Author Topic: Lets Base From The Moon And Land On Mars  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Lets Base From The Moon And Land On Mars
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2004, 08:16:29 AM »
Actually the Moon rotates around it's axis once every 27.32166 days and it orbits the Earth once every 27.32166 days.  This is why only once side of the Moon faces Earth at all times.

A lunar day lasts an average of 29.53059 days.

The orbit inclination is 5.1454 degrees.

The off axis inclination is 1.5424 degrees.

The Moon's escape velocity at the equator is 2.38km/sec.
-----

Miko, nothing is impossible until you accept it is.  Up to that point things are only improbable.  It was not too long ago people thought it impossble to circumnavigate the Earth in a ship.  They were just as tenacious in their beliefs as you are.
Fortunately, there were others who took that as a challenge and proved them wrong.  I would hate to think what this world would be like if we succumbed to every 'doubting Thomas' that came along.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2004, 11:58:53 PM »
What about the aliens at the dark side of the Moon? :D

I don't think they like noisy neighbors :)

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2004, 12:20:55 AM »
You folks are making it way too complicated if it is not complicated enough anyway.

In a heat engine, all you need is differential temperature.  On the moon, as well as on the ISS, temperature in direct sunlight is like 100C and in shade it is like -170C.  Plenty dT for a steam cycle, better if with another working fluid.

Water is available in ice near the poles of the moon, and other elements are available so manufacture of fluids may be possible.

You don't have to go around the moon to find shade, just behind a ridge will do.  Build a sunshade and you could have a decent dT.

Heat can be radiated to space with radiators like the panels on the cargo bay doors of the shuttle.  All they need is to be in the shade.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline LWACE

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2004, 12:55:04 AM »
i agree the moon would be easier to colonize, and mine from. Its already been said, we know very very little about asteroids, they are so far away we can study them very well.

The moon is right there, we've mapped it out and everything, we know alot more about it and where possible sources would be.

I also agree with skuzzy that anythings possible until proven impossible. Look at how much we have done already, rightnow as we speak we have got 2 working rovers running around mars taking pictures and drilling rocks, If you woulda told someone 50 or so years ago that was gonna happen, theyd prob laugh at you.

But, i do like the Asteroid idea, after we've learnd more about them. I think both ideas would be possible, its just gonna take alota money, hardwork, and time. Sure would be neat lol to live on an asteroid near Saturn, crazy stuff.

I think its pretty easy to see, its just a matter of time before we are on Mars and have it colonized, with alot of time my guess is slowly it will be turnd back into a liveable planet.

Of course all this stuff is quite aways away, i doubt the only thing we'll see in our life time is, some Manned missions to mars,and  the first steps to making the moon a "base".

Interesting stuff anyhow:aok :D

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2004, 02:36:21 PM »
You are back to the discussion of my character flaws... Your analogy are totally false and blame on me exactly what you are doing.

I was not discussing your character flaws.  However, since you brought it up, you play that card everytime someone disagrees with you.

It is you who is doubting that humanity can truly expand - to the Belt and beyong, not just huddle on planets.

Again, putting words in my mouth instead of just asking if I had any doubts.  You see, you specifically said it was 'impossible' to colonize the Moon.  I did not.

People like you thought it impossible to sail open seas and only travelled along the shorelines - even though the compass and solar navigation had been known for centuries. You cannot circumnavigate the Earth while sticking to the shorelines, as you propose. You cannot expand into space by sticking to the planets.

Again putting words in my mouth.  I did not say anything about sticking to the shoreline in reference to circumnavigating the globe.  People believed that the world was flat, and if sailed to the Sun over the ocean, you would fall off the Earth.   Adding more to my analogy does not make it any less valid.
Going to the Moon is a baby step in the grand scheme of things.

Last note:  You continue to put words in my mouth which wastes time in attempting to have a discussion with you.  Personally, I do not believe you can have a discussion without resorting to that tactic.

As such, I am out of this thread.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline hawker238

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2004, 03:23:08 PM »
Think of the exposure to debris at and on a trip to the belt.  I know a real asteroid field has rocks every mile or so apart, far from those depicted in movies, but there would undoubtedly be small particles that could easily damage any operation sent there.

A paint chip cracked a shuttle's window.  Imagine what a pebble would do.

The moon offers much greater safety than inter-planetary travel.  Its close, cheaper/faster to reach, and has the benefit of gravity (you could send crews for longer rotations than those on the space station since they suffer less no-gravity illnesses).

Offline hawker238

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2004, 03:28:12 PM »
Does anyone know what percentage of photons are being harnessed by current solar panels?  I wouldn't doubt a huge advance in that technology in the next two centuries, since its one of the few constants we have (for the next few hundred eras, anyways).

We have to expand.  New signature:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 03:31:36 PM by hawker238 »

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2004, 07:19:14 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
...... laser excited plasma directed at a capture shield on the incoming mass....

Hey there are kids around here!
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann