Author Topic: Base layout/options changes proposal  (Read 776 times)

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Base layout/options changes proposal
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2004, 06:15:01 AM »
Originally posted by Greebo
I like the idea of limiting buffs to larger fields. Also how about a fourth type of field, a forward airstrip? This would have no aircraft hangars, just a short grass/dirt strip, some AAs, a reload pad and maybe a VH.

Also as has been said before, make the AAs much harder to strafe.

Good idea Greebo.  In Britain during WW2 they'd have Relief Landing Grounds and alternate dispersed airfields to the main field so that they could land if their airfield was bombed.  This also allowed aircraft to refuel and take off if necessary.  A compromise could be that the forward airfields have one grass strip like how you describe.  Of course they'd have to be the ability to disable flight or limit the aircraft available there (perhaps something like only 4 or 5 types of aircraft, all low perk aircraft, e.g. P40B, Spit I/Hurri IID, 109E, A6M2, 202 etc).  Alternatively, and I don't know how you could implement this, limit each pilot to choose only one aircraft from that field during XX time period.
NEXX

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2004, 01:57:44 PM »
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. My idea was for NO aircraft to be available at the field. Planes would have to take off from a nearby field but could use it as a refuelling/rearming point.

One or two guys could defend it and use the pad to top up during lulls. Alternatively a low level sneak mission might take it relatively easily and use the pad to press on into enemy territory.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2004, 02:03:50 PM by Greebo »

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2004, 02:32:19 PM »
LOL you guys:rolleyes:

My point was, most of us cant dedicate our lives to playing a game.  If you think in terms of real war you are limiting the game for guys that can only log on for a few hours here and there and just want to fight.

There needs to be a balance between the two.

Offline moto61

• Copper Member
      • http://www.eastex.net/moto
forward airstrip
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2004, 03:49:22 PM »
I like th e forward air strip idea.  But don't scatter them so much they are just alert beacons.  Use them in conjunction with zone bases. They are available to the country that controls that zone.
No flashing, no planes, no gvs.  Just make it a place to land wounded planes with a rearm pad. Don't make it something that can be captured and try to kep all of them outside any radar rings.

I think that is an excellent idea myself.:aok

Moto61

Offline whels

• Silver Member
Re: forward airstrip
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2004, 04:02:30 PM »
Originally posted by moto61
I like th e forward air strip idea.  But don't scatter them so much they are just alert beacons.  Use them in conjunction with zone bases. They are available to the country that controls that zone.
No flashing, no planes, no gvs.  Just make it a place to land wounded planes with a rearm pad. Don't make it something that can be captured and try to kep all of them outside any radar rings.

I think that is an excellent idea myself.:aok

Moto61

how about a C47 cargo called forward armpad.
C47 drops or lands and lets it out and it makes
a 30 mins duration forward rearm pad or  even 15 mins.

Offline moto61

• Copper Member
C47 rearm pad
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2004, 10:48:00 PM »
The more you think on this whels the more interesting the idea develops. I like the C47 idea maybe drop field suppilies for ammo rearm and Field cargo would supply fuel fuel.  I think 15 minutes is too short though. Why not an hour?

Use the cargo like the GVs do. 1 box per plane and it will only reload the ammo.

To recieve fuel it would take field cargo. Each box of cargo would bring the level up 25% and maybe even put a 50% cap on these rearm pads for fuel. :aok

moto61 :rolleyes: :lol

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2004, 11:51:09 PM »
I think 15 minutes is too short though. Why not an hour?

This is why NOT!

the vets of WWII had thier whole lives to fight the war. We ar playing a game when we can spare the time from our whole lives. Thus making things realistic and playable are two different things.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline moto61

• Copper Member
realism or playability
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2004, 12:56:35 AM »
Ok thats one point of view.

I don;t really get the equation of WWII vets in the mix but it probably make sense to you. After all it only a game right Jeffer.

Moto61:D

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2004, 09:55:39 AM »
I don;t really get the equation of WWII vets in the mix but it probably make sense to you

Ask HiTech how he feel about playability and realism...

Im sure he's feelings won't be much further off. Tho I will remain firm on this point regardless.

Whats so difficult to understand about what Mars said?

There is a HUGE difference between real life and playing a game. This is meant to be something that is enjoyed. How enjoyable would it become to play if we had to wait hours on end for fuel?

THE SIMPLE fact remains (which is the point Mars01 was trying to make)  people (most anyways) do not have hours upon hours to play. Sometimes there's only enough time for one or maybe two sorties.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline moto61

• Copper Member
Ok I see your point
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2004, 10:54:21 PM »
Ok I see the point you are making now. Maybe I couldn't see the forest for the trees or I was just on a different wave length. Anyway that is a valid point and as such surely should be considered but, there is also an element even if not as large as those who play strictly for kills still view the game as a game of strategy and one that is played to be won but, this is getting off on another tangent.

It is not really worth a lengthy discussion about how we each view the game. I guess the point is I do like Whels idea and not because it is supposed to bring realism. I like it because it is another element that might help in base captures or landing a wounded pilot or plane.  I'm guessng it would probably be fairly simple to do just put a VH field out minus the hangar. We can already land at VHs. Just replace the hangars with the rearm pad. And make them visible only to friendly countries like CVs are.

Moto61

:)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2004, 07:51:01 AM »
Seems to me that historically air fields were

short grass/earth (could be a GV field with an ac spawn point )

medium length "metalled"

or long for big heavy bombers.

Some ac were not suited to short or grass/earth fields

These could be modelled regardless of how many runways are in use at any field............

re forward fields  are they not really just vehicle supplies dropped on flat grass land where landed AC can pick them up
Ludere Vincere

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2004, 09:17:55 AM »
so let me get this right

you want to restrict buff pliots

and turn this game more into a fighter pliots game or a furballers game

the idea sounds good at first but all your doing is making it harder for the few buff pliots that fly and making the MAIN more of a furballer place

very simple throw this idea under the bed till we see alot more bombers  

and if you want historical then better put the night back in before this idea
known as Arctic in the main

Offline whels

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2004, 10:34:06 AM »
Originally posted by simshell
so let me get this right

you want to restrict buff pliots

and turn this game more into a fighter pliots game or a furballers game

the idea sounds good at first but all your doing is making it harder for the few buff pliots that fly and making the MAIN more of a furballer place

very simple throw this idea under the bed till we see alot more bombers  

and if you want historical then better put the night back in before this idea

oMG you would have to fly 5 or 10 miles more.   THE EARTH IS COMING TO AN END !

if u cant afford 10 mins flight time , then u shouldnt be logged in
to start with.

lol Buffers are funny, most suicide bomb @ 50 feet cause the wont bother to learn how to calibrate, so they game it.
inconvience? lol how about us fighters haveing to up 3 sectors
from front lines cause u buff gamers suicide fuel at nearby bases.