Author Topic: State of affairs  (Read 235 times)

carl

State of affairs
« on: October 01, 2000, 02:42:00 AM »
Not AH related post here but I found this to be interesting ....and disturbing.

My friend since elementary school is in training with US forces to be a combat pilot.

Of 146 aircraft slated for training - 46 are operational

of 56 aircraft slated for use in advanced training - 4-6 are operational at any given time.

These figures are for his class of aircraft training.

This is due to parts unavailable (parts goto "frontline" units first and the training AC are cannabalized for parts) and or fuel costs are not is the  budget. His training has been ongoing for 2 years which normally takes 1 year to complete the basic flight.

He is currently in advanced tactics training with less then 1/2 the hours that were required 8 years ago. Needless to say his parents (father flew Navy jets) are worried and have told him to get the training and get out fast,  go into civil aviation but I know he's not going to because he's one of them dumb patriotic types like myself. (something he learned as a Army Ranger I guess)

So what does a trainee do for 2 years instead of 1 year of "real" training? ... paper pushing, they "kill" time till its their turn to get less then 1/2 the hours of flight time that was standard 8 years ago.

50 million$ loss of 2 aircraft and 4 lives sent to fight Yugoslavia was due to lack of training ,seems that would have bought alot of fuel let alone the tragic loss of life. The squadron sent to the "front" never engaged do the the fact that the commander refused to commit his men to combat after these loses were obviously from lack of training.

I won't list his name and or unit do to the fact they don't like officers talking of such things and this is made VERY clear to them these days with the perfume princess generals bucking for #'s  to satisfy Bill Clinton so he can pass the "good news" that alls well with America's armed forces.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
State of affairs
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2000, 04:54:00 AM »
Keep the election stuff on the O'Club please  .

------------------
StSanta
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline DmdBT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.damned.org
State of affairs
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2000, 07:30:00 AM »
I wouldn't quite call it election year stuff. We had budget problems like this back in '92 when I got out of the Army. Have you ever seen tankers training for war in golf carts? I have and it is a pathetic sight. Just how proficient can an Infantryman be with his rifle when he gets 9 rounds to zero and 40 rounds to qualify with twice a year? Also having your guys training for war yelling "bang-bang" because there is no money in the training budget for blank ammunition. The US military was hurting back in '92 for lack of proper funding, I can't imagine what they are going through. Couple that with the lack of discipline in the troops today and its a wonder they can do anything at all.

I hope the Chinese will let us keep AH when they take over the world. <sigh>

T
Oh yeah, O-Club would be more appropriate.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
State of affairs
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2000, 01:04:00 PM »
It is most certainly election year stuff, or would you like me to point out that the Republican controled Congress keeps giving Bill Clinton less than he asked for on the Pentagon Budget?

How's that sound?  "Its because of that evil slime ball that the people put in office that we must short the Pentagon Budget.  Nice thing is, we'll be able to blame him for later and people will actually believe us.".

There, now this thread is balanced.  Ya gots that rabid right at the top and the rabid left at the bottom.

Lets let it die.

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
State of affairs
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2000, 03:28:00 PM »
It is most certainly election year stuff
========================================
blah blah blah........

There is a reckoning coming down the pipe any way I look at it.  The choice the electorate make on Nov 7 will only determine if it is sooner or later.  I prefer sooner myself.  

Time again for the entire world to get a severe spinal alignment.

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
State of affairs
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2000, 04:44:00 PM »
I'm sorry sir, but I've seen this condition in threads before... I'm afraid the poor thing's temperature will just keep rising, and the behaviour will become more and more erratic.. by the end of it it's not a pretty sight.

I'm afraid the best thing for it is to put it down right now.  

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
State of affairs
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2000, 07:11:00 AM »
(pop! pzvg appears)
Muhahhaaaa! It's peacetime and the military is being screwed by the leadership and folks are surprised/offended/looking for someone to blame? Call yourselves history buffs,
Meine arsch  
(pop! pzvg disappears, smoke remains forming words, why the hellcat?)

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"

Renfield

State of affairs
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2000, 07:35:00 AM »
I just wish John McCain was the Republican candidate.

McCain is a straight shooter and would have had an inkling about the military.

Offline Snoopi

• Zinc Member
State of affairs
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2000, 12:59:00 PM »
If there is ever a day when Jets are no longer flown due the cost of fuel and maint. and purchase price.
I know where countries can pull their elite air combat troops from....

Aces High   !    

the Wb crew would fill out the ranks and the AW group would work in the Officers' Mess.  

Regards,
Snoopi

LOL Hangtime just might get his P51 with chaingun for real then.