Author Topic: General frame rate question  (Read 601 times)

Offline sonar732

• Copper Member
General frame rate question
« on: March 19, 2004, 04:54:52 PM »
Hello all,

Where can I find the requirements for AH2?  I downloaded Beta 17 and the frame rates are lucky to get above 20, while AH consistantly gets above 40.  I have a ATI Radeon 7500 Wonder 32mb card.  Another question is that in AH2, I clicked on the clipboard to move it and it minimized to the point that I couldn't do anything with it.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: General frame rate question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 07:26:14 PM »
Originally posted by sonar732
Hello all,

Where can I find the requirements for AH2?

P3 900 Mhz with GeForce 2 minimum.

I downloaded Beta 17 and the frame rates are lucky to get above 20, while AH consistantly gets above 40.  I have a ATI Radeon 7500 Wonder 32mb card.

I'm getting 30-60 fps with max detail and had nearly the same with most of the detail turned down on my old P3 825 Mhz machine. My old P3 couldn't handle the combat load, lots of warp when in a fight.

Another question is that in AH2, I clicked on the clipboard to move it and it minimized to the point that I couldn't do anything with it.

Look for the little + sign at the top and expand it.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 07:29:11 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline sonar732

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 07:39:21 PM »
My stats are as such...

WXP
AMD 1.3ghz Duron 256mb ram
ATI 7500 32mb All-In-Wonder
Direct x 9.0

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 07:55:17 PM »
Looks like you're near the minimum.  If you haven't already, try turning off all the background processes you don't use, that will help if you can get it down to around 20 but you can't expect a miracle.

Google for Black Viper's list of background processes and you might pick up 4-5 fps following his advice.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 08:00:37 PM »
My daughters Duron 750 gets 30 fps with a GF2 mx400, you just need a better vidio card.

Offline sonar732

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 01:24:02 PM »
I was wrong, my video card is 64mb.  Sorry about that, I was posting at work and didn't know for sure.  Do I still need a better card even with 64mb?

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 06:12:52 PM »
My observations on AH2 FPS and related issues:

1.  FPS alone is inadequate to tell if your machine can handle AH2.  FPS really only affects air-to-air fighting.  It's possible to turn down graphics settings to get fairly high FPS even on "old" machines, but this is at the cost of making ground objects like buildings become invisible beyond 1 mile or so.  This makes buffing and jabo ops totally impossible because you don't have time to aim your bombs once you finally get close enough to see a target.

So while you MIGHT be able to tweak things so a "dinosaur" system can fight half-way acceptably air-to-air, that's ALL you'll be able to do.  To fully participate in all aspects of AH2, you need a system that can give you high FPS with all the details on, so you can spot buildings far enough away to have time to aim bombs at them.  And at present, this pretty much means the top-of-the-line system.

2.  That said, I need to elaborate on "old" and "dinosaur" systems, because in AH2 (so far--beta 18), these terms mean different hardware than in other games.  As things stand now, everything less than 2GHz is a "dinosaur", unable to cope at all with any aspect of AH2, even with the details turned down as far as they'll go.  2.2-2.6GHz machines are "old", as in barely adequate even with sacrifices like no jabo ops due to invisible buildings.

The following system (mine) is an example of a dinosaur.  Even with all graphics options turned all the way down, it is impossible for this machine to get an acceptable air-to-air FPS when there are more than 2 other planes near me:

P4/1.7GHz
512MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB

3.  I say the above fairly confidently.  I seem to be one of the few who have seen more than 2 or 3 other planes online in AH2 so far.  2 weeks ago, my squad did our squadnight there and had furballs of up to 10 planes at a time, with an average of 8.  You know, what you see in AH1 at a MINOR battle.  Nobody had acceptable FPS, even guys with 2+ GHz systems, although they said they could live with it (and of course no jabo ops for them).

4.  The FPS you see by yourself offline is quite misleading.  With all settings minimized, my system above can get 50-60 FPS offline.  It can do the same online when I'm by myself.  However, once just a couple of other planes get close, FPS plummets.  When I have 8-10 other planes in icon range, my FPS gets into the low 20s.  When I get within several hundred yards of 1 plane, I'm in the low teens, and when I shoot or get shot at, it becomes a slideshow from the muzzle flashes alone, even without tracers on.

5.  At present, GeForce cards have a big advantage over Radeon cards.  When AH2 first came out, I had a 3-yr old 64MB GeForce3 and 256MB system RAM.  Changing the vidcard to the brand new Radeon and doubling my system RAM resulted in a 20% reduction in my FPS.  And in general from reading posts here, it seems like AH2 just doesn't like Radeons.  Whether this will ever get addressed is unknown.  But if I was going to buy a new vidcard for AH2 today (actually, I did again last week, along with a whole new 3.4GHz system), I'd definitely go Nvidia instead of ATI.

Offline LJK_KämpferAs

• Copper Member
      • http://www.demonz.co.nz
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 03:55:01 AM »
ATi card optimisation has not been looked into in the AH2 Beta's from what I have read, you'll find many posts here about GeForce users raving about good FPS, and just as many ATi guy crying about there low FPS (me included in this later group ... :( ) your 7500 should run this ok at 1024*768 by the time AH2 is out of beta, if not sooner... But, you might want to look at a upgrade in the near future as your overall system is starting to date now...

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 10:27:10 AM »
The object of MMOGs is have as many people possilbe playing the game and having fun.  This includes decent FRs etc etc etc.

I'm sure HTC does not want to have half of the community having to pay a large amount of money to upgrade their systems just to play AHII.

My system is fine...AthlonXP2400 at 2 gig with 1024 MEM and radeon9800Pro vid card.

I don't think that will be the min requirements for the game.  You'd have over half of the community forced to spend money on MOBO and CPU upgrades, as well as memory.  That isn't cheap.

And....those that can't upgrade their systems I'm sure aren't going to run out and spend anywhere from 600 to 1200 dollars to purchase a new machine just to be able to play AHII.

HTC realizes this I'm sure.  This is still in Beta and coding flight sims is the most difficult and complicated of any software game.
More variables.  Duke Nukems' FM wasn't much of a challenge..neither was his FM with damage etc.

Be patient....wait till the final version comes out before making a decision on what you MIGHT need to make AHII more enjoyable.

PIII800 prolly won't make it....but that's just a guess....and a TNT vid card prolly won't either.  As I said....all is speculation.  Wait for the final version before panicking :D
- The Flying Circus -