Author Topic: Terminated  (Read 491 times)

Offline SkyPiece

• Zinc Member
Terminated
« on: February 13, 2004, 11:00:21 PM »
I have a problem, and I hope that someone might have heard of it before. I searched, but I turned up nothing. I am really hoping that it is not me.
Anyway, I have successfully made maps before, using the terrain editor. The maps I made worked just fine.
Recently, I made a few maps, but when I went to play them offline, aceshigh.exe terminates, after about 30 seconds, and I am back at my desktop.
I have downloaded and installed aheditor again, but when I make another map, the problem still exists.
I began to wonder if it was aceshigh, or something like that, so I reinstalled it...but to no avail. I have a dual boot, with AH on the other side, so I tried that. Still, the problem exists.
That got me to wondering if anyone else has had any problems with the terrain editor and the maps they make. Once again, the problem only happens with the maps that I made.  
Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Spork42

• Zinc Member
Terminated
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 11:39:40 PM »
Is the filename longer than 8 characters? I had this problem and changing the name of all the files to something shorter and rebuilding everything fixed it. I'm not sure if rebuilding is really necessary, you might just be able to rename the .res file.

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Terminated
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 08:57:41 AM »
Originally posted by Spork42
Is the filename longer than 8 characters? I had this problem and changing the name of all the files to something shorter and rebuilding everything fixed it. I'm not sure if rebuilding is really necessary, you might just be able to rename the .res file.

Nope, you have to rebuild.

First all, do what he said, check if the name is longer than 8 characters.
Secondly, use the error checker thats built in the terrain editor; its on the objects tab
Correct any errors; if it says stuff about an object touching the gridline make sure its in the middle of the grid square; if it is just ignore
Save and restart the TE; this stops it from going nuts and making houses lean on their side and shoot at air craft (I ain't lieing either!)
Rebuild and try again.

Offline F1Bomber

• Copper Member
      • http://www.bushtech.com.au
Terminated
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 01:04:32 PM »
Easist way i stop things shoting in the air was to untick the zone masters and then save and exit. Come back into th TE and retick them and save and build.

That should solve 90% of your problems.

Btw i found out the terrrian editor has a bug. If you dont place fileds evenly though the zones for example.

field 1 , zone 1.

it will tottaly chuck a watermelon at you. This means you need to un-tick the zone master, save. Restart the TE, and retick it for some reason this fixes the problems. Its a pain in the ass.

Offline SkyPiece

• Zinc Member
Terminated
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 04:36:18 PM »
Well, previously, I did make a map that had a name longer than 8 chars. Come to think of it, it started after making a map with the name too long. However, it would continue to terminate, even if I made a correct map(for all maps made after the 9 character name).
I had uninstalled terrain editor and reinstalled it, but that didn't seem to change anything. I just got fed up and manually deleted everything in the terrain editor folder and reinstalled.
Now, everything seems to be working fine. It seems like once I made that 9 char name, it all went down hill. Even for 3 char names, it would terminate. Could the 9 char name have edited a file which all caused it to go to pot?
Anyway, manually deleteing the files and reinstalling seemed to fix it. Thank you for all of the help!

-SkyPiece

Offline BluAngl

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/devilsslot
Terminated
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 01:45:34 PM »
AH isn't booting me, but when I click on Offline it just reloads the front page of AH. It's also not  letting me host a room either, if I try to host a room it freezes my computer. :rolleyes: cheked the filename and such but didn't seem to be anything wrong w/ the map.. Could this be same problem as Skypiece w/ a diffrent response from AH or something else?

Offline SkyPiece

• Zinc Member
Terminated
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 03:17:56 PM »
if I try to host a room it freezes my computer.

Have you ever been able to host a room, or go offline?

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
Terminated
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 03:29:09 PM »
Originally posted by SkyPiece
I had uninstalled terrain editor and reinstalled it, but that didn't seem to change anything. I just got fed up and manually deleted everything in the terrain editor folder and reinstalled.
Now, everything seems to be working fine. It seems like once I made that 9 char name, it all went down hill. Even for 3 char names, it would terminate. Could the 9 char name have edited a file which all caused it to go to pot?
Anyway, manually deleteing the files and reinstalling seemed to fix it. Thank you for all of the help! -SkyPiece

Uninstalling AH doesn't remove all the files.

In your case what probably was happing is...........when you selected your 8+ character .res map file AH makes a "curterr.cfg" file with the name of your last terrain selected.  Now when you run AH it wants to load that terrain.  So all you would really need to do is delete this "curterr.cfg" file.....now when you run AH it will load the default terrain.

The "curterr.cfg" file is located in your  C:\Program Files\HTC\Aces High\settings folder.

C:\Program Files\HTC\Aces High\terrains

Pokie

Offline empty

• Zinc Member
      • http://thelegion.iwarp.com
Terminated
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 08:35:57 PM »
I just went through this Sunday, I discovered the 8-char limit a little late in the build.

I didn't remove the *.cfg file, I did rename and rebuild everything and this fix the crashing after 30-seconds problem.

Now when I load the new terrian, AH does the CTD.  The next time you launch it, it starts with the new terrain and functions fine.

I run AH out of a RAM disk, so there is nothing in the AH folder group that will cause this.  I must be something left over from the map editor.

How far back should I start the rebuild?  Does renaming the folder and all the files, then rebuilding correct everything?

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Terminated
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 08:39:06 PM »
You have to rename ALL the source files that the TE creates, NOT the .res file (didn't i tell you that?)

Offline SkyPiece

• Zinc Member
Terminated
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2004, 10:50:35 PM »
8+ character .res map file AH makes a "curterr.cfg" file with the name of your last terrain selected.  Now when you run AH it wants to load that terrain.  So all you would really need to do is delete this "curterr.cfg" file.....now when you run AH it will load the default terrain.

That sounds about half of what happened, so you might be pretty close, but I am wondering if a similar file was created in the terrain editor folder.
When I ran the 8+ char name, it would crash. Then, when I restarted it, AH would automatically load my default map (which ever it had with the first install).
After a crash, I could load any map I like, and it would run just fine. The only exception to that was that it had to be a map that was downloaded or made previously.
I am thinking that a similar file ( to curterr.cfg) was created in the terrain editor folder. That would kind of explain how even correctly named files would have the same characteristics as an 8+ file name.  I remade a small map, with a three letter name, and it had the exact characteristics of the 8+ name.
It seemed like something was corrupting all files, after the 8+ filename.

Offline BluAngl

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/devilsslot
Terminated
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2004, 10:45:45 PM »
Skypiece,
Yeah, I've been able  to host befre. Maybe soon I will have time to look at it, :rolleyes:  lol