Author Topic: 109 has torque, f6f5 has torque, f4u does not have torque  (Read 260 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
109 has torque, f6f5 has torque, f4u does not have torque
« on: December 28, 2000, 11:01:00 AM »
in fact the f4u takes a good bit of left rudder during climbout!

i know the vert stb is angled but they still needed right rudder on climb/takeoff even with the 3 degree angle on the f4u vert stab.

seems a bit hokey.

its just so docile even when cobing in the power at ultra low speed.

below stall speed (40mph or less) still has nice torque effects. but anything faster and they are so weak they aren't even noticed
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2000, 11:07:00 AM »
Hi

Flew a chog a few times off the CV seems to track straight on TO without any real rudder input, dont know if its accurate this way- however im 100% sure f4u torque is much much less than in 1.03.

thanks GRUNHERZ

Ice

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2000, 11:22:00 AM »
Cit...

All of the planes torque effect are toned down for gameplay I would guess...you know, new guy can't take off thing.

The 51 if throttle punched from a standstill would end up on it's lid...still, what a great product they have made for us

I have a feeling re: rudder deflection on takeoff is subject to crosswind. Taking off in one direction will require left rudder, and the other right.

A windsock would be nice eh?

Ltr

Ice

lazs

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2000, 11:29:00 AM »
I have to use right rudder to take off in either Hog.   Are we in the same sim?
lazs

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2000, 11:32:00 AM »
The A6M5b has a quite notable pull to the side while taking off.

I'd think that it would have a good deal less torque than an F4U, F6F or N1K due to its less powerful engine.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2000, 11:35:00 AM »

Originally posted by Ice:
Cit...

All of the planes torque effect are toned down for gameplay I would guess...you know, new guy can't take off thing.

Posted in http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum9/HTML/001120.html

Originally posted by hitech:
RAM said.

I see the torque tuning down as a redundant measure for playability.

Totaly incorect RAM.

HiTech

I didnt say exactly what Hitech quoted from me. Still, it seems apparent that if the torque hasnt been tuned down for playability reasons,as Hitech assures, then we are in front of a bug.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2000, 11:42:00 AM »
 I think CV,s should be required to "Turn into the wind" before you can take off. It would make the boat fights more interesting.

BTW. Cit, how are those guns on the P38 working out in 1.05

[This message has been edited by easymo (edited 12-28-2000).]

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2000, 12:25:00 PM »
oh man the p-38 guns are a dense stream of fire like a knife through butter but you still need a solid tracking shot most times.

f6f5 is my new second favorite plane (p-38L always no matter how terrible the fm gets   )
that hellcat is a slow sucker when level and climbs terrible but its blue and has 50 cal. its a given that it is cool as hell
it can hang with spits for a couple turns and its got lots of ammo that has good lethality at convergence. and its tough as nails and has a mean stall   I love it

f4u1d is tainted by the f4u1c which is unfortunate. maybe with the latest plethora of chogs spawning like rabbits we will have a perk plane in 1.05 after all.  

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline danish

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2000, 01:07:00 PM »
Took the dhog up 2-3 times today for the first time in god-knows-how-long.*Really* surprised on low speed handling, allthough I have seen it from the other side many times.

If this a whine so be it - first FM whine on AH AFAIR ;=) but I trust my (comparing-) feeling here.

no more on this

danish

Offline discod

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.millionaire.com
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2000, 01:26:00 PM »
I just tested almost every (single engine)fighter for torque comparisons and it seems almost all are the same with the exception of the Spit and Typhoon.  They have the least torque.

All the planes pull left (exept Typhoon and Yak) and require a fair amount of right rudder.

The test was done offline in external overhead view so I could see how far down the runway each plane got before veering off.  I gave them full throttle and didn't touch the stick.

In other observation where torque seems to be a killer is on landings.  I found the F4U to be one of the most difficult planes to land because it has a tendency to spin out on landing.  All the other planes seem easy to land by comparison.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2000, 02:22:00 PM »
Umm.. whats hard with F4u landing?
I've landed it on that CV at 90mph and once I did throttle up to full power at once when I needed to do go around and I hardly noticed any spinning or such.. (and I thought that it had tremendous torque?)
I can do that same in 109G2 easier and spin it over  

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2000, 04:08:00 PM »
Lazs, I get almost no torque effect at all in the F6F, F4U.  Maybe my joystick calibration is screwy.  Try this.

Go to CV.  Turn autotrim OFF.  Manually set rudder trim to the centre of its range.  Then start engine, hit full throttle and go WEP.

I found both the F6F and F4U tracked perfectly straight with no rudder input required.

Weird!

------------------
=357th Pony Express=
Aces High Training Corps

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2000, 04:30:00 PM »
adding fuel to the fire for once  

When 1.05 came out I decided to give the f4u1d a try again. It was one of my fav. aircraft prior to the 190 (the other being the p38L). Anyway, I remember in 1.03 when shamus and I tried it (Dhog) one day.  We kept ground looping and crashing on the takeoff run. Some bish named Bignuts (hm...) witnessed the carnage. We gave up and went to the p47. Anyway, on my first carrier takeoff, I left the trim as it was... full brakes, then slowly throttle up to full plus wep, 1 notch flaps.  I expected to be fighting with the torque and going off the edge a lot. Instead, a little rudder here.. a little counter rudder there.. and I tracked fairly straight down the deck. Off the deck.. a little back pressure and I was off. Note this is most likely not due to acquired skill... I don't sortie that much each tour, and I didn't touch the Dhog (and the Chog only once) since that fiasco.
Hm... a windsock on every airfield and the carrier would be nice.  Then we could estimate if it's the FM or just that we takeoff into massive headwinds  

mauser

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2000, 04:35:00 AM »
Quit talking aboot me.  

[This message has been edited by Torque (edited 12-29-2000).]

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com