Author Topic: 190D9/G10 MW50 and engine cooling  (Read 206 times)

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
190D9/G10 MW50 and engine cooling
« on: May 30, 2001, 05:44:00 AM »
AFAIK, MW50/75/25 were antidetonant/cooling mixtures. If so, its usage should not be necesary linked to the WEP activation. That is, you overheat the engine, cut WEP, but keep MW50 injection to speed up the engine cooling.
Was this possible in RL?

And a last question. In AH, 190D9 engine overheats much slower than P47D engine. I suppose this is mainly due the usage of MW. But, in the other hand, P47D engine returns to normal temperature much faster. Is there any explanation for that?

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2001, 09:53:00 AM »
Mandoble i know that MW50 could be used in an emergency as a small reserve of fuel.I think it aided with the cooling in so much that it slowed down the heating up.Ive never heard of it used as a 'booster cooler'  
The engine cool down after being run to overheat is 'probably' accurate although where anyone can get the info for this sort of thing god only knows  .
Early 190s had a enclosed nosespinner over the nose and overheated badly but they changed it to how you see it now with intake possible around the prop spinner and this improved it.But there are many references to it still having trouble with engineheat.What is a little 'concerning' is even if you switch offthe engine it still takes an eternity to cool in the 190.
accurate? i dont know.

------------------
Hazed
9./JG54

funked

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2001, 12:12:00 PM »
MW 50 was not fuel.

It was an antidetonant.

It allowed raised boost pressures without engine damage.

Cooling effects were secondary, and power increase using MW 50 without boost increase were negligible.

You're asking HTC to model something that would not make a big difference, and for which no data exists anywhere.

AFAIK the "overheating" in AH is just a WEP timer.  In the manuals for each of these planes you will find time limits for WEP power.  These are either recommended limits, after which the pilot should reduce power to improve long-term reliability of the engine, (e.g. Spitfire) or they are hard limits, beyond which the anti-detonant runs out, or the engine control system automatically reduces boost, or both (e.g. P-47D).

In order to force us to respect the WEP time ratings, HTC made it so WEP shuts off automatically at the prescribed time.  And it sure looks to me like the temp. gauge is just a clock for this time.  

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 05-30-2001).]