Author Topic: Looking to get a bike  (Read 655 times)

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
Looking to get a bike
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2004, 11:47:08 AM »
Moose,
Find yourself a used Yamaha VStar 650, great bike long wheelbase, rides like a bigger bike and they are resonable in price.  I bought a new one last year for $7000.  Do yourself a favor and at least see what they look like before you buy anything else.

Mims
MOL

Go to Ebay and do a search for VStar it should have a few that you can get an idea what they look like.  Then go here and find some people in your area with VStars.
 http://www.star-riders.org/

Not my bike but I have the same one.
http://www.surfmaine.com/vstar650/index.html
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 11:55:40 AM by Hungry »
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Looking to get a bike
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2004, 01:08:43 PM »
I'm not sure what experience you have with bikes, but if it's your first or your first in a while DON"T get a 600 cc sports bike. It will most likely get you killed very quickly!

Start off with a basic bike under 250 then move to maybe 400's and onwards from there. Starting off on 600's is as dangerous as going from a 250 to a 1000cc superbike.

600's sportsbikes now are incredibly fast, I've scared myself silly on one a few times and thats with 15 years + racing/track experience.

If you are set on a 600 sportsbike get something less track orientated. Like a CBR 600 or what ever the honda model is.  Something like a R6 is more track orientated then the likes of a CBR which is more road suited.

Mate of mine has a Gixer 600 and I'm drifting out of corners to keep up with when the pace heats up. Of course in sweeping corners and straights he's dust. :D

Enjoy your new bike, but take it easy. Go to an advanced riding course is a must. In addition go to one of the superbike track schools. There's a few in the US and they are excellent.

...-Gixer

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Looking to get a bike
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2004, 01:13:09 PM »
Oh, forgot to add. If you get a 600 sportsbike or any bike for that matter and especially one with alot of fairing. I can gurantee what ever is it you are going to drop it or have a low speed step off. Most likely in the driveway on a wet day. Which equals very expensive to repair.

Hence another reason to get a cheap 250 to start of with. When you crash it will hardly cost anything at all to bend back into shape.

By the way I'm bot over exagerating, if your new to bikes get something cheap, has no platic on it and is 250cc or less. You'll learn quicker but most of all more likely to stay alive till you do have the experience for something bigger.

...-Gixer

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Looking to get a bike
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2004, 02:20:03 PM »
For a bit more you could learn to fly instead. Lot safer.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Looking to get a bike
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2004, 02:43:23 PM »
For "Proper scooter locking technics" look up Curval  :p
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Looking to get a bike
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2004, 03:42:46 PM »
Stay away from Honda V4's(Interceptors/Magna's)...Their cams have a very short life and cost big to repair.

Might want to consider a duel purpose bike as well...Very manouverable in traffic when someone doesn't see you..also can learn offroad with them too...You might luck out with a low km xt350 or the more street oriented klr650.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 03:46:19 PM by SirLoin »
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
Looking to get a bike
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2004, 04:07:03 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron

Heh, going for my checkride in a week ;)

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. I was incredibly happy with her 250, but she kept telling me that I was much to big for it. As much as this might sound like a load of BS, i'm not too concerned about how fast it can go right off. I would be completely happy with just that, but she won't sell it to me.

I really wish I could find something for this summer. I'd love to be able to ride with her.
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Looking to get a bike
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2004, 04:54:16 PM »
Originally posted by moose
I'd love to be able to ride with her.

I'll bet.  :rolleyes: :D

You're not talking 600s anyway but.......I totally disagree with anyone above who's recommended you get a 600cc bike.  Too big for a learner.  

I first rode an 80cc Kawasaki for 4 months until I'd passed my test.  Then on to a 250cc Suzuki (although that was a mistake cos that bike was a *****.  RGV250.  2 stroke.  Real small power band but by Christ didn't it kick in hard).  

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Looking to get a bike
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2004, 10:04:36 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron

I have a CPL-H and still find riding though more racing bikes more fun then flying. My latest experience is dirt speedway (flattrack) singles and sidecars racing. Completing in winning a race in that catagory is an amazing rush.

...-Gixer