:12 AM »
Just quit smoking ya rutabagas.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smoking in Bars...
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2004, 11:49:41 AM »
midnight Target: Just quit smoking ya rutabagas.

It's not about smoking at all. The government will find reasons to expand. As long as they hire more bureaucrats to control and reglate, they do not care what they control and regulate.

miko
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 11:52:30 AM by miko2d »

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Smoking in Bars...
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2004, 11:56:38 AM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Just quit smoking ya rutabagas.

:aok

Smoker's rights...pfft...

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smoking in Bars...
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2004, 11:56:44 AM »
lol miko, the people of these states started the movements. Your losing sight of the fact that alot of our government is still run by the people. A reason why its so huge and confusing.  In florida i know it started out as a petition and was put to vote and passed with like 70+ percent.

I personally dont think its right, but if all the smokers crying about it would have actually voted it might not have passed. I ask all the ones i know, and they didnt even know it was on the ballet in 2000.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Smoking in Bars...
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2004, 12:10:37 PM »
being a non smoker my dad was irritated by the smell of smoke...so when he realized the smokers didnt like the smell of malt vineger so he poured some into the ventilation...in the end this didnt really work...so when the driver banned something else on the bus because he didnt like cleaning them up...so my dad started spilling cigarette buts all over the place...it may or may not have worked because shortly afterwords the bus company banned smoking on the bus...

It's not about smoking at all. The government will find reasons to expand. As long as they hire more bureaucrats to control and reglate, they do not care what they control and regulate.

of course the fact that there are less smokers than non and the non smokers don't like the smell of smoke couldent possibly had anything to do with it...america is still a democracy and majority still rules...

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smoking in Bars...
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2004, 12:11:06 PM »
Frogm4n: lol miko, the people of these states started the movements. Your losing sight of the fact that alot of our government is still run by the people.... In florida i know it started out as a petition and was put to vote and passed with like 70+ percent.

How am I losing sight? I fully recognise that people of those states voted and a majority decided to steal/confiscate the property of a minority to use it to their perceived advantage.

A reason why its so huge and confusing...

It is huge but no more confusing - or legitimate - than a gang-rape. It's how totalitarian democracy is intended to work.

if all the smokers crying about it would have actually voted it might not have passed.

The smokers are minority. Or could be a minority in a particular jurisdiction. Or any other group could be a minority. As with any minority, when their property or rights are being stolen by democratic vote, they have to lose. Any other outcome would be dishonest and a distortion of a democratic process.

I personally dont think its right, but...

That does not seem consistent with your previously declared views. You are a militant supporter of a totalitarian government.
 Or do you mean you do not approve of just that particular way to violate people's property and contract rights?

miko

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smoking in Bars...
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2004, 12:15:43 PM »
The things i vote for and what i believe in are a tad different miko.
Most of my views are very libertarian, but i wont vote that way because i understand that it just wont work.
Sure in a perfect world we would all be free to do what we want, and business's would be able to do what they please but if they go to far the consumer would punish them. But it is far from a perfect world

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smoking in Bars...
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2004, 12:19:12 PM »
vorticon: of course the fact that there are less smokers than non and the non smokers don't like the smell of smoke couldent possibly had anything to do with it...

If some people do not like the fact that you allow - or disallow - smoking inside your own private house, so what? Nobody is forced to come in and enjoy/suffer your hospitality or work for you.

america is still a democracy and majority still rules...

What do you mean "still"? America is now a democracy. It was not a democracy originally and for the most part of its history. It took a while to replace the Rule of Law with majority rule.

The government obviously looks for easy targets in the beginning - those that would not elicit much sympathy. Most people do not realise that itbis not a particular right that is important but the concept of rights itself.

miko

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Smoking in Bars...
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2004, 12:25:34 PM »
What do you mean "still"? America is now a democracy. It was not a democracy originally and for the most part of its history. It took a while to replace the Rule of Law with majority rule.

so what your saying is in the beginning american presidents were just picked out of thing air?

If some people do not like the fact that you allow - or disallow - smoking inside your own private house, so what? Nobody is forced to come in and enjoy/suffer your hospitality or work for you.

this isnt about what you do in your house...it about what you do in a public place...and as i already said its pretty dern stupid to ban it in bars...next they wont let you bvring your own cue into a pool hall because it will give you an advantage over the people who are stuck using crappy house cues
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 12:28:05 PM by vorticon »

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smoking in Bars...
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2004, 12:25:45 PM »
Frogm4n: The things i vote for and what i believe in are a tad different miko.
Most of my views are very libertarian, but i wont vote that way because i understand that it just wont work.

I do not know anything about your voting but only about the views you profess here.
 Do you believe in the right of countries to self-determination?
 Do you think that people can aspire to freedom in a country that is occupied and ruled by another country? You seem to do so and I do not see how it fits with your supposed libertarian views.

miko

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Smoking in Bars...
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2004, 12:26:43 PM »
Funny
Lots of people said that the banning of smokeing in bars and resteraunts would close lots of them down here. Been about 8 years and none of them have closed that I see. Still lots of business.

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smoking in Bars...
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2004, 12:32:36 PM »
Originally posted by Pongo
Funny
Lots of people said that the banning of smokeing in bars and resteraunts would close lots of them down here. Been about 8 years and none of them have closed that I see. Still lots of business.

They always scream that. The other myth is that if you raise corprate taxes.(or just make them pay the ones they owe now) that the price will be passed on to the consumer. Of course if they raise their prices someone will always undercut them.