Author Topic: When Hispanos are not enuff  (Read 301 times)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
When Hispanos are not enuff
« on: October 04, 2000, 10:45:00 AM »
Sometimes life has little lessons... lets take last night as an example.

I'm in the main; and as most of you are probably aware; I've been having a hell of a time with the .50's on the pony.. havn't been able to hit dick. Meanwhile; like the rest of us; gunnery probs or no; we've been dodging a rather high number of hispano shells tossed our way by an increasing number of F4u1c's and Typhies.

The main arena forcast nightly sounds like a a broken record litinay.. "Tonight; increasing F4U1c coverage at higher alts in knitland; accompanied by interspersed and lower typhoons.... The eastern bishland approches may expect intermittent heavy armor attacks; mixed with ostwind complications, augmented by low and sporadic hispano platform support"

Anyway; I'm orbiting F5 with a b26; tossin eggs out on acks and tracks, when lo; and behold.. an F4u comes rollin in on my front quarter. I opt for a defensive turn; and he misses most of his shot; pulls up and around steeply, lining up a fast re-engage high quarter six shot. After my break turn; I dive fer the tail position; crank up the guns and suddenly I'm lookin at 4 rockets commin in.

"HOLY SH*T!!".. they cut me in half!!!!

I'm spiraling down, with the front half of the plane.. catching intermittent glimpses of the rear half doin the same thing.. and I reflect that here, in the midst of my personal gunnery crisis.. unable to get the .50's to do what I need 'em to do; outta this cloud of hispano packin F4u drivin knit meatheads comes a guy who's decided he don't even need the damn hispano's..

*WHOSH*WHOSH*WHOSH*WHOSH*  I'll see them rockets commin in when I close my eyes fer quite a few nights to come I'll bet... and laff my bellybutton off every time.

WTG Drill!! LOL... change yer squad handle.. "When Hispano's are not enuff..."

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2000, 10:51:00 AM »
 It is kind of funny     I got a 109 the same way abnout four months ago. My sole purpose was to lighten my aircraft to dogfight but the rockets dishcarging coursed through the air and nailed him cleany instead!  

But I have heard horrible stories about so called "Rocketeers" in Fighter Ace II. Groups of idjits (dweeb would be much too high on the evolutionary scale in comparison) who use the air-to-ground rockets as SideWinders.
 I hope this won't happen here.

-Westy

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2000, 10:59:00 AM »
LOL.. it don't matter.. whatever it takes to get the kill.   I would not be adverse to using rockets intentionally against a buff.. the germans were pretty effective at it against b17 formations.

Drill said he hit the wrong button; and dammit I disagree. If the rockets can cut yah in half that neatly; why bother with the hispanos? The gun button woulda been the wrong one. I'f he'd a used the cannon; I'da likey had the time to gun him outta the sky. As it was; he pushed the RIGHT button, and killed me QUICK.  

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Wingnut_0

• Copper Member
      • http://www.Luftjagerkorps.com
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2000, 11:52:00 AM »
Westy your 100% correct on the rocket jockey's in FAII.  The biggest problem is that all rockets (and not just LW) are on a timed burst.

I've yet to hit anyone with a rocket here, but I rarely carry them.  Though I wouldn't wry about jockeys popping up cause the way rockets are modeled..etc, I doubt that many ppl would score a hit on a regular basis.

Wingnut

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2000, 01:24:00 PM »
ROFL.

Fariz

Offline NHFoxtro

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2000, 01:43:00 PM »
LOL Hangtime, I saw that kill, but didn't know who it was. He did cut you clean in half too lol. After I saw that,I climbed as high as I could above that crazy Rocket shooting bast#$%. LOL He wasn't gonna dive on me next.And Don't believe that thing " I hit the wrong button " That was a planed attack. It looked good enough to scare me into a climb. LOL  

------------------
NHFoxtro
-XO- Night Hawks

Offline jcy19

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2000, 05:11:00 PM »
BTW hangtime  DRILL hit me in my b17 with 2 rockets before you hit the ground. i did kill him but he took out  top, chin and waist turrets and engines 2 and 4 without fire those 20mms. just 2 litle rockets.

------------------
jcy19  | ||AirWolves| |

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2000, 05:48:00 PM »
Wingnuts is right...FAII has timed burst rocks...something like 3200 yds. It's just another reason it's an arcade like sim cause VR1 has resisted <read not even addressed> the timed burst issue. I flew FA2 for 2 weeks befor comming to my senses and subscribing to AH. One of the things that turned me away from FA2 was the vast numbers of "Rocketeers"...and the fact that, at $10 a month, lots of kiddies and their juvenile behavior are there also.

Lars

funked

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2000, 06:04:00 PM »
Rocket kills rule.  There should be a special kill message:  "DRILL just whupped Hangtime with ROCKETS!  What a stud!"

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2000, 08:58:00 PM »
Historical proof! Not dweebish!  

The first successful use of air-to-air missile took place on August 10, 1939 over the Khalkin Gol area (Mongolia). Five Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 fighters under command by Capt. Zvonarev claimed destruction of two Mitsubishi A5M by RS-82 unguided rockets.
The Guinness book of aircraft, p157

Now all we need is Rata and Claude...

[This message has been edited by juzz (edited 10-04-2000).]

Offline DRILL

• Copper Member
      • http://www.457thbgh.com
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2000, 08:31:00 PM »
 hangtime sir this is what happened  a5 under attack..by air n ground forces i choose the f4u rockets n bombs 2x 1000 lbs my plan was to hit vehs hitting a5 apon arrival i see low buffs i turned towared a b26 ..but rember i planed to hit vehs ..selected bombs ..saw b26 i hit buttion only once instead of twice ..hence rockets were armed when i fired at you i was just as supprised to see rockets launch as you were to see em ..it wea not intenual by any means i just did not hit buttion twice . and i tried to explane this to you .that it was not on purpus .i did get the kill   and trust me of toe 1000s of kills you have i must be at least 46% of em ..lol that is the truth as it happened ..as for the b17 said i hit it too with rockets if i did it was the same cicumstances  tho i did not notice that 1 happen as i was going dn lol...all tho when i do get you every once in a grate im proud to do so   so i say <S> TO YOU SIR ILL SEE YA IN THE AIR  

------------------
DRILL                     457th BG (H)
Drill /384th FA/CH 364th

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2000, 09:01:00 PM »
LOL DRILL!!

I was laffin then; and I'm laffin now... a big fat salute to you too; bud. I owe yah a shot of Tequila; that was one BEAUTIFUL shoot down.  

Just imagining the looks of mutual awed surprise on our faces has me giggilin right now...

<S!>

Hang

...at home, or abroad.