Author Topic: I NEED HELP. Please READ.  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
I NEED HELP. Please READ.
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2000, 09:04:00 AM »
Skuzzy,  Win ME is not the NT5 (Win2k) kernel, it's still based on Win 9X.  It's Win98 with some changes.  Even in Win ME you can boot to DOS mode if you really try.  Can't do that with an NT kernel product.  However, I agree that they have yanked the networking code from the 2K side and applied it to WinME.  The first consumer OS that uses the NT code base will be "Whistler", and it won't release for at least a year I'd bet.  Whistler will be the "single codebase OS" holy grail.

Can you give me any more details or references about this DNS problem?  You've got me curious.  

BTW, I'm in the QC side of the software business.  If Microsoft shipped Win2k with ONLY 65,000 bugs in it, that is almost unbelievably low based on the number of lines of code in that product.  The accepted industry nubmers is that a programmer will make 6-8 errors/100 lines of code.  If we take the best case, or 6 errors/100 LOCs, then with Win2k having 4 Million LOCs or more, that's at least 240,000 defects that should exist in the product.  They must have worked out one huge pile of them during testing to get it that low.  To ship with that low number of defects shows that they have one of the more advanced software engineering processes in the business.

That said, Skuzzy's advice is sound.  Being on the "bleeding edge" with Operating System software is not a good idea if you want top performance, compatibility, and stability; things we need to run a leading-edge app like Aces High.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"My P-47 is a pretty good ship, she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip.
Just thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip, always got me through so far."
 - Steve Earl

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2000, 10:45:00 AM »
 Sorry animal. Should have thought of that. I uninstalled RW back in the version that incorperated it into the game.

Offline mudder

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2000, 02:06:00 PM »
Is Windows ME really bleeding edge? I thought it was a mild makeover of 98. Anyway I figured, new computer, why not newer OS. Am I having no problems because I have a cable modem? Now my new machine is going to melt is'nt it? DAMN DAMN DAMN buyers remorse (and I made it myself).Well guess I will go get myself shot down in the virtual skys while the sun still shines