Author Topic: Band Of Brothers  (Read 1288 times)

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
Band Of Brothers
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2004, 02:08:56 PM »
That's strange...he called Malarky "Pvt. Bullchit" and they aired it....

You'd think Gonnorhea would have made it through.

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
Band Of Brothers
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2004, 02:09:14 PM »
They have a show on "The making of BOB" very interesting as well.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Band Of Brothers
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2004, 02:22:56 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
The only thing I can say for his character is that he did participate in PT with his troops instead of depending on his NCO's and LT's to do it for him.

Actually in the book Sobel was described as being in the worst shape out of the entire company.  He almost failed the push-up section of his qualifying fitness test much to the chagrin of the company...most of whom quietly witnessed the test in the background.

The best part of the History channel's showing of this series is the "Real Band of Brothers" episode they are doing between episodes.  They interview all of the survivors and discuss all of the actual events.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Band Of Brothers
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2004, 02:25:41 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
The best part of the History channel's showing of this series is the "Real Band of Brothers" episode they are doing between episodes.  They interview all of the survivors and discuss all of the actual events.

Is it the same interviews that apper on the DVDs, or did the History Channel do additional interviews?

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Band Of Brothers
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2004, 02:27:35 PM »
Originally posted by rpm371
I don't have the DVD Box Set (yet), but they did edit some things. I didn't hear Sobel call Garnere "Gonoreah" or some of the other off color remarks.

I heard it.  One of the fellow soldiers says something like "Hey! Gonorreah!" and he turns around.  But I don't think it was Sobel that said it.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Band Of Brothers
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2004, 02:56:18 PM »
Originally posted by Mickey1992
Is it the same interviews that apper on the DVDs, or did the History Channel do additional interviews?

Same ones unfortunately.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Band Of Brothers
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2004, 04:32:13 PM »
Richard Winters: [real life interview with Winters where he quotes Mike Ranney on how he answered a question his grandson once asked him] I treasure my remark to a grandson who asked, "Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?" "No", I answered, "But I served in a company of heroes".

Richard Winters: That night, I thanked God for seeing me through that day of days and prayed I would make it through D plus 1. I also promised that if some way I could get home again, I would find a nice peaceful town and spend the rest of my life in peace.

George Luz: [Imitating Maj. Horton] Is there a problem, Captain Sobel?
Herbert Sobel: Who said that? Who broke silence?
Edward Tipper: I think it's Major Horton, sir.
Herbert Sobel: Major Horton? Wh, what is he... Did he join us?
Edward Tipper: I think, maybe, he's moving between platoons, sir?
George Luz: What is the god-damn holdup, Mr. Sobel?
Herbert Sobel: A fence. Sir, uh, god... Bob wire fence.
George Luz: Oh, that dog just ain't no hunt. You cut that fence and get this whoopee platoon on the move.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline MaddDog

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Band Of Brothers
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2004, 04:36:11 PM »
I couldnt spend 85$ on the boxd DVD set, so i just rented 1-3 for now.

Also watched it when it was on HBO, and im not sure but it definetly seems abit shorter.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Band Of Brothers
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2004, 05:04:28 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
Actually in the book Sobel was described as being in the worst shape out of the entire company.  He almost failed the push-up section of his qualifying fitness test much to the chagrin of the company...most of whom quietly witnessed the test in the background.

I didn't read the book. Was only talking about the movie.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Band Of Brothers
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2004, 08:18:54 PM »
WOW.  Yeap, those guys were something special.  Watching that jump into Normandy made me grip the arms of my chair and curl my toes.  Think I may have to change my undies too.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
Band Of Brothers
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2004, 09:50:41 PM »
Makes you realize how silly our goon drops in AH are, does'nt it?

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
Band Of Brothers
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2004, 10:35:37 PM »
you've yet to drop troops in a field where westy has parked his ostwind then muckmaw

(but seriously, after seeing the jump scene..yeah.. holy cow :eek: )

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Band Of Brothers
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2004, 12:06:29 AM »
I have BoB on DVD. I saw no editing of language in the History Channel showings on Sunday and Monday.

Easily the best WWII ground war film ever made.

If you can spare the $80, by the DVDs. It's something to show your kids where they can learn what that generation did for the country and for that matter, the world.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Band Of Brothers
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2004, 12:07:30 AM »
Originally posted by gofaster
I heard it.  One of the fellow soldiers says something like "Hey! Gonorreah!" and he turns around.  But I don't think it was Sobel that said it.

Yeah, I heard it in tonight's episode. Maybe it was just a random edit for time in the 1st episode....or maybe I don't know what the **** I'm talking about.:)
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline XtrmeJ

• Gold Member
Band Of Brothers
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2004, 04:51:38 AM »
I was just informed that the whole box set is about 12 hours in length? History channel is gonna be showing this series for some time hehe. Think I'm going to plan out a date and watch the DVD all at one time. Watching a series day after day just isnt as exciting/suspensful as watching it episode after episode. Now to find 12 spare hours to squeeze in this series:p