Author Topic: Whats the range on F4U´s guns  (Read 202 times)

Offline Rompa

• Nickel Member
Whats the range on F4U´s guns
« on: January 12, 2002, 06:28:31 PM »
I was engaged with a f4u in a fight yesturday in my 190-A5 and after a wile the f4u got on my 6 at dist. d600 out,

so i do a short dive for speed and then just jink it a little from side to side with the 190 emacing roll rate, the con is spraying but not hitting a single ping, as i am extending from him i see dist d700, d800 and at d900 the f4u stops spraying but i keep jinking it until i se d1.2k then i feel safe and hit auto pilot

And then 4sec later i hear ping,ping,ping,crack,boom..........
"u have been killed" and there was nobody else there but the f4u spraying it at d1.2k.  wtf is happening i tought and just logged off in discuise.

Im a missing sumpthing here or do the f4u have these uber guns then i sure as hell are gonna start flying them
( i want this to pleeease, +d1.1k kills would be so cool)

So anybody know the effective range of guns on the f4u

Rompa 332 Viking Squad

Offline Sling

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2002, 07:18:21 PM »
You have to remember that due to lag, the distance you see him from you isnt necessarily the distance that he sees from you to him.  He could be have been as close as 800yds....which is well within range of 50 cals on the D-hog.

Offline Broes

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2002, 07:30:48 PM »
The F4U-C has been known to ping from as far as 1k and still give you a large chance of doing damage... Guess why they were perked :)

Broes

Offline Rompa

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2002, 07:42:28 PM »
Im sorry but i dont get this u mean that he was lagging and on his system he was still in range eg d800 or so, but on my system i saw d1.2k and therefore he got the kill !!!!!

(u mean that my system keept the uppdates faster than he)

So in other words u mean that guys with bad conn or laggy systems are awarded this advantege ???
sounds strange to me but what do i know :rolleyes:

Dont take this wrong i dont mind getting shot down, that i am used to :D

Rompa  332 Viking Squad

Offline Sling

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2002, 07:50:46 PM »
Not exactly Rompa....it just means that no two front ends are ever going to see the same distance.  Check this out with a squaddie.  Fly in formation and see what your front end says is the distance between you and compare that to what your squaddie says is the distance between you.

Offline Broes

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2002, 05:42:22 AM »
Also note that distance is measured from your VIEW point... even if you are in external view. Now this won't matter much in a fighter but in a buff it can make d100-d200 difference.

Broes

Offline Rompa

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2002, 06:43:52 AM »
ok so there can be slight diffrenses on eatch others system.

But what is the effective range of the .50 cal gunns is it 900-1000yds and is it the same gunns on the Hellcat and D-Hog.

I fly Hellcat sometimes and i dont open fire if distance is more then 550yds
if they are the same maybe i could extend that to 800-900yds

(i mostly fly YAK and therefore are used to not shot until d200 )

And i guess i need to extend the distance to maybe d1.5k before i can feel safe.

Rompa

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2002, 10:16:30 AM »
All the .50s are the same and I have no difficulty hitting a non-maneuvering target at 1000 yards with a hellcat.  To the best of my knowledge I have never done any significant damage at this range but I have made some aircraft turn so that I could get closer and kill them.

Here is how the netlag thing works:  Suppose you are being chased by somebody who is 1000 yards  behind you.  When your 2 machines send position updates to the server it takes something like .5 sec to 1 sec for the update to get to the server, be processed, and then sent to the other guy's machine.  So when you 2 receive position updates from the server you are actually receiving position information that is a second old (for example).  This means that you see the enemy aircraft where it was 1 second ago (about 150 yards behind its current position).  If the 2 planes are "really" 1000 yards apart, the lead guy sees the chaser as being 1150 yards away (150 yards behind where the chaser is) and the chaser sees the lead guy 850 yards away.

The short answer is wait till 1500 yards to go on auto.

Hooligan
« Last Edit: January 13, 2002, 10:18:41 AM by Hooligan »