Author Topic: Small Maps – a Creeping Process. Hmmm…  (Read 11871 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Small Maps – a Creeping Process. Hmmm…
« Reply #135 on: March 09, 2004, 02:27:06 PM »
There YOU go with those off-topic stats again. Yeah, that C-205 is a wonder-turner for sure; outturns the white zeke easily. I hadn't flown it much in a long time and it took me a while to get semi-comfortable again. I see you choose not to use the current tour stats in the 205. You are always afraid to present the real situation aren't you? :rofl

It has nothing to do with hero worship. After flying both styles over the years it just became apparent to me that the guys that beat you on YOUR terms are much better than the guys that always make sure to meet you on THEIR terms. You are one of the latter, that's all.

The risk-averse style will give you better stats, if you have any skill at all. That's pretty much a no-brainer. You can call it realistic, careful, situationally aware or whatever you like but the names don't change the facts.

Further, most of the guys that can beat you on YOUR terms can do it in any mode. B&Z, Turnfight, situationally aware, whatever; they'll just beat you. Those are the guys I respect and try to emulate.  Who is better, the guy that will likely win in any situation or the guy that wins when he holds the advantage? There's no arrogance to it, just common sense.

Are you really impressed when you're already engaged with two enemies and holding your own and someone swoops down in a Jug or a F4U-1C and blows you out of the sky in one pass? I'm not. But that's good for stats for the Jug or Hog driver.

You assume to much. I don't care if you ever T&B; that's your choice, not mine. It's you that are hung up about it. The reluctance of the greatest film poster of all to post the film of his exciting Jug mission on AKD shows you're overly sensitive about it. Otherwise, you'd post that one like you post so many others showing your incredibly manliness and leet skilz. Matches up well with your proclivity to call all P-51/La-7/Spit/N1K1 drivers "dweebs" as you roll your Cannon Hog out to B&Z the unwary. ;)

Your problem with interlopers is hilarious. Perhaps you could develop a system to reserve block altitudes and times for 1 v 1 fights on any map? Sign up to duel or something?

Two words: MAIN ARENA  Clue: 500+ players.

May I suggest the Dueling Arena if you don't like "interlopers" spoiling your advantage?

Cya, Ol' Shifty.

Hey.. wait... why don't you bring up some more stats? You know, so you can keep your thread on topic?

:rofl :rofl
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 02:31:21 PM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #136 on: March 09, 2004, 02:47:01 PM »
ok... we all agree.... if you don' fly the less survivable planes then you would certainly like the fields and slow moving targets to be spread out and bored into a mild stupor...

If you like combat and don't like the late war monsters you want to have massive fights that tax your skills.   closer fields to get into and back out of the fight sooner.

lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: March 09, 2004, 02:50:18 PM »
Who cares about who's the best pilot, especially in a thread about map rotation? Is that what you spend your $14.95 on? So that you can participate in a contest to judge who's the best pilot? I would rather spend MY $14.95 enjoying the game how I choose, not how someone else chooses! I personally like to fly planes I've read about, or whose pilots I have met, or both.

I looked at the stats for tour 49, that being the last complete tour. Funny how you insist that I should be focussing on looking at your achievements for the last few days when all along you have been pontificating about what you did in years gone by. :lol Now who's the shifty one? Get Slapshot to teach you to dance the Texas 2-step. :rofl

The rest of your post is so.... erm... what is that phrase... off topic! For this reason, my reply need only be brief.

T-P

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #138 on: March 09, 2004, 04:02:20 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
I don't want to see the altitudes reduced either. I love the high alt fights in the Jug, and getting the LA7s out of their comfort zone. I love even more the fact that when a base is put under pressure, the opposition does not have the dweeb option of upping EasyMode™ planes (sorry Steve) from the next base to repel the attack.  

Beetle,    

With all due respect,  doesnt the above really make the point,  "I want the Map to dictate what and how others fly" ?

You support Pizza because it forces LA7 pilots to fly out of thier comfort zone.  You seem to support the Idea that Pizza will limit your opponets aircraft choice when a base in put under pressure.

Isnt your arguement against small maps, really based on not liking the choices open to your opponets??

It seems like Mid-sized maps, such as the FesterMA is the best form of comprimise for all parties,   except it doesnt really force people to fly out of their comfort zone.  

When Hitech came out with the larger maps, I felt then, as I do now,  that it was too large a step.   Mid-size maps make the most sence to me.

I feel that All maps should get fair time,  So I am in agreement with you that Rotations could be improved.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: March 09, 2004, 04:06:26 PM »
"Get Slapshot to teach you to dance the Texas 2-step."

Never have had to learn that dance ... but you are doing a fine job teaching us all about it and your quite good at it too. You must have had plenty of prior experience.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: March 09, 2004, 04:33:25 PM »
Grimm. Nice to hear from you. :)
With all due respect, doesnt the above really make the point, "I want the Map to dictate what and how others fly" ?
Isnt your arguement against small maps, really based on not liking the choices open to your opponets??
No, what I want to see, as always, is balance. I'm not arguing against the small maps. Notice it's always the furballers who whine and clamour for the fields to be moved closer together - even on non-furball maps like Pizza. I never suggested that the fields on the small maps should be spaced out more, or made higher... although I have made that tongue in cheek suggestion in this thread if only to strike a balance with the folks clamouring to have some fields moved closer together on the Pizza map. Sure, it's nice for a jug pilot to have an 11K field to take off from, or for LA7s to be struggling at those dizzy heights. And right now, the pizza map is the only map which has fields at those elevations.

