Author Topic: Pre-war data on Iraq not solid: Powell  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Pre-war data on Iraq not solid: Powell
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2004, 08:01:30 AM »
Originally posted by Gixer
....Plus bombing of Boania had UN and world support, unlike the...  

IRC that was a NATO operation, not UN...  no UNSC resolutions sanctioned the Balkans operations.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2004, 08:04:41 AM »
This is not the issue Holden. I know most if not all world leaders thought saddam may have had the stuff. Even I belived it was likley that he had them. If the US and UK had invaded Iraq on other reasons that we all know of i would have been fine with it and so would prolly France and the rest of the UN.... we would never have had this discussion on the BBS and would prolly have spent our time debating AH2.

The issu is that Bush and or the CIA falsified reports of transactions and used those false reports to paint a picture that was obviously false.

There is no proof of WMD's or any connection with Al Quaida period.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2004, 08:08:23 AM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
Nilsen.

lie, noun
Etymology: Middle English lige, lie, from Old English lyge; akin to Old High German lugI, Old English lEogan to lie
1 a : an assertion of something known or believed by the speaker to be untrue with intent to deceive.

A statement is a lie when you know it to be false.

A false statement, if it is believed to be the truth, is simply wrong, it not necessarily a lie.

I believe that the common belief (proir to GW2) by the vast majority of those who were intrested in Iraq policy was that Hussein did have WMD's. (a belief backed up by 1441) I have yet to see a quote by any nation's leader which claims Iraq did not have weapons.

I have seen transcripts of statements by leaders and diplomats which say a different policy to ascertain and or remove suspected weapons should be followed, but not one where anyone said the perceived problem was already solved.

Please show me where the PM of New Zealand or Norway objected to the idea that Iraq was armed and dangerous, not just voiced an objection to disarmament by force.

"A statement is a lie when you know it to be false. "  

Now that's really starting to get desperate as far as defending the Bush Administration.

As for this "Please show me where the PM of New Zealand or Norway objected to the idea that Iraq was armed and dangerous,"

WAKE UP! Collin Powel and Rice had said themselves before 9/11 that Iraq had no WMD"s and was not a threat. Let alone the PM from Norwary or NZ.

"He has not developed any significant capability with respect to weapons of mass destruction. He is unable to project conventional power against his neighbors"

-Colin Powell

...-Gixer

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2004, 08:15:48 AM »
Simple question, Gix, `ol boy.

What do you want? :D

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2004, 08:20:24 AM »
lol Arlo, nice wav :D

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2004, 08:23:28 AM »
Thanks, Nils. Ain't seen the movie in years. Kinda afraid to rent or buy it for fear that it ain't nearly as good as I remember. :D

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2004, 08:34:29 AM »
Its not just a matter of whether or not Saddam had done enough to get taken down.  No doubt he had.  

What is the crux of the matter for many people is whether Saddam was enough of a threat to become the A#1 priority in the war on terror at the expense of having a weakened effort against the demonstrated threat that was/is OBL and Al Qaeda in Afganistan/Pakistan.

We were told we could kill 2 birds with one stone, and even if we couldn't, this bird in Iraq was the biggest threat and deserved the biggest stone.  Both assurances by this administration turned out to be false, and it has to make any non-partisan wonder as to whether or not we have been grossly misled in our war on terrorism.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2004, 08:47:52 AM »
if i read you right Lance, its good to see that people within the US are starting to question things aswell and not just us eurotrash and other foreign lunatics. :D

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2004, 08:48:38 AM »
What movies is that Arlo? sounds familiar or atleast the voice does

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2004, 08:51:20 AM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
IRC that was a NATO operation, not UN...  no UNSC resolutions sanctioned the Balkans operations.

LMAO you have to be kidding me? UN was involved in Balkans since the time it first blew up. Of course it had a UN Resolution authorising action in the Balkans using NATO force. Only country against was Russia for obvious reasons.

Since you seem to have a memory lapse and you may not believe me here's the actual basic detail of the resolution.

July/September Conflict intensifies. U.N. Security Council approves resolution #1199 demanding the cessation of hostilities and warning that if this does not occur, additional measures will be considered NATO takes first steps towards military intervention in Kosovo, approving plans for air strikes and for monitoring and maintaining a possible ceasefire agreement

Once NATO action was completed the UN went in to rebuild the country and still there today.

...-Gixer

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2004, 08:57:48 AM »
People in the U.S. have always questioned things, Nils. AAMOF ... it's more a less a trend we set. The problem some have is with the answers. I mean ... after all .... what's the fun in protesting something if someone else ruins it all by bringing up some points that make alot of what's being chanted or painted on signs sound silly?

Just look upthread. Holden posts an excerpt from the UN resolution that makes the whole "It was supposed to be all about WMDs and that evil Bush lied about it all from the start just to have an excuse to go to war, etc etc" rhetoric look kinda silly. First post after that was you calling it lies. That evil UN lied to us. :D

So same question to you as to Gix. What do you want? :)

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2004, 09:00:05 AM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Simple question, Gix, `ol boy.

What do you want? :D

For people to realise how wrong and immoral the actions of the Bush Aministration were to try and justify an unjust war against Iraq.  

...-Gixer

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2004, 09:00:39 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen10
What movies is that Arlo? sounds familiar or atleast the voice does

From the movie "Dr. Strangelove." It's a cold war themed movie about an evil U.S. regime that allowed evil scientists to convince the president to start WWIII. :D

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2004, 09:02:02 AM »
no no.. what i called lies was the wmd reports and al quaida connection...

:)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2004, 09:03:11 AM »
Originally posted by Gixer
For people to realise how wrong and immoral the actions of the Bush Aministration were to try and justify an unjust war against Iraq.  

And if that doesn't happen, what're you gonna do? :D