Author Topic: AH Voice Possibly the Problem?  (Read 921 times)

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
AH Voice Possibly the Problem?
« on: December 13, 2001, 06:13:00 PM »
I dunno, but it sure seems like a lot of this started happening with AH Voice was introduced.  And the lag seems to be happening at random moments, sometimes when no planes are around, other times when u are on the 6 of a plane, or attacking a GV.  Seems like it might be happening just as ppl are transmitting in the area or something.

Any thoughts on this from HTC?

Nim

Offline Tuck

• Copper Member
      • http://hometown.aol.com/tuck0006/
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2001, 06:31:00 PM »
i agree.....frame rate was so terrible i had to log because i kept getting waxed when i dropped to...what....about TWO frames per second! (no lie).

dunno if it's voice related, or if it's server/routing problem, but it's very irritating (bad enough i couldn't play for three days due to router problems, and now this.)

hopefully, it'll be resolved soon.

by the way...i'd like to say also that i KNOW htc will be working on it if they're aware of the problem (and i'm sure they are).  the reason i say this is that when i had my problem of not being able to get into the ma for three days, i contacted htc, spoke to pyro, and he made every effort to have the chowderheads with theplanet.com find and fix the problem.  (gotta love that dedication to customer satisfaction and personal service.  :D )  so rest assured htc is working on it.

however...for my last and somewhat related squeak:  you squealing newbies (and that's not directed at ALL newbies...just those who think you already know ah better than the rest of us) and yeah, i'll drop the dime: mrblah) should know wtf you're talking about before you start calling people "stupid" and assuming that we "...have sh*tty video cards..." because those of us who are having this problem are letting it be known.

i don't claim to be an expert, nor a seasoned vet of the game, but i have been playing for almost a year, and have NEVER seen problems with the frame rate like this.  furthermore, just becuase YOU aren't having connect/frame rate problems, dosen't mean that other's aren't experiencing problems due to routers/servers.  i haven't seen you're cpid before tonight which either means you ARE a newbie that this comment is directed towards, OR you don't play that much...which is equal to you not knowing enough about how the frame rates usually are for you to be making smart prettythanged comments like i saw you making tonight!  (insert finger gesture here)

sorry if i got sidetracked and whinney...but that, just as i was logging off, really ticked me off.

anyhoo, point of the post is: yeah, there's a problem...it sux...but i hope/feel that it'll be fixed soon because i know htc gives a rat's bellybutton about customer service.    :)

i'm going to have a beer on my birthday now.    :D   :p

The Tuckster

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down."
Col. Chuck Yeager, USAAF

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2001, 06:33:00 PM »
I'm not HTC, but here's what I found:

I installed and ran .92 last night. I closed it, went about my business, then decided to fly. Right away things went bad. I flew straight away to the action, encountered 3 bad guys. I maneuvered, fired, and struck one, shearing its wings and setting it afire. As I turned away I noticed the frames froze- thought I'd locked up! It came unstuck, and I turned to find the other two. When I used the hat I froze again. Two seconds later I unstick, and decide to fly the rest of the fight without the hat. I got nailed right then.

I upped again, saw the same 205 from the fight before. He was lower than me, I hammer him, and he goes on. I use the views, freeze, then his bud gets me. I logged.

Restart the computer, relog, and I fly the rest of the night without so much as a twitch of a problem. Based on that experience, yes, the voice might be a prob in my opinion.

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2001, 06:45:00 PM »
Hmm...I have not installed AH voice and I am still getting the problems.  My plane literally goes to 1 fps ... hell I tried to man a field gun hoping for some relief, nothing, 3 fps.

Hmm...mebbe everyone around me is usin' it tho?

Nim
  • null

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2001, 06:47:00 PM »
The situation I had last night is almost identical to Kieran's.  Reboot cleared it right up.  I also think it is related to Voice.

...but then again, what do I know  :)

F.

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2001, 06:47:00 PM »
Yeah, last night I had some really terrible stutters where it hammered the hard drive and FPS dropped to 1 or less... a couple times I thought my PC had locked up.  I've never had a problem like this before yesterday, and it got so bad I had to log.

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2001, 06:58:00 PM »
It takes quite a bit to slow my machine down, but last night my frame rate was dropping down to the teens and 20's sometimes. Normally it runs at a rock solid 75fps.

Offline the_hegemon

• Copper Member
      • http://127.0.0.1
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2001, 07:06:00 PM »
I've been getting little freezes also.  Run AH with ahvoice, it does it.  Close ahvoice and everythgin else but AH, it still does it.  Reboot, run AH without AH voice and anything else I want in the background, no problems at all.

EDIT:  Okay, never ran ahvoice after reboot, still get stutter/freeze frame in the MA.  Never had this happen until i started using AH voice

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: the_hegemon ]

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: the_hegemon ]

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2001, 08:00:00 PM »
Normal frames 58-78 fps. Today, 38 fps in normal view. Zoomed or transitioning views and I get 1 fps.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2001, 09:59:00 PM »
I doubt it !!!! I have the same thing happening to me, EXACTLY as you described!!!
I am not on RW, and i never downloaded HTC's voice program.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by Kieran:
I'm not HTC, but here's what I found:

I installed and ran .92 last night. I closed it, went about my business, then decided to fly. Right away things went bad. I flew straight away to the action, encountered 3 bad guys. I maneuvered, fired, and struck one, shearing its wings and setting it afire. As I turned away I noticed the frames froze- thought I'd locked up! It came unstuck, and I turned to find the other two. When I used the hat I froze again. Two seconds later I unstick, and decide to fly the rest of the fight without the hat. I got nailed right then.

I upped again, saw the same 205 from the fight before. He was lower than me, I hammer him, and he goes on. I use the views, freeze, then his bud gets me. I logged.

Restart the computer, relog, and I fly the rest of the night without so much as a twitch of a problem. Based on that experience, yes, the voice might be a prob in my opinion.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2001, 10:13:00 PM »
I've run into exactly this problem as well without running AH Voice.  It appears randomly and persists for a minute or two before going away.  I first noticed it maybe three or four days ago; prior to that, I had experienced no framerate slowdowns.

It was so frustrating that I took a snapshot of it one night.  Observe hell:

Offline dsrtrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2001, 10:26:00 PM »
I have been having the same problem. It started a couple days ago and thought it was PC at first. I was able to narrow it down by the end of the day as to when it was affecting me. Everytime it happened to me I was D400 or less from another player. At one point yesterday, it was only when 1 particular player was near me. Everytime this 1 guy got D400 or 500 from me, BLAM, 1 or 2 fps. From avg 65 to 1 or 2 is painful. Hope they can track it down.

Cheers!!!!!!!!  :D

Offline rammjagr

• Zinc Member
      • http://home.san.rr.com/airpower/main.htm
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2001, 01:39:00 AM »
Was wondering the same thing myself. My connections have be *awesome* for weeks; never been disconnected. Then, I log on today and see this system message from server saying AH voice is not active or something. Well, to make a long story short, I think i was disconnected 6 times in 1 hour tonight. Lag was TERRIBLE too.....   :(

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2001, 02:27:00 AM »
Hmm, last time I saw mass-issues like this was in WB, and that turned out to be a nasty new virus.

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2001, 04:28:00 AM »
Perhaps this is connection related (connection to HTC). I noticed the beacon was on, off, on, off, on,... for nearly the entire time I was on (after midnight).

I think Dallas sucks. HTC, let's move you guys to Kansas City where you'll be in the middle of the country!  :D Great internet access you know!  ;)