Author Topic: Firearms Refresher course  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Firearms Refresher course
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2004, 10:36:28 AM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
But if you criminilize alcohol, then only criminals would have it!

Luck bastards.  :(

ROFL:lol
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2004, 10:41:57 AM »
Originally posted by john9001
supreme court on 2nd amendment

http://www.nrawestla.org/2Asupreme_court_case.htm

Did you bother to read this? From an NRA source too...

United States v. Miller (1939)
Miller was a moonshiner charged with possessing a sawed off shotgun, in violation of the NFA.  He claimed he had a 2nd Amendment right to have it. The Supreme court said that the 2nd Amendment only protected militia weapons, and it hadn't been shown to the court that a sawed off shotgun was a militia weapon.  The court sent the case back down to a lower court, but Miller died before any further legal action was taken.  Miller and his lawyer did not appear and did not present a defense at the Supreme Court proceeding. The decision was that the 2nd Amendment does not give individuals a right to possess a gun. The court erred in saying that the 2nd  Amend. only applies to militia arms, but it validated the 2nd's individual rights nature.

So the NRA's response was?   The SC erred!? Doh!

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2004, 10:45:42 AM »
Great!  The government can define what weapons qualify as "militia weapons," just like they used their infinite knowledge to come up with a definition of "assault weapons."

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2004, 11:33:57 AM »
actually.....the supreme court has upheld 2nd rights a lot more than they have ignored em.   Very good book out right now on the subject.   I don't have the article with me but anyone with a current issue of the American rifleman can see the story on it.

as for waco and ruby ridge.... say that those guys were right and they and a loarge portion of the armed citizenry were in revolt.... it certainly would seem that they were very effective as they tied up forces from 10 to 50 times greater than their own.   seems effective enough to me.

lazs

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2004, 12:34:34 PM »
Originally posted by MoRphEuS
WHAT a choad remark... Your comparing apples to oranges... The ppl at Waco, and ruby ridge are far from being alike to folks like my father, my friends who own guns, myself, most of my family for that mater...

Its not the honest citizens who are the problem its the ones who continue to purchace guns off the street illegaly. Its the honest citizens of the US who pay for these peoples actions... A drug dealer kills a kid with a gun he bought off the street and honest people pay the price for this actions by more laws, more bans on guns, and more needless paperwork to fill out when you purchace a gun...

I've been around guns and in the bisness all my life, since I could walk and even before my father braught me up around guns and honest people who enjoy shooting... Not once did I attend a class like which instructed me and others in ways of which to bring the US Government down... My point here stands, Honest people arent the ones to blame, its the ones that are always being overlooked, the criminals who have laws writen on their behalf by those people in office who think more laws will do good and help to put an end to this maddness and stop all these horrible gun crimes...

Tell me... Since most crimes are commited while under the influence of one substance or another, such as alcohol... Should we need to fill out and SP-67 and get background checked before we purchace a 6 pack?
Lordy you're giving that strawman a helluva beating. :) But how does any of what you posted relate to my argument that firearms are of no use against an oppressive government?

It doesn't matter what credo those at Waco or Ruby Ridge held - and frankly I think they were complete loons. They are exactly the same as all gunowners in the one critical area necessary for my argument - ergo: they owned guns. And the fact remains they were easily squashed by the Government despite being well-stocked up with firearms.

End result: Government 2 Rebels with firearms 0.

Seems to me they needed much heavier weaponry to stand a chance.  So my original point still goes: unless you're in favour of legalizing much heavier weaponry, the "guns save us from oppressive government" argument is nonsense because they quite patently don't.

You can argue that the Waco or Ruby Ridge lot were criminals, but it's a totally irrelevant tangent, and kind of a tautology in that anyone who stands up against a government with the aid of a firearm is by definition a criminal - that's how the whole government thing works. The only rebels who don't get branded as criminals are the ones that win, and they only stop being criminals when they've won.

