Author Topic: The good, bad and ugly.  (Read 474 times)

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
The good, bad and ugly.
« on: May 16, 2004, 07:43:02 AM »
The Good:

I do like the enlarged ammo counters and field designations! I have an ATI card and run resolution @ 1280 x 1024 so it really helps. Running even AH1 at less than that resolution turns every thing ugly fast with these new cards.

Frame rates are very acceptable. Kudos!

I like the tracers, and the sensation of recoil translating into aircraft buffeting from MG and cannons. It seems more what I would expect, even without the benefit of having experienced it firsthand.

I like the enhanced feel of torque and it also seems more in line with all I've read concerning later-model, high HP aircraft.

I like the gunnery difficulty. I understand it was very difficult for many of the pilots of most of these aircraft to achieve gunnery solutions because of the continuous difficulty in trimming the aircraft to get a stable, non-skidding platform. Kudos!

I like the more realistic sensation of speed on the deck.

The Bad:

I'll preface by saying that I am not an expert witness - I've never flown a warbird. Actually, I haven't flown in about 20 years and only flew a few hours in a taildragger, so this is my impressions of what I would anticipate from expanding on limited experience. Ground handling seems a little more difficult than I would expect. I'm comfortable with and feel I was always competent at differential braking, but some aircraft seem unusually difficult. Didn't many of these aircraft have a lockable tailwheel?

I'm unsure about the overall haze that I understand is necessary for frame rate optimization. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but  it may be the coloring. Even in the cloudless arena, I feel as if I'm flying in an unnatural murky smog. Ground objects don't seem to have any radiance to them.

I found out that I should never, ever change gamma from within AH2 - PC lockup.

I still wish field designations could identify the grid coordinates... :)
For example:
G9 = an airfield in sector G-9 using alpha designator for x axis.
VC7 = vehicle base in C-7
PH62 = the port in H-6 sector, keypad 2, since there is another port in same sector...

The Ugly:

Cellulite. Can you do something about that, Hitech, Pyro or Superfly?

I know it's a work-in-progress and I don't really see anything ugly... :)

I know you'll get some of the terrain graphics and stutter issues resolved. I wonder if having the ability to run AH2 in a windowed environment (as an option to full-screen) might solve some problems for some people? For some reason, a windowed environment has cured many problems, or less than sterling performance I've had with other DirectX games in FS mode.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 10:05:54 AM by Rolex »

Offline moto61

• Copper Member
      • http://www.eastex.net/moto
Try this for the cellulite
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 08:08:54 AM »
I think I know what you are calling celluilte. Try this: Go to video Settings and set the max texture size to 512 instead of unlimited. I did this and it smoothed out the ground texture a great deal.

:confused:

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
The good, bad and ugly.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 09:59:58 AM »
:)

I'm in favor of federal regulations banning fat women from wearing shorts. Especially women who weigh 512k.