Author Topic: Silent Hunter II Pacific Aces  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Silent Hunter II Pacific Aces
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2004, 08:09:07 PM »
Bump with some content (can't stand no-content bumps) :D

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2004, 08:54:56 PM »
I've already got more hours in on this add-on than I did in the regular game and I bought it in the first month of release.

as far as hours of fun go, this is the best $5 I ever spent.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2004, 08:45:56 AM »
Holy crap I gotta d/l that thing.  I know I've been saying that for awhile but I do enjoy "SH: Commander's Edition" and got my feet wet with "SH2".  Those screenies look awesome!  Is it possible for me to d/l and burn to a cd so I'll have a back up copy in case I get a new machine at the end of the year?

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2004, 09:02:33 AM »
Well, that certainly looks like a worthwhile investment. I was a huge fan of SH1, but was disappointed with SH2.

Are the other extra patches that come on the CD designed for the Pacific Aces conversion, the original SH2 game, or both?

And if they are for the Pacific Aces conversion, are they available for free download somewhere else, or is the CD the only place to get these?

Not trying to be a cheapskate, but I'd rather give a $20 donation and be able to D/L everything instead of having to wait for the CD to arrive in the mail.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2004, 09:30:51 AM »
most of the patches on the cd are d/l able from the websight, in the free download area.  most are usable with PA and the original version.

afaik the main thing the cd has that is not d/l able is a lot of artwork for walpapers and such.  all of the game play files are available in the $5 download, or for free else where on the site.

after you install just go to the PA forum, at the top of the posts are 'sticky posts' that have any patches available, and why you'd need each one.  (for example ther is a very important 'torpedo room' patch that fixes a crash on certain boats.  this came out about 3-4 days after the PA patch so I'm not sure if it's on the CD's (unless they are making them as ordered instead of doing a bunch ahead.

with the $5 download you recieve, the PA patch, the hi-rez patch, and the needed files from destroyer command to make the new patch work.

there is suposed to be soon (if it isn't ot already) a free version of the PA patch out, but it doesn't have sound, hi-rez, or the destroyer comand files.  so you'd have to have detroyer comand to make it work and you'd still have low-rez, and no sound.

as far as a back-up goes.  there is no reason you can't save the files on a cd once you d/l them,  I did.

since I get a fairly good d/l speed and the artwork wasn't a big issue with me, I went for the $5 deal.  I just pay-pal'd them the $5 and they sent me the download info a couple hours later.  very simple, no problems at all.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 09:36:54 AM by capt. apathy »

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2004, 10:05:33 AM »
Thanks C.A., think I'll make that donation tonight. That looks like an outstanding mod.

Now, all I need to do is get that super mod for Red Baron II. Anyone recall what the name of that one is, and where to get it?

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2004, 11:16:32 AM »
I believe you're talking about "the promised land",  that's the main site that used to have all of the graphics mods, and additional planes.  they also used to compile several othe rpeoples contributions into 'super patches'.

not sure where to get it now.  I haven't played it for 3 years or so.  

that was a great game.  may only real complaint was the ammo/fuel load not being reflected in the FM.  I'd probably still be playing it now and then if it worked worth a damn on my radeon vid-card.  there was suposed to be some sort of patch that allowed the 3dfx graphics to run on a radeon, but I was never able to get t to work reliably.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2004, 05:05:20 PM »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2004, 12:51:21 AM »
It's here (bout 4 days and over the Easter weekend - not bad). It's good (better than I expected even). It installed without a glitch - one step - running perfectly (backed up the existing files. Haven't checked to see if the original SHII is running normally but I'm really not interested in it at the moment. If need be - I know my files are backed up and I can revert to it).

And it's a challenge! I'm running on "easy mode" - so to speak. 50% vulnerability ... no duds (though, oddly enough, I had one - lol), perfect info, easy mode sailing ... but I am taking realistic loads, fuel and damage (except for the vulnerability setting).

And ... ummmm ... I died. Heh. Gotta remember the keyboard shortcuts and re-perfect my tactics (modified for the American Pac subs).

I may be busy with this for awhile so if you don't see me as often .... :D

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2004, 10:45:29 AM »
you deffinately want to load the redwine depthcharge mod.  with it you can set yourself up with 100% vulnerability and still have a shot at living.

right now I'm running 90% realism (100% vulnerable, no duds, external view on)

the redwine pack does away with the lazer guided super charges that kill from over 50 meters away, and puts them to a more historicly acurate damage setting.

the patches that add new torpedo strike graphics, improved fires, and flaming oil-clicks are well worth the time also.

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2004, 11:51:17 AM »
Originally posted by banana

Now, all I need to do is get that super mod for Red Baron II. Anyone recall what the name of that one is, and where to get it?

you can get it here http://www.plgrafix.com/

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2004, 07:59:55 PM »
Originally posted by capt. apathy
you deffinately want to load the redwine depthcharge mod.  with it you can set yourself up with 100% vulnerability and still have a shot at living.

right now I'm running 90% realism (100% vulnerable, no duds, external view on)

the redwine pack does away with the lazer guided super charges that kill from over 50 meters away, and puts them to a more historicly acurate damage setting.

the patches that add new torpedo strike graphics, improved fires, and flaming oil-clicks are well worth the time also.

Downloaded it. Thanks. Let's see if I can survive a lil better now. Downloaded all the pyro files too. I concur. :D

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2004, 03:10:01 PM »
Glad you guys are enjoying this excellent mod as much as I am. SUBSIM message boards looks as if the PA development guys are working on a patch.

Some of the things they are looking at is increasing visibilty in fog slightly and increasing number patrols possible in one campaign.

All in all an awsome add on, looking forward to SH3 but this is going to do nicely till then. Though given past experiences SH3 won't be any better either until the modders can get to it.

...-Gixer

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2004, 02:23:33 PM »
Many thanks to all for the links and for pointing out this fantastic mod. I've been having a lot of fun in SHII PA in the past couple of days.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Silent Hunter 4:Wolves of the Pacific
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 02:21:54 PM »
See Rule #10
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 06:36:04 AM by Skuzzy »