Anyone who thinks they're free from government oppression because they own a bunch of firearms is fooling themselves: try not paying any tax and see how far your gun collection gets you with that.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 01:10:38 PM by -dead- »
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2004, 12:39:53 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
actually.....the supreme court has upheld 2nd rights a lot more than they have ignored em.   Very good book out right now on the subject.   I don't have the article with me but anyone with a current issue of the American rifleman can see the story on it.

as for waco and ruby ridge.... say that those guys were right and they and a loarge portion of the armed citizenry were in revolt.... it certainly would seem that they were very effective as they tied up forces from 10 to 50 times greater than their own.   seems effective enough to me.

lazs
Well they did tie up a lot of people, but if they were in open revolt in large numbers, the government would no doubt up the ante and use airstrikes and armour. Small arms don't really tie up those sort of forces very much.
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2004, 01:08:46 PM »
Those who trade liberty for security have neither

tough one but i'll try

err...you buy a gun for security...lets say your in the woods and a grizzly bear shows up and starts acting aggresivly...what your supposed to do with a grizzly is play dead...but if you have a gun chances are your gonna shoot the grizzly...and unless you get real lucky all thats gonna do is piss him off...

or lets say your in the local kwik-e-mart and a robber shows up and pulls a gun...if your unarmed you just gonna do what he says...if your armed chances are your gonna wait for the oppurtune moment and shoot the ****a to hell...

the point is when you have a gun your response patterns become tied to it ...in most situations your reaction will be to shoot the problem...wether or not the situation requires it your gonna shoot...basicly your reactions get "slaved" to the gun...now wheres the liberty in that

without some security liberty is pointless because chances are somoenes gonna kill ya before you can start enjoying it...

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2004, 02:00:28 PM »
21. Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.

This is a fallacy.  Governments don't fear people.  People fear people.  That's why people buy guns for "self-defense" in the first place.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2004, 02:21:54 PM »
so dead... you really don't know what would happen if there were open and popular revolt in the U.S. and how effective firearms would be against the government.    for sure tho... they would be better than the alternative.    

And vort.... in the case of the grizszly... you are probly screwed in any case.. lots of cases of people pretending to be dead and then bieng mauled or killed .... either way... you don't have to shoot the bear just because you have a gun... you just have one more choice... more options.

As for the robber at the 7-11 who is no doubt whacked out.... yeah... I trust him to not hurt anyone if we just be nice to him!   Truth is... in the U.S.   you are from 1.7 to 7 times (depending on your sex)less likely to be injured if you resist violence with a firearm than if you don't.   Sorry if the facts don't bear out your theory... but that's how it is with theory's I guess.

lazs

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2004, 02:31:27 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
so dead... you really don't know what would happen if there were open and popular revolt in the U.S. and how effective firearms would be against the government.    for sure tho... they would be better than the alternative.
Not really, considering the alternative I offered was "unrestricted access to MANPADS, Anti-tank weapons, a range of landmines, and ultimately WMDs (as a deterrent, of course)" as well as the firearms you place such faith in. Or are you suggesting that the addition of heavier weapons would be less effective than people armed only with firearms?

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2004, 02:40:09 PM »
do you have any idea of what the U.S. looks like?   In a popular revolt there would be no way that an army could be in all the hot spots at once.  

To say that there is no way that a popular uprising could succeed is silly.   And... just because you start with a Garrand doesn't mean you have to finish with one.   Resistance is allways effective... the better armed the resitance the more effective it is.   that has allways been the case and in a large open country like the U.S. it would even be more so.

hong kong would of course be different.

lazs

Offline hawker238

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2004, 02:46:06 PM »
:rolleyes:

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2004, 02:53:33 PM »
"""what your supposed to do with a grizzly is play dead"""

i don't think you would have to "play dead", i think you would be really dead.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2004, 03:28:21 PM »
Still waiting for a "Gun Control" law that was overturned on 2nd Amendment grounds... anyone? Bueller?

You see. If it were so obvious that we all have the individual right to own guns NONE of these discussions would be taking place. I think that if you all really need the constitution to protect your gun rights you should lobby for another amendment that makes things clear.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2004, 03:37:51 PM »
MT , the right to self protection pre dates the constution, that is what they were trying to say when they wrote the constution.

one of them thar "inalienable rights" that they was talkn about.