Author Topic: Setup for May 14: Germany: Battle for the Rhine, February 45  (Read 915 times)

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Setup for May 14: Germany: Battle for the Rhine, February 45
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2004, 11:00:53 AM »
I just noticed, no Osti-spumanti for the Axis?

Offline DktrEvil

• Copper Member
      • TheFunZone.com
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2004, 11:48:33 AM »
I like the setup, very refreshing.  I also like the idea of turning off the outside views, leave outside views for the newbies in the main arena.

I have another request, I would like to see the flashing base turned off or at least modified.  If you are closing in on an enemy base "under" radar then the base should not flash.  If you are "above" radar it need not flash since you will appear as a dot on the map.  If it can be made to flash only when vehicles are near then that would be ok.

I found this very nice when I flew the old WWII arena in Warbirds.  It made for very realistic conditions.  If you didn't keep your head on a swivel at all times you might get a tail full of lead.

If you can't do this for this week, it would be something nice for the future.

I am all for more realistic conditions and I ain't talking about historical planesets.  I mean, no outside views, no flashing bases for incoming aircraft, Radar you can fly under if necessary, radar that doesn't extend far beyond realistic boundries, and shorter icon ranges.

All these things make for better teamwork and better piloting habits in order to survive.  

I am sure there will be people that think this could reduce the enjoyment but I don't think so.  It might initially for those used to the present "reduced reality" settings of the Combat Theatre but after a day or two I am sure people would adjust and most would begin to like it.  You definately get a feel for how it was as a real pilot flying over Germany or Britain.

Maybe a separate arena with these settings "Realistic Arena" just for people to try out.  It would be fun one day to try "No Icons" on, I've done that before and you REALLY get a sense of how it was.  Plane identification and a pilots keen vision were key factors in living or dying in real life, there were no icons in WWII.

Anyhow, I finally got this off my chest and hope it stirs up some interest.  

Maybe I am the only one that enjoys a more realistic setup but I don't think so.

Regards
+Dr Evil's Death Squadron+

Let this be a lesson to you all that this organization will not tolerate .......... F-a-i-l-u-r-e!

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2004, 11:53:00 AM »
No more spits!!! Yippie!!!

Offline Skyfoxx

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2004, 01:50:57 PM »
Looks good as is. :aok

"Consider your own fortunes gentlemen the deepest circle of hell is reserved for traitors and mutineers."

Offline 327thBS

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2004, 05:23:37 PM »
howa bout u reset that perk cost on that 262..i mean some of us really dont live in the CT, i usually just go there to play and have fair to modest fun fights... we'll any way..it seems like a good setup to evry 1 that put there effort to the setup much thanks for it :aok

Offline Dogsta04

• Zinc Member
      • http://http://www.geocities.com/no800sqdn/index.html
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2004, 06:28:26 PM »
Originally posted by DktrEvil
I like the setup, very refreshing.  I also like the idea of turning off the outside views, leave outside views for the newbies in the main arena.

I have another request, I would like to see the flashing base turned off or at least modified.  If you are closing in on an enemy base "under" radar then the base should not flash.  If you are "above" radar it need not flash since you will appear as a dot on the map.  If it can be made to flash only when vehicles are near then that would be ok.

I believe that they can set the range on when a base flashes. although I agree that if your under dar you would not be see on Dar, Spotters in and around the field would hear and see enemy ingressing and sound an alarm, or contact local police/miltary/civil defence and they would sound an alarm.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2004, 10:38:07 PM »
Hmm... Interesting idea Evil.  When you say 'turning off the flashing base'...do you mean for aircraft?  I'll try turning it off for fighter aircraft but not for GV's.  The only concern is guys milk-running the bases for capture.

We have the ability to set the warning/flashing base range for bombers, fighters, ships, and ground vehicles. In this case, I'll set the fighters to 0.

327 - Perk points will actually limit the use of aircraft to historic level - both in gameplay and in the arena. Here's my thought...
75 perks... hmm... I only have 60-ish myself and I've been flying a bunch in the CT.  During WWII, only the most experienced and seasoned veterans flew the 262 - those who have earned their use.  In the CT, who'll fly them? The CT veterans which in a way will limit their use historically again. Same goes for Tigers.   Only the seasoned CT veterans will be allowed to use them.  

BTW- the Allies have a hidden Easter egg....: D
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2004, 11:17:53 PM »
fork

i can get 75 perks in 2 days like most ct so we shoud all be able to fly 262's but 152's are closer to action so

"during the last days of the war the 152 was my life insurance":D
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2004, 11:49:07 PM »
Originally posted by DktrEvil

Maybe I am the only one that enjoys a more realistic setup but I don't think so.

Regards

I think it is a great idea and would be all for it, if it is something the staffers are able to do within the game constraints.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline DktrEvil

• Copper Member
      • TheFunZone.com
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2004, 11:14:28 AM »
Fork,

I want to thank you for trying out the new Radar/View setup. It definately adds new dynamics to the Combat Theatre.

For example:

My squaddie noticed a formation of bombers pounding some of our airfields, he saw them turn around and realized they were rtb. Being the sneaky bastage he is, my squaddie decided to stay under DAR to try and intercept the buffs as they landed.

Sure as shootin, he timed it just right and arrived just in time to see the gear being lowered as the buffs lined up for the runway.  Needless to say 3 buffs died just short of the runway.

Under normal conditions the buffs would have seen the base flashing from miles away and been alerted to possible enemy in the area and would have immediately gone to the external view to spot possible cons.

I am a firm believer in realistic Radar/View settings in the Combat Theatre. It adds so much to the arena which you cannot find anywhere else in Aces High.

For those that like the "normal" settings" the Main Arena is a good option but give the rest of us a choice of more realistic settings somewhere in AH.

If you think about it the only difference between the MA and CT right now is planesets and maps.  No wonder there is so much focus in the CT on which planes should be in each weeks setup.  The focus is not on your skills but your hardware.  

Make the settings more realistic and you will find skills and teamwork become more of a factor.  You will also find there is more opportunity for innovative attack plans.

Thanks again Fork and don't stop here keep pushing the envelope.

Regards
+Dr Evil's Death Squadron+

Let this be a lesson to you all that this organization will not tolerate .......... F-a-i-l-u-r-e!