Author Topic: Anniversary of Columbine High School shooting  (Read 1761 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Anniversary of Columbine High School shooting
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2004, 06:17:32 PM »
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/5/20/110016.shtml

Ok, quick search..  lott claims that fully 1/3 of all school shootings were stopped by armed citizens ... I don't think I would call him a liar considering that  a lot of people have tried and failed in the past.

mt...  I will give the source for the only paper that reported what ALL the people involved in the law school shooting told the reporters...

since you couldn't find even one article (and many of them from 'respected newspapers' ) that reported the incident honestly.... would that not prove the bias to you?  I mean... how do they leave out the fact that the shooter had allready been disarmed by a fellow student BEFORE he was tackled?   seems that it is more than an oversight if that is the case wouldn't you say?

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2004, 07:12:42 PM »
ok..the two papers that reported the story correctly were two local ones  the richmond times dispatch and the charlotte observer.

one of the men who stopped the attack and actualy forced the gunman to drop his weapon was Tracy Bridges.  

Tracy appeared with Lott on Larry Elders radio program on KABC and said that he had told this version (telling the gunman to drop his gun while pointing his revolver at him and the others tackling the gunman after he was forced to drop his gun) to at least 20 or more "reporters".

He was "shocked" at what the washington post reported and they called (lott and bridges) the post and talked toMaria Glod of the post who confirmed that all the witnesses had verifyed both bridges and Gross's (the other armed student) account.

she claimed that she had not intentionaly left out the gun or its part in stopping the spree.  she claimed the focus of the story was on the "impact" rather than the attack itself and that there were "space limitations"

I have no idea what the excuse was for all the other reports you found MT  but ya gotta admit that if Lott, Bridges, Gross, and the other students and the two local newspapers aren't blatant bizzare liars....

then... the media manipulated you..  

you did my homework for me with the below statement and proved it.  thanks...  

"I just looked up the Appalachian School of Law shooting and read accounts by 6 different reporters from 3 different Countries. NO ONE mentions the guy being disarmed by an armed student. ALL stories agreed that he was tackled and disarmed by a group of students. "

lazs

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2004, 09:30:01 PM »
Amazing story lazs.

I need to look into this further. Thanks.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2004, 08:08:20 AM »
good luck.. there seems to be allmost no reporting on how school shootings, or any shooting is stopped unless swat or a policeman does it.   Lott claims that allmost 1/3 of all the school shootings were stopped by a citizen with a gun well before the cops got there..

I know that all the anti gun nut groups are trying tgo tear his books and data apart page by page so if this was wrong we would shurely have heard it by now.   He says it often when talking about school shotings.

If the guys who were their said it then I would say it was true.  Tried to research the richmond paper but it won't do a search for back issues.  If the woman at the post was missquoted she would be screaming bloody murder.   She apparently veryifys the story.

There is an element of unnewsworthhiness to a crime that is stopped but... In the law school case and the mississippi case the story would have been more interesting if they had left the real ending in.   So why do i?  unless there is an agenda.

I would really suggest you read Lott's book if this whole thing disturbs you at all.  

"The Bias Against Guns" (Why Allmost Everything You've Heard About Gun Control Is Wrong)

lazs

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2004, 09:04:40 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
good luck.. there seems to be allmost no reporting on how school shootings, or any shooting is stopped unless swat or a policeman does it.   Lott claims that allmost 1/3 of all the school shootings were stopped by a citizen with a gun well before the cops got there..

I did a search on the Richmond paper and got no hits about the Appalachian School of Law shooting.  I'm not saying they didn't report it, but there's no way to confirm what they reported when it happened.  The only info I kept finding from other news sources was the version where 4 students tackled the shooter as he fled.  I'm guessing most of the papers went with an AP wire report and only local and tv news crews were on scene.  I'm surprised somebody hasn't done an in-depth report of this event.  

If the professors had been armed, it wouldn't have made much difference.  Coroner reports show that the two professors were shot point-blank.  I doubt they saw it coming or they would have fled.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 09:08:28 AM by gofaster »

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2004, 09:59:18 AM »
One minor issue I might have with the newpaper reports being biased is that well over 50% of the newspapers in this Country are right of center. So if there were a nationwide conspiracy it would have to include both conservatives and liberals.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2004, 10:24:49 AM »
I have never heard that over 50% of papers are right leaning.   After you read the book on the real data maybe we can discuss it again?

gofaster... he didn't kill both professors at the same time and... I don't say having even a policeman on duty would prevent some death but.... armed teachers would not only be a powerful deterent (wouldn't it be better if the guy never even attempted it?)  not only the deterent factor but.... walk8ing through the crowd shooting till you ran out of ammo would no longer be a viable thing to do...  

still.... anything is better than "run away run away"  as a policy.

oh... not to take away from the bravery of the students who eventually did tackle the gunman at the law school... they were working thier way around him using whatever cover they could find...  very brave to even do that while he was armed... but face it... it would be stupid to run at an armed man who had just shot 2 people.   They waited till the armed student disarmed him.

lazs
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 10:27:47 AM by lazs2 »