• Nickel Member
Ravells
« on: May 17, 2004, 06:10:52 PM »
Where exactly did you live in Malaysia?

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
Ravells
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 06:12:24 PM »
Kuala Lumpur.........and then I came to school here. Dad went to live in Johor Bharu for a few years...he's now in Shah Alam. Mum is still in KL.

why do you ask?

Ravs

Offline Munkii

• Nickel Member
Ravells
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 06:21:54 PM »
My girlfriend is from Malaysia, her brother is in Kuala Lumpur for school and her family lives in Port Dixon, Negeri Sembilan.  I'm thinking of taking a trip over there in August to bring her back to the US and was wondering if you knew some nice sights on the mainland.  I'll be taking a ferry over to the island for about 2 days and the next week and a half I will be on the penninsula.

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
Ravells
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 06:35:17 PM »
Port Dixon....used to be lovely a long time ago.

Ask her if she knows a 'Dr Rama' He's lived there for years (their house is called RamBetHem...it's on themain road) and he's a good friend of the family.

If you would like to see coral reefs, go to pulau Tioman...for a relaxing holiday (but expensive) try pankor laut.  Penang is nice.

But the one thing you MUST do when you to Malaysia is eat Chilli Crabs. They catch them when the shells are moulting and you eat them with toast and lots of gravy....I promise you, you won't be disappointed!

Ravs

Offline Munkii

• Nickel Member
Ravells
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 06:43:06 PM »
Will do, her father is a highly respected council member in Port Dixon, so I wouldn't be surprised if they new each other.  He's in the Gan family.   He's also the president of the school board in one of the suburbs to Port Dixon.

I've actually eaten some of the crabs, but they weren't as fresh. I love Malaysian food with all the seafood and spices.  I actually travel about 100 miles once a month to eat at the only Malaysian restaurant in Oklahoma.

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
Ravells
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 06:57:16 PM »
I'll ask my dad. He knows everyone and he's visiting at the moment.

The thing I miss most about being away from Malaysia is the food. London has most everything, but not Nonya food.

Ravs

Offline Munkii

• Nickel Member
Ravells
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 07:02:32 PM »
Originally posted by ravells
I'll ask my dad. He knows everyone and he's visiting at the moment.

The thing I miss most about being away from Malaysia is the food. London has most everything, but not Nonya food.

Ravs

Is your family Malay, British, Indian or Chinese?  I know there are a lot of other possibilities, but those are the major groups in Malaysia correct?

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
Ravells
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 07:04:38 PM »
Correct. He's Indian.

Ravs

Offline Munkii

• Nickel Member
Ravells
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 07:07:10 PM »
Correct. He's Indian.

Ravs

There is a good chance he knows him then.  The Gan's know a lot of Indians and employ a lot of Malay's but know hardly any British, although their presence isn't as strong as it was 40 years ago in Port Dixon, or so I've read.

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
Ravells
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 07:11:47 PM »
Yes, that's true. Although your family will probably know John Willoughby....English chap who married a Malay woman. He's a keen sailor and built a house in the middle of the jungle on this lookout point. He cut a staircase down the cliff down to a bay where he kept his boat. Knew the pirate king of Thailand by all accounts and so could sail safely in those waters.

Back then...there was lots of jungle. Now, his house is a little clump of trees and there's a string of hotels down the beach.

Once upon a time when you went swimming in port dixon, little fish would come and nibble on you. Now all the fish are dead and the pollution ensures that all you can get is a good case of thrush, if you're lucky.

Ravs

Offline Munkii

• Nickel Member
Ravells
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 07:22:06 PM »
Yes, that's true. Although your family will probably know John Willoughby....English chap who married a Malay woman. He's a keen sailor and built a house in the middle of the jungle on this lookout point. He cut a staircase down the cliff down to a bay where he kept his boat. Knew the pirate king of Thailand by all accounts and so could sail safely in those waters.

Back then...there was lots of jungle. Now, his house is a little clump of trees and there's a string of hotels down the beach.

Once upon a time when you went swimming in port dixon, little fish would come and nibble on you. Now all the fish are dead and the pollution ensures that all you can get is a good case of thrush, if you're lucky.

Ravs

I'll be on the phone with her in a few minutes, I'll ask her about all this then.