Author Topic: plse unperk the tempest  (Read 3558 times)

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2004, 11:44:31 AM »
As an avid Tempest flyer i have to say that the Tempest does deserve perk status. Its acceleration and guns give enormous closind speed and killing power. Ive been caught exactly 4 times in 3 years playing aces high..and they were all from a pilot trimming his plane at 500+ to stay with me. Its an awesome ride.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2004, 11:46:09 AM »
wow wtg jaxx :aok

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2004, 12:08:39 PM »
i grabbed a tempest by accident (missed typh with the mouse, ended up in tempest) but didnt figure it out until near end of each flight. The fuel tanks clued me in.

you're lucky I didn't realize I had done it till I was 1.2 away from the ostwind I was trying to strafe and a squaddie says  over vox "uhhhh... Soulyss... you know that's a tempest right?"  I believe my exact response was "...what?" before I was blown into itty bitty pieces, what followed on vox cannot be repeated here or in polite company. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2004, 03:39:29 PM »
Originally posted by Heretik
Tempest can't be un-perked because... uh... it has less ammo than a niki and can't turn with an la7... yeah...

and uh... Spit14 can't be un-perked because... it uh... has a 5 bladed prop...   .... myep.... can't have that....

It's the fastest prop plane OTD, Mil or WEP..and who cant turn with an La7? sheesh :)

Offline HavocTM

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.bops.us
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2004, 08:29:12 AM »
It would be cool if all the perk planes were listed together at the bottom of the page to avoid the 'flying while drunk' loss of perks late at night! LOL

Somehow F4U4 looks a lot like F4U1, Spit XIV looks like Spit IX and Tempest looks like Typhoon.

That plus somehow when drinking it seems like a great idea to fly a heavy tempest NOE into a fully CAPped base.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2004, 09:09:01 AM »
:rofl  yup.  its a curse i think.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2004, 06:40:43 PM »
Tempest can't be un-perked because... uh... it has less ammo than a niki and can't turn with an la7... yeah...     and uh... Spit14 can't be un-perked because... it uh... has a 5 bladed prop... .... myep.... can't have that....

Sorry but in that case the problem really doesn't lie in the plane...

Fact is, it out accelerates every other plane in the MA except for the 262 and 163. 262 only when the 262 already has got a good deal of speed.  It outzoom about every other plane in the arena. Its engine is good up to and beyond 20k compared to the LA7.
It climbs better then all other planes except for 109 G10 and Spit 14. It's got FOUR FREAKING HIZOOKAS with a good deal of ammo, one quick burts with 2 or 3 pings on the enemy plane is almost always enough and you can get kills easily at 500 yards or more. I've lost my 262 tail to a single hizooka ping from 1.1k fired (sprayed) by a tiffie.

Spit 14? Best climber in the game, hizookas, good turner, exelent B&Z plane, very good acceleration.

I could go with a perk decrease, tempest say 40 or 50 and spit 14 maybe 30. But unperk em? Ya'll drunk?
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline DmdBT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.damned.org
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2004, 06:50:39 PM »
Do you think its time to put this whine on the other side of the fence?

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2004, 02:56:24 AM »
Well sort of BT, personally I just can't see how anyone could think the plane should or even could be unperked, like I said, a lower perk cost, sure thing, that way we can see more of them and people with less perks and who fly less can afford them but unperking it just isent a realistic choice IMO. If the Tempest is unperked then so should every other perk prop fighter and then there would be almost only tempest in the MA.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2004, 03:29:07 AM »
Frankly Wil, when people have free access to the La-7, it's pretty unfair for the Brit fans as to see the Tempest being perked, and at such high prices, too.

Now, before you go and say the Temp is different from the La-7, listen to this:

For vastly superior armament of quad-Hizookas, ordnance, and a bit better high alt performance(but the Temp's not an exceptional performer at high alts, too), let's say we give each of those attributes a 4 point perk worth.

This 4 point perk per attribute assumption is not arbitrary - I'm basing it on the C-hog.

The C-hog is not an exceptional performer, and the D-hog which has very simular flight characteristics and even more ordnance, is non-perked.

People overused it due to the fact that the balanced qualities in armament(literally, the Hizooka made exceptionally effective thanks to AH style of damage infliction), possibility of carrier operations, and a heavy overloaded strike package, made it the one-and-all plane of choice. Quad-Hizookas of nearly 900 rounds of cannon made it possible for people to achieve phenomenal numbers of kills, at the same time, being able to carry heavy ordnance. It was THE vulch-craft.

Thus, it was finally decided to be perked at 8 points. So, divide the 8 perks by the two characteristics that made it an overused plane - and you get 4 points per attribute.

In that case, 4 points for Quad-Hizookas, 4 points for 2000lbs ordnance, another 4 points for pure performance - and that's still only 12 points. The Tempest is overperked by at least 58 points.

