Author Topic: gun convergence  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Keiler

• Copper Member
gun convergence
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2004, 01:59:39 PM »
I have read the same thing on elevation.
Btw it wouldn't work if there was NO elevation. Convergence would be futile. Imagine the slow 30mm (Mk103) at 650 yards, the shells travel 5-6 yards below the target if they came out parallel to the sightline. For .50 that would be roughly 3 yards.
So you would hit centermass at vertical axis, but fire entirely underneath the enemy plane most of the time, even with 50cal.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
gun convergence
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2004, 03:01:14 PM »
while for most the drop is un noticeable because of recoil and plane shaking from firing the guns with the trigger, if you test using a 1 key stroke effect and shoot a grouping of 3 ( 3 key strokes slow with a pause between each) you will see the effect of the drop. and be better able to see where they hit on the target.

This is how I performed the above test, I did not use my joystick trigger, I used the keyboard.
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: gun convergence
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2004, 03:51:34 PM »
Originally posted by 101ABN
I normally fly a P38, what is the best distance to set the gun convergence. Last night i was right on someones butt and i opened up with the guns and only smoked him. he was in my sights for quite awhile too.

In the P-38 there is no need to adjust your convergence setting as the Lightning has nose mounted guns.  Just keep them at 650 yards.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song