Author Topic: Lufbery Circle: valid tactic in AH?  (Read 396 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Lufbery Circle: valid tactic in AH?
« on: March 18, 2004, 07:06:48 AM »
Seems to me I've read that the Lufbery Circle, invented in WWI,  was used even in WWII as a defensive tactic.

I don't believe I've ever seen one formed in AH though.   Why do you suppose that is?   Does it just not work in AH the way it did in real life?

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 07:19:33 AM »
Why use something that takes thinking?

The rest just HO:)
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 07:45:37 AM »
Oboe, try flying MP rooms in IL-2 FB/AEP with limited or no-icons, and you'd understand.

It's a valid tactic in AH, but just not effective enough to practice, or initiate on purpose, for all what it's worth.

The gunnery range is longer than RL, gunnery itself is easier in terms of accuracy than RL, and the result of successful gunnery immediately drops the target plane through structural failures, unlike RL.  

In short, fighting group of enemies in a Luftberry is just no different from engaging 3~4 enemies in your P-51D, who are way lower than you. If your gunnery is higher than average, with each high-speed pass, sending a burst of .50s from 400~600 yards out, it will down one plane. That's why the great pilots in AH can just do that all day and kill all the enemies single-handedly as long as he has the alt.

It doesn't work that way in FB/AEP - you need to get in close, you need to land concentrated blows. The view outward is more limited, and usually there's no "dar" to cover your rearend for you. It's possible to kill things with very few shots in FB/AEP, like landing HE shells on the engine block, or killing the pilot, but usually, enemy planes take a lot more punishment than in AH.

In that environment, the Luftberry actually works.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 02:19:47 PM »
Sure. I saw one once by the 13th. They were in FM2's circling to the left at about 500 ft. 1KON was in a Spit5 (as usual) chasing off those that blew their energy trying to get into the circle. It was quite a sight to see.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."