Author Topic: Funked:New WRX in the neighborhood  (Read 6001 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Funked:New WRX in the neighborhood
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2004, 03:01:41 PM »
Originally posted by FUNKED1
Awww man all this talk about Subies is making me horny.  Gonna go drive Palomares tonight.  :)

If you ever come down this way you gotta do the Ortega Highway.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2004, 03:05:53 PM »
Originally posted by pugg666
Funk,

How's the overall reliability of the WRX? I was thinking about picking one up in about a year.

It's very good.  The body style was new for 2002, but the EJ20T motor and AWD drive train and the suspension are well proven through 10 years of development.  The motor and drive train are used all over the world in Group N rallying which is a pretty good test of durability.

In the WRX online community we have several guys over 100k already with no problems, even guys with modified cars and guys who auto-x, track, rally, etc.

I have 30 something k miles.  The only mech. problem I have had is a clutch shudder which is covered under TSB/warranty.  It only affects '02 cars.

There are a lot of stories of transmission failures, but those invariably involve modified engines.  The stock tranny is only good for about 300-325 hp.  The STi has a different tranny (6 speed) which will handle a lot more power.  If there is a weak point of the standard WRX it is the 5 speed transmission.

There are some engine failure stories too, but again it seems to be the guys who modify the motor, especially the guys who try to run a lot more boost without upgrading internals.

I also hear of problems with (plastic) rear anti roll bar endlinks cracking and with the steering rack bushings cracking.  I think this might be a symptom of guys with lowered cars though.

Everything else seems to hold up pretty well.  For a car with 3 differentials, 5 driveshafts, 8 CV joints, 4 camshafts, and three radiators, I'm pretty impressed.  

Supposedly they can get rattly with age but mine is still solid.  It's pretty quiet other than tire and engine noise, despite the fact that there is almost none of the (heavy) sound insulation material you see on the high end brands.

The metal parts are really robust, but they went with really light stuff as far as plastic stuff to save weight.  One of my fender liners is starting to crack.  That stuff is cheap to replace though.

A lot of guys whine about paint chips but I'm not seeing anything worse than other cars I have owned.

PS some more nitpicky stuff:
- Stock brakes could fade on 8/10ths mountain driving, like repeatedly going to 80mph then down to 25mph and back up again.  When I did pads and fluid (30k miles) I went to slotted rotors, stainless steel brake lines, and some high temperature pads.  Problem solved.
- It uses a little oil.  ~1 qt per 5k miles.  I'm keeping an eye on that.  I'm told it's normal if you drive "on the boost" too much, and I'm guilty of that.  No leaks at all, it's what they call "blowby".
- 1st gear synchro very stiff.  You pretty much need to double-declutch to get 1st when rolling.  I think they chose durability over ease of use here.
- Very little sound insulation + Lots of gears and shafts = Strange noises.  Some people are put off by this at first.  I kind of enjoy it, but then I am a nerd wannabee rally dude.  :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 03:22:08 PM by FUNKED1 »

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2004, 03:17:46 PM »
Originally posted by Steve:

I'm sure it's quick but with that many horses out of such a litlle mill

The specs coming out of some mag is that it turns mid-13s in the 1/4. I could beat the old WRX model, but not this one. Of course, it always comes down to the driver in the end.

Supercharged is the way to go!

:aok

(2000 GP GTP with some mods. Haven't lost to a ricer yet)

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2004, 03:24:53 PM »
Stony I guarantee I can beat you by 3 car lengths from any stoplight.*

*If there is a foot of snow on the ground. :D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 03:27:29 PM by FUNKED1 »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2004, 03:25:36 PM »
Originally posted by pugg666
Funk,

How's the overall reliability of the WRX? I was thinking about picking one up in about a year.

FWIW, you can use JD's website for one of many that rank reliability:

http://www.jdpower.com/auto/jdpa_ratings/FindJdAwards.jsp

I've used many sources, they all vary slightly but most are consistent with one another regarding specific reliability within reason.(Note, this is not saying their data concerning a specific model is reliable, I'm only saying that most of their data is consistent with one another.  If its ranked low for a Ford Taurus at JD, its ranked low at Consumer Reports, that is not to say that some owners have relatively few problems. )

One more thing, recalls are not a good way to measure reliability, since just about every car made has some sort of recall (Seems to be the norm these days, worry about quality once its off the factory floor to meet your deadline) but they're certainly worth looking up and knowing what you plan to buy has been checked, and acted upon, on any outstanding recalls, you can do that here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 03:33:07 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2004, 03:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Funked:

Stony I guarantee I can beat you by 3 car lengths from any stoplight

And what are you driving? If it's the old WRX, maybe if the light's are 100 yards apart. In the 1/4 mile, you will lose. If the lights have some distance between them, you'll lose. I raced one of the old WRXs and he lost(between lights). I saw an older one at the track and the best he could turn was high 15s and low 16s. Our course, he probably wasn't a very good driver.

Punt!

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2004, 03:44:27 PM »
Consumer Reports has the best reliability info by far.  It's worth subscribing if you are in the market for a new car.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2004, 03:45:24 PM »
2stony read the fine print.

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2004, 03:49:00 PM »
Ah, I see it now. Of course, if there were a foot of snow on the ground, I'd be racing with my Jeep.

<<>>

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2004, 04:03:38 PM »
No fair.  :)

Offline LAWCobra

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.lawsquadron.cjb.net
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2004, 04:49:45 PM »
Went and test drove one today:D
LOL that car will just plain leave your nutt's in the back seat.:aok

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2004, 04:55:43 PM »
Originally posted by 2stony
Ah, I see it now. Of course, if there were a foot of snow on the ground, I'd be racing with my Jeep.

<<>>

I once told the security guard at work I'd race him for pinks but I pick the place.  He didnt know they I drove a Jeep and the track was gonna be an offroad test sight. :)

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2004, 06:27:33 PM »
Supercharged is the way to go!

:aok

(2000 GP GTP with some mods. Haven't lost to a ricer yet)

Im not ricer,  but i would put some money on a race with yas ;)

(Chrysler Sebring)

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2004, 06:44:41 PM »
Originally posted by WldThing:

Im not ricer, but i would put some money on a race with yas

Chrysler Sebring? If you're stock, you're toast. What do those run the 1/4 in? The hp ratings I've seen are 200 stock. Unless you've done a bunch of mods to your car, you are definately toast. A stock Sebring would be lucky to get in the low 16s.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2004, 06:48:26 PM »
Originally posted by Funked:

And what are you driving? If it's the old WRX, maybe if the light's are 100 yards apart. In the 1/4 mile, you will lose. If the lights have some distance between them, you'll lose. I raced one of the old WRXs and he lost(between lights). I saw an older one at the track and the best he could turn was high 15s and low 16s. Our course, he probably wasn't a very good driver.

Punt!

There's not an "old version" of the WRX in the US.  You're probably seeing the 2.5 RS.  They had all the WRX bodywork and suspension but no turbo.  15 to 16 sec car.
WRX is a mid-low 14's car unless it's an auto.
STi is about a sec quicker.
That's assuming the driver doesn't suck though.  :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 06:58:01 PM by FUNKED1 »