Author Topic: Ostwind, M16, and Field Ack  (Read 1877 times)

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
Ostwind, M16, and Field Ack
« on: February 01, 2004, 05:03:52 PM »
I've been flying in AH for about two and a half months and I cant seem to figure out how Ostwinds, M16s, and Manned Ack shoot me down so fast.  I usually use something fast to take out Ack and even when Im going 400 mph over 1K above the base, a Manned Ack seems to shoot me down alot.  When I'm in a field gun i almost can never hit something.  The same thing happens when im in an Ostwind and an M16.  I will only hit something when it comes strait at me or going pretty slow.  Is this the work of hackers or just practice and skill? Someone please help me learn how to use a Manned ack/Ostwind.

Thank You
-thebest

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 10:09:46 PM »
A couple of tips that may help.  First, you are probably not leading enough on crossing shots, that's the trouble most people have.  To hit an aircraft at even 200mph you might have to lead almost a whole screens worth (depends on range).  The gunsight itself is basically useless for deflection shooting.

The thing to do is, go offline to a field with drones and shoot at them a bit from an Ostie.  Record it when you are doing it and then play back that video and watch where your rounds are going (you can jump into the aircraft by clicking on the names).  After you do this a couple of times you will get a feel for how much to lead an aircraft.  I bet it's WAY more than you thought.  And remember, that's on a simple scenario where the plane is only doing 200mph at 3,000ft.  Another thing you can do it turn on the lead-computing-gunsight option (in setup) and then use that to get a feel for the aim.  I seem to remember that it only really shows about half the amount of lead you really need on the Ostie.

THe problem with getting killed by manned field ack is usually because you wait too long to shoot.  Remember that when strafing ack, it's not moving, so shoot early.  Guns have a range of D1.2 or so when you are just strafing the ground, so fire WAY out and let the rounds sprinkle around the ack and kill it.  If you are flying directly at the ack then by D800 someone is going to nail you.  You need not fly directly at the ack either, fly slightly offline and then turn into the ack and fire, never flying straight at it.  That usually throws off most manned gunners.  The auto-ack is simply luck though, it auto-compensates and lots of speed doesn't help (some think it is actually worse to have lots of speed).

Hope that helps.  Ostie/Field Ack gunning is mostly a feel thing that just takes some practice and I don't know that anyone can reliably hit things that aren't very close or at low deflection angles.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 08:09:27 AM »
I've found that I get most of my airbase-defense Osti kills at ranges out to 1.5 to 2.5 when the aircraft is egressing and is typically in a shallow climb.

The Osti and the manned ack guns fire big, heavy shells that will travel a long way but have a noticable arc to their flight.  The trick is giving enough deflection lead to allow the slow, heavy shell to travel to its target.  I think the drop-off becomes noticable after d2.5.  

Also, Osti shells seem to fragment after about d1.5 or so and will cover a bigger area at that range.

Offline Adogg

• Copper Member
thebest1...
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 09:43:18 AM »
... Just to back up Soda's earlier point:

I'm not a crack-shot either in the air or in the M161 but I almost always get kills in the GVs due to pilots flying at me and failing to shoot soon enough. There's nothing like shooting the wings off an inbound fighter in a shallow dive and watching them spin wildly past.

Goodluck with the GVs.

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 11:25:21 AM »
Thank you all very much and I will try all of your suggestions.

--thebest

Offline Flit

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 12:06:18 PM »
Also, try setting your viewpoint as hi as it will go all the way around.
The sight is useless unless they're comin right at ya anyway, and it helps to see where the shells are going

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 12:26:24 PM »
Adding to Flit's last point, a number of people (including myself) use the mouse-pointer trick.  Basically, use the HOME key to set your head position to the default and place the mouse pointer on the center of the gunsight.  Then, when you move your head up (for max viewing), the mouse points still represents the aim-point.  That's pretty common in the Ostie and helps you peer over the armour of the turret while still maintaining your aim point.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 06:51:54 PM »
I actually place a "DOT" on the monitor with a marker (DONT DO THIS ON A LAPTOP SCREEN....LOL...or FLAT PANEL!

I use that for aiming...same as the mouse pointer trick.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2004, 11:09:44 PM »
Soda, I flipped on the lead computed gunsight in the arena settings, but i get nothing.

Does it appear for Field Guns?  Do I have to do something special once I turn it on?
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2004, 10:19:57 AM »
You need to turn it on AND use padlock to track targets.  So, turn it on, then turn on Padlock (key [F11]), then select either [SHIFT-TAB] if the drones are enemy or [CTRL-TAB] if the drones are friendly.  You should see a small green + appear once you've selected the target.

Haven't tried it from a field gun before but I know I've used it from Ostwinds and Fighters for demo purposes (and tests).

Offline T1loady

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 01:40:45 PM »
I have 95 kills this month in an osti, and I am by far not the best in the game with a GV, but I have learned that the trick to killing planes is the lead shot and waiting fir the right time to shoot. I dont shoot until the target is 1.5. I try not to draw attention of aircraft till they are in my "pk" (probability of kill) range. I find that I get shot at alot less and score more kills if I dont shoot at the enemy targets until I am pretty sure that I can hit them.  Lead lead lead.  Even more than you think you should.  I use my mouse pointer at my site.  Just keep working on it.  You will be better as you get more time trying.  I love upping at a base that is about to get hit hard.  Lots of targets mean more chance to kill.  

Also, my trick for deacking..   Kill the manned ack first. Then work on the auto ack.  You MUST continute jinking to avoid getting hit.  Use numbers  of planes to help. more planes in the area, the less chance to get hit.  The auto ack will try to kill all the planes not just you..

SkipNutz
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 01:43:08 PM by T1loady »

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 04:05:50 PM »
My trick to deacking is to fire and turn away.  Fire and turn away.  Sure, it's slower, but it's a lot harder to get hit.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"