Author Topic: Phantom trees  (Read 254 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Phantom trees
« on: May 22, 2005, 01:52:14 PM »
I noticed that trees tend to pop up at differing distances depending upon the location on the Trinity map.

For example, at field A63, individual trees would appear at about 800 yards. At field A52, some trees would not become visible until within 100 yards. These quite literally pop up in your face, too close to avoid. Not only do you not see the tree until right on top of it, you have to get within a wingspan of it to see any definition.

I filmed this offline and verified that there are two phantom trees south of A52. Now you see 'em, now you don't... I originally discovered one of them while trying to spot some Panzers in the nearby treeline. I can forward films if need be.

I would think that all graphic renderings should be visible at consistent ranges, not appearing like magic right in your face while other trees, hundreds of yards away, are visible from far greater distance.

My system:

P4, 3.0 gig
ASUS P4PE2-X MB
1 gig RAM
ATI 9600XT, latest drivers
Sound Blaster Live

My graphics sliders are set mid-scale to keep frame rates reasonable in heavy traffic.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
Re: Phantom trees
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 12:33:58 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing

My graphics sliders are set mid-scale to keep frame rates reasonable in heavy traffic.

this is most likely the reason for the trees popping up at you. I had this problem until I upgraded and can now run all sliders at default. I no longer have this issue.

If you need to run at these settings I would suggest you make a point of not flying down in the trees.

(because guys like me know guys like you have these problems and we will go down and play hide-n-seek in the trees :D )

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Phantom trees
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 10:55:18 PM »
Well they magically pop in if you are on short final too, that's the worst!  I nearly lost my 262 the other night as I was coming back to land.  Im glad I kept the power up just in case a tree surprise happened.

But the trees are really becoming an issue

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
Phantom trees
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 09:02:49 AM »
Widewing, I just payed attention to your specs. You really shouldn't be having these problems. Try setting your sliders to the default settings.

this is my setup:

Intel P4 3.2 Prescott
1gb DDR 400 RAM
GeForce 6600GT 128mb

I run my sliders at default and I never have trees pop up out of nowhere on me. I get consistant 40,50,60+ FPS depending on the number of planes and objects in the view.