Author Topic: 2 sides of a coin...  (Read 126 times)

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
2 sides of a coin...
« on: December 30, 2000, 10:34:00 AM »
I see people asking for smoke from ship guns, ejecting brass, ships smoking when damaged, a realistic sim etc etc
I just watched a bit of Midway on TV last night, there was quite abit of actual war footage, and damned if the tracer fire around the fleet didn't resemble the AH barrage!

I'd hate to be in HT's shoes with this crowd..  You scream for realistc effects, yet squeal even louder when you get frame rate hits...
HT has to cater to the player on a 450 mhz machine as well as the player on a 1.4ghz machine.  He has to find a happy medium. I think that only comes close to existance towards the end of an updates cycle.
If you can't meet minimum system requirements, which are going to increase over time, sorry, but the developer can't halt progress to wait for you.

A few more graphics options perhaps would be nice, these are a couple I thought could be implemented without giving anyone an advantage:

1/2 tracers, show half as many tracers from AA (but of course not 1/2 as many shots)

Turn off smoking planes (client side) perhaps the client also doesn't see the debris or pieces of the damaged aircraft on screen as well.

No prop i dunno if this would help much or not, and i don't think it really gives anyone an advantage.  Set it so that engine stopped, prop is displayed.

I am fine with 1.05, and don't need the above options, and the new dhog is gr8 +)

AKskurj

TheWobble

2 sides of a coin...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2000, 02:39:00 PM »
well how about some SETTINGS i.e. smake levels and what smokes and ejecting brass.....you know LIKE EVERY OTHER GAME. the single setting that AH has is the limiting factor, you can never cator to everyone without some video settings (other than resolution)

how about,

SMOKE LEVEL 1 thru 10
OBJECT DETAIL 1 thru 10
and so on and so that way the 1.4ghz can have their cake and the p2 300 wont have to be made sick by it.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
2 sides of a coin...
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2000, 03:13:00 PM »
Smoke settings create an unbalanced arena.  As soon as smoke can be turned off, it may as well have never been added to the sim in the first place.
Detail level...  Have a look next time you up Wobble, The objects in Aces are pretty low detail as is.  The number of objects in Aces is sparse to say the least as well.

No other arena sim I ever played gave you the option to turn off smoke, or affect anything that gave any player an advantage.
Well ok no cockpit and perhaps 2d in aw3.  Though I understand aw4 will remove these as well.

AKskurj

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
2 sides of a coin...
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2000, 09:33:00 PM »
In order to have various detail levels, the 3D models have to be more complex. (WHAT) Right now they are drawn one way, AS IS. If you wanted less detail, there would have to be another model of the same thing to get it. The only quick option wold be to display no skins, but then everything would look like a flying polygon and no texture...

------------------
"Wing up, Get kills, Be happy"

Midnight
13th TAS