Author Topic: wtg htc!!  (Read 1953 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
wtg htc!!
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2004, 11:42:29 AM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
Lol, exactly! Night was great for those who had no intention of actually fighting but wanted to get a 'free pass' to a 'porkable' target. Good riddance, I say.

Dont need darkess to pork feilds. I can and will do it anytime. anywhere.
few p[eople ever actually TRY to stop me anyway.
Now I will redouble my efforts
Heh, you aint seen baseporking ..yet:D
I liked the night cause of the effect. Bases looking like Bahgdad during Gulf War 1
The Silloette of the moonlight reflecting off of bombers. the stars, the moon
was wonderful to look at
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 11:45:12 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
wtg htc!!
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2004, 11:48:46 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Make that two.
 I liked the night
any of you  yo yos ever considering adjusting the brightness on your monitor or Graphic card software?

On the one hand you say you like night. Then you say you manipulate your card's gamma settings to nullify it's effects...lol
Manipulating your gamma settings too far from baseline can shorten the life of your monitor by the way.

Just the fact that night's effects are so easily manipulated by the players is reason enough to remove it from play until a more robust implementation that precludes user manipulation and more closely resembles the actual real life conditions can be programmed, including the modelling of the various night specific ground and air equipment that made night fighting what it really was in WW2 (searchlights, specially equipped aircraft etc.). Night fighting was not a bunch of daylight aircraft pork and augering into field strats with little fear of interception or air to air retribution...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 11:51:09 AM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
wtg htc!!
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2004, 11:48:50 AM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
Need that beauty sleep, eh? :)
Yes, I actually need all the beauty sleep I can get!  But please keep the night in AH!  :p
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline MadMan

• Copper Member
wtg htc!!
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2004, 11:59:50 AM »
very disppointed that a handful whine about night and you get rid of it, and nightime is a GOOD thing.

But a couple hundred complain about Pizza, and yet it is still in rotation.  

Almost disappointed to the point of heading elsewhere.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
wtg htc!!
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2004, 12:18:16 PM »
On the one hand you say you like night. Then you say you manipulate your card's gamma settings to nullify it's effects...lol

No, he suggested that you manipulate the gamma settings on your computer.

Just the fact that night's effects are so easily manipulated by the players is reason enough to remove it from play until a more robust implementation that precludes user manipulation and more closely resembles the actual real life conditions can be programmed, including the modelling of the various night specific ground and air equipment that made night fighting what it really was in WW2 (searchlights, specially equipped aircraft etc.). Night fighting was not a bunch of daylight aircraft pork and augering into field strats with little fear of interception or air to air retribution...

So, do away with anything that doesn't "resemble the actual real life conditions" of WWII?  LOL, indeed.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Happy1

• Nickel Member
wtg htc!!
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2004, 12:43:05 PM »
Personally,  I need ALL the help I can get in shooting down planes
as I'm NOT a hot-shot, dead eye pilot, however, I seem to do better at NITE than daytime, yes there were nite planes in ETO &
PTO who became aces at their skills, point of fact.

Taking USN aircraft or a Niki hides ur plane very well, colors Navy Blue & dk. green.  A kill is a kill no matter when.

Keep the nite action, I say, & let the nite fights begin in all phases
of arenas, from H2H to MA  :aok

Happy1  :D <----- needs P47 ammo load in a Spitefire14 frame-->

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
wtg htc!!
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2004, 12:46:17 PM »
In WW2, weren't some planes dedicated to night fighting?

What i'm trying to get at is to have "Night Fighting" skins for most planes.  That way you can choose one for when it's night time.

If you really want to take a bright silver P51d, go right ahead.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Adogg

• Copper Member
... see your problem is you think you have some semblance of an argument...
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2004, 01:07:45 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
In WWII they didn't have your autofiring and they did not have dayfighters doing nitefiter duty.   seems simple enough.

lazs

Quite. They didn't have auto-aim, nor did the earth cease rotating so the sun could bake Europe and Japan between september 1939 and may 1945.

The solution is not to simply do away with night. Anymore than getting rid of pizza map is the best way to deal with its shortfalls.

If you don't like flying during the night pick a different strategy, use a gv, or petition HTC to actually produce night fighters.

The icons should be harder to see. I agree that as they stand they're a friggin sign post and an impediment to the concept of night time flying but they can be fixed.

-see part 2

Offline Adogg

• Copper Member
part 2
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2004, 01:08:26 PM »
Heck let's get rid of dot dar. WW2 fighters didn't have enemy positions clearly displayed for them.  Bar dar is only moderately better. Radar would be better served if there was an occasional text message put out by the system stating where enemy planes were making incursions. British radar relied on a central dispatching service of sorts. I bet you'd find your daytime flying a lot more challenging without these "realistic" enhancements.

While we're on the point of night time flying, there's no law of physics that says a day fighter couldn't get off the ground and fly to a target. It's chances of making it to the target (or staying airbourne) were slim to none - but not physically impossible.

Petitioning to get a part of the game others enjoy deleted is unfair to those who pay to play just as you do. HTC has made a mistake in this case ... the movement to erase pizza was far more coherent and better supported than removing a day part because a few players *****ed about it. In fact removing Pizza would be a mistake too. But i digress.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 01:12:26 PM by Adogg »

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
wtg htc!!
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2004, 01:21:44 PM »
Adogg, as others have suggested, you can just turn your monitor way down when you want to simulate night.  Turning up monitors is what people told night haters to do in order to game night out.  Ergo, you can game night back in... turn that monitor down!
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline MadMan

• Copper Member
wtg htc!!
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2004, 01:23:20 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
Adogg, as others have suggested, you can just turn your monitor way down when you want to simulate night.  Turning up monitors is what people told night haters to do in order to game night out.  Ergo, you can game night back in... turn that monitor down!

Or when night time comes around you could always jack up your gamma liek you probhably did anyway

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
wtg htc!!
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2004, 01:24:28 PM »
Madman, you're a couple of pages behind in the script.

Try to keep up.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
wtg htc!!
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2004, 02:00:14 PM »
THANK COD! PRAISE CHEEZES!

HT, definitely a step in the right direction. Nite suxxed badly.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
wtg htc!!
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2004, 02:56:28 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
I don't think auto firing would be very realistic but having day fighter planes only fly in the daytime seems pretty realistic eh?

lazs

So the Germans didn't institute the Wilde Sau program using day fighters roaming defined air-defense zones at night to attack incoming Allied bombers? I would point you at Jagdgeschwader 301/302 "Wilde Sau" for a book about the two Luftwaffe fighter squadrons that did exactly that.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
wtg htc!!
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2004, 03:05:23 PM »
so much for timing those lancaster HQ raids to fall in the darkeness when over target............

Also, theres a gamma slider in ah2 if ya hadn't noticed :) Unfortunetly, it doesn't turn everyones else's FE down to night....
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 03:07:31 PM by Waffle »