Author Topic: China executes Official for bribes  (Read 837 times)

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
China executes Official for bribes
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2004, 04:35:06 PM »
Originally posted by Dago
I am in favor of capital punishment for government officials convicted of soliciting or accepting bribes.

My feelings are also that a government official accepting a bribe is about more than just a small simple financial crime, it's about a breakdown of a society, a governement and a loss of integrity in a system.  The implications and results are huge in the overall scheme of  things.

This is a situation where knowledge of the punishment should and would certainly act as a deterant.  For those stupid enough, greedy enough, or arrogant enough to accpet a bribe knowing the risk, their death would improve the gene pool anyway.

dago

Oh, my !!!

Italy will remain without public officers.

;)

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2004, 04:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster
I almost have to wonder what they did to get him to confess to a crime punishable by death.

To save his wife and kid's maybee?

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2004, 05:10:30 PM »
China does this every few years or so. It seems to have 2 purposes:

1) To tell the rest of the world (in particular large western corporations) that China is fighting corruption.

2) To encourage the rest of the politicians to reign in their more obvious excesses.

Corruption is endemic in China, and is generally accepted as long as it is not too blatant.