Or rather, if the Tempy should be perked at 70 points, subtract the three major attributes the La-7 lacks compared to the Tempy and it's still 58 points left - meaning: the La-7 should be perked at 58 points, of considering it should be fair.

Same thing with the Spit14.

Compare it to the Bf109G-10 which climbs the same as the Spit14, has twice the WEP duration, faster than the Spit14 at lower alts, same speed at high alts, but suffers from inferior balance of maneuverability and control heaviness at high speeds. Also, weaker armament(if not weak in power, a la MK108, then weak in effectivity).

So, 4 points for exceptional climb qualities, 4 points for overall balance between speed and maneuverability, 4 points for Hizookas - 12 points. Subtract 12 points from the 60 point Spit14, and the Bf109G-10 should be a 48 point plane, in all due fairness to the RAF fans.  

It's pretty obvious then.

Four possible solutions:

1) leave it as it is
2) unperk all of them
3) lower the perks on the Tempy, 4Hog, and Spit14 and Ta152.
4) lightly perk all of the late war planes.

1) is really unfair. 2) is unacceptable.

It should be either "3) or 4)", or, "3) and 4)"

Personally, I choose "3) and 4)". All the late war planes should be perked lightly, according to the logic and agenda which I have been lobbying for a long time(details in my sig).

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2004, 06:49:33 AM »
Dang Kweassa, you wrote alot to try and convince me of something that I already agree with you upon :D

Frankly Wil, when people have free access to the La-7, it's pretty unfair for the Brit fans as to see the Tempest being perked, and at such high prices, too.

Well, when people have free access to the LA7 it's pretty unfair for both Brits fans (Tempest, spit 14) and LW Fans (Ta152) to have any of those perk planes perked. Sure enough the Ta152 has superior zoom to about every plane, AT 30K!

Now, before you go and say the Temp is different from the La-7, listen to this:

I don't think the La7 is much different, it's got a 20mm less but they are all noce mounted. It accelerates ALMOST as good as tht tempest, it zooms as good and turns with it. Perosnally I think that if the tempest is perked so should the LA7 be, only slightly cheaper.

As for spit 14, once again I agree, it's vastly overperked like almost every other perk plane in AH (cept for the 262 and Me163). 20 perks tops for it. G10 perked? Uhmm, no, not easy enough to get kills with due to bad armament, if you mount 3x20's on it it's no longer worth being perked performance wise. but lower Spit 14 perk, definatly.

If the tempest and Spit 14 should be lowered so should the F4u4 and the Ta152 (although the Ta152 is the cheapest of the perkies part from the C hog it is also the worst of the perkies inclduing the C-hog)

So I agree with you on pretty much every point except that all late war planes should be perked at a low price. But I don't agree with the "unperk the tempest" whine.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2004, 07:37:16 AM »
the temp owns the la7 in all engagements. at all alts. in all styles.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2004, 12:57:22 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
the temp owns the la7 in all engagements. at all alts. in all styles.

I've got to agree on this. The Tempest is the only perk plane I like to fly. I fly it specifically to hunt La7's. I am not the best pilot in the world, but in a Tempest just about any La7 is easy meat even for me (with the probable exception of Shane heh). I can only think of one area the La7 is superior to the Tempest and that is roll rate.

Zazen
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 01:02:34 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2004, 01:58:04 PM »
Should lower the perks on the Temp and the F4u4.

Offline Zaphod

• Copper Member
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2004, 04:48:26 PM »
I hardly ever get involved in this kind of debate but I just felt like throwing my two cents in.

I agree that the Tempest, Ta152  and the Spit14 are priced a bit high.  I base my assessment of this on the frequency that I see them fly.  I'm not saying that the sky should be full of them however I rarely see them, to the point that I go days without seeing either of them.  

I'm thinking that the perk system is basically designed to limit a certain planes use so that we don't wind up all flying just 2 or 3 types.  To that end I would think that any plane that is otherwise a good plane and is not being seen with any frequency at all would then be one to look at as far as perk cost.  I'm wondering why the perk prices couldn't vary a little more.  In other words is it something that is hard to adjust for HiTech, (not a programmer here).  I would think you could just kind of adjust the cost then check for frequency then readjust as needed until a nice balance is struck.  Of course this would apply to adding perks to planes that are seen with a great amount of frequency...such as the La7, Mustang (and yes I fly that bird regularly), Nik and Spit9.  On the other side of the coin you are now limiting gameplay for other players...I guess it all boils down to striking that balance.  It seems to me the only way to find out is to try it and see what happens.  

As far as perking the late war set of planes I'm not so sure about that.  The late war planes are already usually pretty good at staying out of trouble due to speed.  They also lend themselves to a timid sort of flying anyway.  It seems to me that if you perk them then alot of the folks flying them would be even more likely to be pretty timid, which doesnt really lend itself to good gameplay.

Oh well, that my two cents worth (thats about all it's worth too lol)

Zaphod