Author Topic: I might be out in no-where land here - SLOW  (Read 623 times)

Offline YankZulu

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
I might be out in no-where land here - SLOW
« on: March 06, 2004, 08:22:25 PM »
I downloaded beta 13 quite a while ago.  I have a brand new Dell 2400 with the higher speed bus.  I only had 256MB on board.  Beta 13 was unusable.  At first, because I had other issues, I thought it was memory.  I bought a 512mb memory module, now everything I had a problem with (outside of the aces high II beta) works just fine now.  No complaints.  In fact, I run Aces High "classic" without any problems...never have had any problems with it.  Runs just great.

I downloaded Beta 16 this week.  It ran maybe 5% better than beta 13.  Am I missing something?  After the intro screen (clipboard) the thing runs like a snail as soon as I get into the tower.  I've tried adjusting the video settings in the program to best performance, cut down to 45FPS and it still runs like a snail.

What am I missing or am I out in no-where land?  Does this version require high end video cards?

Thanks

Ted, a.k.a. YankZulu

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2004, 04:07:00 AM »
Post your specs so we can determine the most likely cause.
Although at this point its almost certainly a below par video card in your machine.
Its worth noting a GF4 Ti4200 runs AH2 well and certainly cannot be called a high end video card anymore, and i believe the minimum requirement is for a GF2 level card.

Offline YankZulu

• Zinc Member
PC Specs
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2004, 05:38:14 PM »
Originally posted by 214thCavalier
Post your specs so we can determine the most likely cause.
Although at this point its almost certainly a below par video card in your machine.
Its worth noting a GF4 Ti4200 runs AH2 well and certainly cannot be called a high end video card anymore, and i believe the minimum requirement is for a GF2 level card.

Okie doke.  Here goes.

Dell 2400 Celeron 2.4ghz
768MB Ram
Intel (on board video) 82845G w/64MB Ram
Windows XP w/SP1

Current video settings 16bit, 800x600

My guess at this point is that it is the on board video.  Once I upgraded memory, the program itself prior to getting into the tower works just fine.  But, as soon as I get into the tower for offline mode, that's when it slows down really bad.  It took me 20 minutes to get in and adjust all the display settings to best performance, 16 bit, etc. etc.

Come to think of it, years ago when AWIII came out, this is what retired me from AW.  I had a new computer at the time, but the graphics forced me not to play anymore.  Since I just bought the computer, I hate to keep buying hardware for it.  Kind of hard on the pocket book if you know what I mean.

Graphics is the selling point on a lot (if not all) games.  It's too bad there can't be a lower end video setting for those of us who have factory spec (off the shelf) machines.

Ted
« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 05:40:22 PM by YankZulu »

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 10:30:00 PM »
More bad news for you too - if your Dell 2400 like rest I have seen, the motherboard has had the AGP port removed (Gateway does same thing to it's entry level boxes too).

So..for you a video card upgrade will have to be a PCI card.  There are a few out there but your selection will be limited.

Offline YankZulu

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 05:44:13 AM »
Originally posted by Zanth
More bad news for you too - if your Dell 2400 like rest I have seen, the motherboard has had the AGP port removed (Gateway does same thing to it's entry level boxes too).

So..for you a video card upgrade will have to be a PCI card.  There are a few out there but your selection will be limited.

That's what I was afraid of.  Drats.

Yank

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 10:03:08 PM »
see, thats the problem with dell they make a "fast" system based on these supper dooper really expensive P4's then include crappy Intel gfx to cut corners and cost of the systems else where :(
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37