Author Topic: Got my Nikon D70 today!!!  (Read 2188 times)

Offline DA98

• Copper Member
Got my Nikon D70 today!!!
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2004, 06:24:45 PM »
The Canon 10D/300D CMOS sensor is  better than the Nikon D70 CCD. It's absolutely noise free at ISO100 and it reacts to highlights MUCH better than the Nikon. That's one of the problems I have with the D70; you have to be very careful with blowing any highlight, because the sensor saturates horribly. The CMOS images show saturation in a more natural manner, more film alike.

It's metalic body and chasis is another plus; I don't know how will the D70 plastic body react to the weight of the 70-200 over time...

Offline BB Gun

• Copper Member
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2004, 06:57:01 PM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
The program that I use most is called MGI PhotoSuite 4.  

Don't forget Paintshop Pro - 75%-85% of the functionality of Photoshop at 20% of the price.

BB
Win7x64/ECS PH-55A Black / Corei7 860 / 8GB Gskill F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK / Westy L2410NM / Radeon 5770 / Corsair 650TX / LG DVD / WD 640 Black AALS / WD 1TB&2TB GRN
My Pics
My daughter

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2004, 08:20:55 PM »
Originally posted by Gixer
One of my concerns about getting into a DSLR is not only the initial cost of the camera and a few memory sticks. But that I'll get hooked and end up spending a small fortune on extra lenses as well.

...-Gixer

Yes.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2004, 11:02:19 PM »
lol

So if I look at getting a Cannon 300D with it's 18-55mm lens and can only afford one other lens what's a good choice?

...-Gixer

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2004, 11:13:57 PM »
What are you planning to do with the camera?

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2004, 11:25:04 PM »
Originally posted by Mini D

Mainly outdoors,nature and holiday shots. Some sports and especially motorbike racing on the track where I can get pretty close so a massive telephoto isn't required.

...-Gixer

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2004, 11:25:16 PM »
lol

So if I look at getting a Cannon 300D with it's 18-55mm lens and can only afford one other lens what's a good choice?

...-Gixer

I'd probably probably some sort of 70-200 or 70-300 zoom.

With My D70 however the first extra lens I got was a Nikkor 50mm 1.8D beacuse its so cheap and sharp and good for low light.

I still havent dicided which 70-300 to buy..
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 11:29:59 PM by GRUNHERZ »

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2004, 11:26:06 PM »
Originally posted by Mini D

He will shoot birds! Just like you, of course!!!

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2004, 11:44:42 PM »
Mainly outdoors,nature and holiday shots. Some sports and especially motorbike racing on the track where I can get pretty close so a massive telephoto isn't required.
...-Gixer
Most of the things you want to look for:

Focus speed
internal stability

These do matter.  If you're only planning on buying one other lens, take the time and learn something about them first.  If you don't, you'll be unhappy and wanting to buy another before you realize it.

MiniD

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2004, 12:59:53 AM »
I've been tempted by the SLRs, but six (or so) months ago, I read about Fovenon X3 technology.  It will pretty much obsolete all current digital cameras.

Don't recall too much about the article [discover or scientific american,] but essentially x3 embeds sensors at 3 different layers, one for each of the primary colors.  Current digital cameras don't do anything like that and use an interpolation scheme to guess at the correct color.

I remember Sigma SD9 (x3 technology) outperformed Canon D60 and Nikon D100

http://www.foveon.com

curly

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2004, 05:50:08 AM »
Originally posted by AKcurly
I've been tempted by the SLRs, but six (or so) months ago, I read about Fovenon X3 technology.  It will pretty much obsolete all current digital cameras.

Don't recall too much about the article [discover or scientific american,] but essentially x3 embeds sensors at 3 different layers, one for each of the primary colors.  Current digital cameras don't do anything like that and use an interpolation scheme to guess at the correct color.

I remember Sigma SD9 (x3 technology) outperformed Canon D60 and Nikon D100

http://www.foveon.com

curly

I was thinking the same thing, but I haven't heard much since then.  It should be huge when it goes mainstream, but I've seen no marketing.  It may be awhile.

eskimo

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2004, 06:27:23 AM »
Thanks for the post on Fovenon X3 interesting reading. Makes you wonder how much longer film will be around. Day's are surely numbered, especially for the consumer market.

...-Gixer

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2004, 09:55:21 AM »
AKcurly, thanks for the link -- hadn't heard about Fovenon X3 technology.  Some great reviews linked there.  

Hope the new digital 3-layer soon is bought by Nikon and Canon, translated into pocket digital cameras (and introduced to even better mopic/still combo pocket cameras),  and Fovenon is rewarded handsomely for its innovation.  

Oh, and hope the file storage can be held to around 1 meg or less per shot.   Yep, I want it all -- max quality, minimum although ergonomic camera size, max and user-friendly features, and minimimum file size.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2004, 10:07:34 AM »
Damn... was hoping torque would come back and shed some light on his decision.

MiniD

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2004, 11:54:41 AM »
Originally posted by slimm50
Hope no one minds a post of a dweebish Canon S45 shot:

Dweebish? try a Canon Ixus 400

Got it for free and before that I were able to freely 'borrow' S45.
I do miss the features.

Maybe someday I'll get money to buy an actual camera ;)

This birdie actually landed 1.5 meters from me, after catching a fish and some air combat with an another bird.
What a poser :D

Maybe theres some interest in those pics too, however a bit weak on the quality when I didn't have time to adjust camera properly :I

Right off the book on how to bounce an enemy.

Darn focus went in the forrest!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 12:00:25 PM by Fishu »