I don't really like the small maps, though they can be OK if not too many people are on. Otherwise, the gameplay seems to become one-sided - the steamroller.

But I'm not pressing for changes to those maps, because I know they are some people's favourite maps. I must admit I was touched by Fester's consideration when he spaced out some of the fields on his maps, and added clouds at 3K so that guys like me could feel at home. ;) At the same time, I don't want to see changes to the pizza map. The range of maps is balanced. Now all we need is for the rotation to become balanced.

Slapshot!
Never have had to learn that dance ... but you are doing a fine job teaching us all about it and your quite good at it too. You must have had plenty of prior experience.
I am? But unlike you, I'd never heard of it! Sounds like a dance Ross Perot might have invented.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #141 on: March 09, 2004, 04:49:09 PM »
Who cares about who's the best pilot, especially in a thread about map rotation?

Only you; you keep bringing up stats and pointing out they show someone "knows nothing" about how to fly "the such and such plane". What it really shows is that you know nothing about how I or anyone else flies, really.

You make the assumption, with a total absence of data, that I couldn't fly the D30 the way you do. One little letter has you all mixed up. I wouldn't fly the D30 the way you do. It would bore me to death. But, if I wanted to, I feel I could do as well. As I pointed out, in the bad old days, we flew the P-51 about like you fly your D30. As you point out, it's our respective $15. Check my sig block. I really don't care what or how you fly. Nor will I ever have much respect for those who strive to fight only from an advantage.

Again, you're the one beating your manly chest and pointing out your three dark chest hairs here. Your tales of derring-do litter this thread. You have belittled my (selected) stats while you have no idea how they were achieved or the overall picture. I think you got a glimmer when you tried the F4U-1 when I suggested it though. ;) You didn't last long in that, did you? It's a hard plane to do well in, isn't it?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #142 on: March 09, 2004, 05:17:46 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Only you; you keep bringing up stats and pointing out they show someone "knows nothing" about how to fly "the such and such plane". What it really shows is that you know nothing about how I or anyone else flies, really.
Oh, so that's it. What has rankled all this time is the mere mention that I landed 5 kills in one of those pizza map sorties. Is that why you want the film? So you can pull it apart? because it has bugger all to do with the type of engagement that was possible on the pizza map on Friday. To gain an objective assessment, you would need the films of all ten people who were present. But please tell me why MY film (one out of a possible ten from that engagement) could be so important to you in a thread about map rotation?
I wouldn't fly the D30 the way you do. It would bore me to death.
Bores you to death? But by flying it *your* way provides you with your own personalised fasttrack to death, and cuts out the boredom. I can see why you prefer it! :lol
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 06:54:29 PM by beet1e »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: March 09, 2004, 07:30:07 PM »
Simple. It clearly illustrates what you're looking for in the game, which, IMO, appears to be the opportunity to always have the advantage; the "no interlopers", minimal risk profiles you prefer to fly.

Thus, knowing that you basically want no interference when you're pouncing some guy, it's quite understandable why you would want the fields as far apart as possible. You're risk averse; closer fields raise the risk of a dreaded "interloper". (It also explains why Beet, the film-postingest chest-thumper on this BBS suddenly can't find the nerve to put up his heroic D30 sortie. The sudden reticence seems to show your true feelings as well.)

Conversely, it's easy to understand why someone like Leviathan (for jsut one instance) isn't bothered by "interlopers" and likely welcomes them. He probably views them as a steady stream of "fresh meat".

Flying my way allows me to continually attempt to win the fights I shouldn't win. That's where I feel I get value from the time invested.

For example, I suspect everyone vultches at one time or another or maybe whenever they can. But I would think it's the rare guy that actually feeds his ego on the thin gruel of vultching. You SHOULD be able to vultch. You're holding just about every card in the deck. If vultching was all there was, how long would it hold anyone's interest.

No, for me, winning the ones you shouldn't win makes the game.

I'll understand if you don't understand. In fact, I doubt you will.

:p

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #144 on: March 09, 2004, 07:38:41 PM »
In my spitV I interloped on Lev last night, they were both 1v'1's.
Gosh what fun.  Todd, next time I'm not waitin for you to come back to the KB.     :D

Oh my,, this is off topic.... sorry.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #145 on: March 09, 2004, 08:09:24 PM »
for me, winning the ones you shouldn't win makes the game.

It's interesting how you finally get to that point. The last couple of tours including this one I've spent getting in WAY to deep.  I'm getting the snot beat out of me on a nightly basis.

So I tell myself, dammit were going to land this one, play it smart don't get in too deep.

It's a fine edge. Flying with Hooley last night I found the edge. First time in FUGGING MONTHS.

