Author Topic: Define your name  (Read 4530 times)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Define your name
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2004, 11:26:59 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Got tagged with the nick name in high school.  Later, while at Tandy, I did a proposal for an intelligent SCSI host adapter.  Tandy was not interested in doing it.
Sought out this little company looking to get Tandy's business named Adaptec.  Sold them on the idea, provided them with the design.  Got Tandy to buy it, got SCO to natively support it and then went to work for Adaptec.
The nick was resurrected at Adaptec.  I figured if it was going to keep following me around I might as well adopt it.

It was the AHA-1540 adapter.

So what you are saying is that you are not like all these other nerds here.....you are for real!!

Cool :cool:

HANDS

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
Define your name
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2004, 11:36:04 AM »
a few years ago I was a contractor at lockheed working on their telecomm and fiber-optic lines. At night when we had time we would "play" on the F-16 simulators. One night while playing some "real" pilots came in soo we all started dogfighting. after a few dogfights they gave us all callsignes mine was wildcard due to my "unique" flying and fighting syle.:eek:
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline Munkii

• Nickel Member
Define your name
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2004, 11:45:48 AM »
I like monkeys.. they remind me of my father.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Define your name
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2004, 11:48:05 AM »
Originally posted by WilldCrd
a few years ago I was a contractor at lockheed working on their telecomm and fiber-optic lines. At night when we had time we would "play" on the F-16 simulators. One night while playing some "real" pilots came in soo we all started dogfighting. after a few dogfights they gave us all callsignes mine was wildcard due to my "unique" flying and fighting syle.:eek:

you mean yelling and swearing from your chute while they did loops around you? :D

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Define your name
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2004, 12:32:31 PM »
:rolleyes:

Offline gunnss

• Nickel Member
      • https://grantvillegazette.com/wp/lastname-firstname/evans-kevin-h/
Define your name
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2004, 01:16:43 PM »
For 35 years I have been " Thorgierr Gunnarsson" in a renactor history club picked that becuse it sounded exotic .  Years later While in Malmo I found the name to be as common as "John Brown"  or "Fred Smith".

Back when AW Dos started with handles in place of numbers I tried for Gunnarson it didnt fit so it got choped to Gunns.......

Gunns

Gunns
5,486 HP 110 MPH @500 tons
My other "ride"
http://nmslrhs.org/Photos/photos.php
Alt History, The butterfly made me do it.....
https://grantvillegazette.com/wp/lastname-firstname/evans-kevin-h/

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Define your name
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2004, 01:23:36 PM »
my grandfathers name was Thorgeir :D

Offline Coolridr

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Define your name
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2004, 01:28:03 PM »
Cool Rider...
My Navy Anti-submarine Tactical Air Controller callsign..which was given to mebecause I used to ride a small British Motorcycle and wore big dark goggles while riding.They said  I looked like the guy from Grease 2 the "Cool Rider":aok

Offline wklink

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.simhq.com
Define your name
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2004, 01:32:40 PM »
I have always liked Hogan's Heroes.  When I joined Warbirds I wanted the call sign -klink but it was taken.  In a rush of brilliance (yeah right) I picked wklink for Wilhelm Klink.

It didn't occur to me that guys might think of it as weak link, which I am called most often.  In a way my nickname was defined to me by the rest of the arena.  Probably due to my flying ability :lol
The artist formerly known as Tom 'Wklink' Cofield

Offline mjolnir

• Nickel Member
Define your name
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2004, 01:38:51 PM »
Mine started off as Mjolnir, the hammer of the Norse god Thor.  Then, when I joined the AK's, I tried for AKMjolnir, but alas, the 8 character limit wouldn't allow it, and since no one could pronounce mjolnir anyway, I shortened it to Mj.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Define your name
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2004, 01:50:10 PM »
Originally posted by wklink
I have always liked Hogan's Heroes.  When I joined Warbirds I wanted the call sign -klink but it was taken.  In a rush of brilliance (yeah right) I picked wklink for Wilhelm Klink.

It didn't occur to me that guys might think of it as weak link, which I am called most often.  In a way my nickname was defined to me by the rest of the arena.  Probably due to my flying ability :lol

man were we in JG26 for EAW together a few years back?  With Savlan, Rhen, lobo and all those dudes?  I know Swoop was in that Brit squad that we used to consistantly and dramaticly spank on an unrelenting nightly basis :D

[edit]

PS guys since about 1998 or 1999 I started calling myself Ewedee :D  But I didn't know if any of you guys new what it really was.  There was a funny moment at the 1997 WB con over it :D

Offline wklink

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.simhq.com
Define your name
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2004, 01:54:38 PM »
Originally posted by Udie
man were we in JG26 for EAW together a few years back?  With Savlan, Rhen, lobo and all those dudes?  I know Swoop was in that Brit squad that we used to consistantly and dramaticly spank on an unrelenting nightly basis :D

Yep, that's me.  

Wondered if that was you?  They still play with IL2:FB and I am a 'reserve' pilot but with all this work I am doing I don't have time to do much of anything, including fly AH.   To be honest, after getting back from the Gulf it hasn't been quite as much fun.

If I didn't have a SimHq account with HTC I probably would end up cancelling it, I fly usually once a week, maybe twice.  

I actually have flown AH since the beta, was in WB for a long time and AW for a short time.   One of our other fellow JG 26ers, Jolly also flies AH, at least I assume he will when he gets back from Iraq.   I tried to get Rhin into it, he would really get off on this game but the whole pay money thing is something he can't get past.
The artist formerly known as Tom 'Wklink' Cofield

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
Define your name
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2004, 02:14:19 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
you mean yelling and swearing from your chute while they did loops around you? :D

actually for getting the technician to disable blackout/redout and G limiter. pulled some impossible moves and pounced em. especially in the canyons. i would bank hard right at a turn pull vertical when outta their sight loop back and blast em. IRL that manuever woulda pulled like 13 or more G's. When they cried no fair I told em if they let me have the same amount of real flight hours and the same training then we could come back and put our skills to the test.
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

VWE

Define your name
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2004, 02:59:05 PM »

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
      • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
Define your name
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2004, 03:03:32 PM »
I grew up near Yuma, AZ and the Imperial Valley Sand Dunes (Where they filmed Star Wars Return of the Jedi).  I spend a lot of time riding my quad on those dunes

And I was always a big fan of Herbert's Dune series.