Playing it safe isn't an option, being on the edge is where it's at for me.

Flying "safe" to me isn't fun.  Been there done that. Got ALL pissed off if I died.  Found I wasn't having fun.

When I win one I shouldn't it just doesn't get any better.

That explains the snot..
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 08:11:26 PM by nopoop »
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #146 on: March 09, 2004, 08:19:06 PM »
Simple. It clearly illustrates what you're looking for in the game, which, IMO, appears to be the opportunity to always have the advantage; the "no interlopers", minimal risk profiles you prefer to fly.  
...which has nothing to do with the topic under discussion - map rotation. But I know you. I know how you like to hold court from the safety of your TAS soapbox. Well guess what? To use your own words, I'm not going to be doing your homework for you. So you won't be getting that film.
Thus, knowing that you basically want no interference when you're pouncing some guy, it's quite understandable why you would want the fields as far apart as possible. You're risk averse; closer fields raise the risk of a dreaded "interloper". (It also explains why Beet, the film-postingest chest-thumper on this BBS suddenly can't find the nerve to put up his heroic D30 sortie. The sudden reticence seems to show your true feelings as well.)
The keyword is BALANCE. When I flew out to that Bish field, the defence clearly had an advantage over me in some cases, in the form of co-alt spit and much higher MOSS - against my heavy jug. If closer fields raise the risk of an interloper, then more widely spaced fields ensure a level playing field. The battle has to be between the two bases waging war. Of course, there's nothing to stop an interloper - if he has the attention span to make the 6 minute flight. :lol - which is what I had to do to get to the battle zone in the first place.
Conversely, it's easy to understand why someone like Leviathan (for jsut one instance) isn't bothered by "interlopers" and likely welcomes them. He probably views them as a steady stream of "fresh meat".
Ah yes, Leviathn. I saw him the other day, just before I shot down a formation of LANCs in my F6F. He was flying low to the opposition - in a Spit, I believe. I warned that there were four cons ahead of him, but he either didn't hear or chose to ignore the warning, and was soon dead. I filmed the sortie, but only the part where I got the LANCs, not what went before. I then spotted a formation of B17s. Rather than push my luck, I simply landed my 7 kills. Poor Leviathn. I did my best to save him...

In another sortie, I saw Fester come in to a field in a P47 from the window of my F4U1D. I cleared his 6 one time (scratch 1xP51) but not long after, he pushed his luck too hard and paid the ultimate price. I was quite happy to work within my (many) limitations, and at the end of it to RTB and land my 6 kills. I do have that whole thing on film.

What was that old saying in RL flying circles? Something like "A superior pilot uses his superior judgement so that he will never have to deploy his superior skill".

Still. I wouldn't know about that. I'm a humble and modest USN pilot. :D;) - muhahahahah :D:rofl

Hi Steve! Feel free to be off topic in my thread. I owe you that much. :)

And now... we're way into T-P time, so...

...Toodle-Pip :D

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #147 on: March 09, 2004, 08:56:22 PM »
What was that old saying in RL flying circles? Something like "A superior pilot uses his superior judgement so that he will never have to deploy his superior skill".
[/B]

I'm pretty sure that dying there was no skin off my back.  You confuse superior judgement with lack of caring.  This isn't real life; my "judgement" isn't under scrutiny.  I easily could have grabbed in the opposite direction and come back with speed and altitude on those enemies and, possibly, I would have killed them all.

But I didn't feel like doing that, so I didn't.  I chose to take my chances and see what I could make of it.  I purposefully flew low into bad odds because I felt like it.

What exactly was your point?

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: March 09, 2004, 09:02:44 PM »
No homework at all involved. We all know how you fly. Your reluctance to post the film is merely further confirmation.

I seriously doubt either Levi or Cit cares if you "clear their six" (isn't that just a dandy minimal-risk way to raise your stats? Congrats! Kill those dudes that are already engaged... it's the bestest! :rofl)

Nor do I think they care if they get shot down. Perhaps NoPoop explained it better, in a way you might understand. Suffice to say both Cit and Levi probably have done what you now do, only better than you'll ever be. Now they aren't so risk averse, are they?

I think we all know where most of the superior pilots hang out. If you're in doubt, ask Cit, Levi, Shane, WT, Nomak and many others to take you to the DA sometime when you're feeling "interloped" in the MA. See how your superior skills match up.

They always hand me my...... hat...... when I engage them. Let's see how you do.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #149 on: March 09, 2004, 09:31:47 PM »
Yank this, pull that, it never changes.

In my heart hearts beet I know you are a flightsim GOD.

You have the film to prove it.  I'm sure you will fill us all in wiith the pertinent stats when needed.  You always do.

Ego is a funny thing.  Being I'm one of those "old" guys that you refered too, I find it increasingly amusing as I get older.

Be comfortable in the fact that in a few short years your preoccupation with the size of your manhood will become less of a fixation.

You won't need anyones affirmation to KNOW you are sporting a tarpaper roll.

And then you'll enjoy these demostrative proclamations as much as I.

It just takes time..
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..