Author Topic: Understanding Racism  (Read 2032 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2004, 03:26:11 AM »
Nilsen do you happend know any of the 3 or 4 non-white people in Norway?

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2004, 03:46:31 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ

There are white people in Norway??!!!?

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2004, 03:52:40 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ

I know of only one white person actually, but she has some sort of pigment disorder and red eyes. The also has big glasses, so as you may guess......she is no treat.

what was your question again?

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Understanding Racism
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2004, 05:37:03 AM »
the guy seems to be talking out his bellybutton and contradicting himself from one paragraph to the next.  

for example in his 11th paragraph he states that white refused to distinguish between different tribes and cultures for the purpose of dehumanizing them.

African cultural and ethnic differences were neither recorded nor considered important in making distinctions, any African was black, and any black was a Negro, and Negroes had no cultural heritage. To recognize Africans as Asante, Yoruba, Ibo, Ibibio, Hausa, Mandingo, Fulani, Wolof, Serere, Kikongo, Fante, and so forth would have meant ascribing history, cosmologies, indeed, humanity to those who were enslaved. Without humanity, Africans could be called the worst epithets thinkable by white Americans.  

but in his 12th paragraph he says that slave owners treated slaves differently based on perceived differences from one tribe to another, and that there is an abundance of stories of slave owners who had a preference for slaves of one tribe or another based on these perceived differences.

Thus, Mandingo people were treated one way and Asante another based upon what was perceived to be temperamental differences. The literature of slavery is abundant with stories of slave-owners indicating preference for certain Africans because of perceived value based on difference traits, real or imagined

so how is it that you could have a preference for one ethnic or cultural group, or value one group over another if you neither recorded nor considered important their ethnic or cultural heritage, and any African was black, and any black was a Negro, and Negroes had no cultural heritage.

the man doesn't even agree with himself, so maybe he can try and figure out what he thinks happened and give it another try.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2004, 08:30:39 AM »
Why are the smelly eurotrash culture snobs allowed in this thread?

I discriminate all the time.  I base my discrimination on a lot of factors.  

I don't think we should punish one or another class or race tho to "even things up".  

lazs

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2004, 08:36:32 AM »
Originally posted by Thud
You rightwingers love to victimize yourself don't you...
Everybody's against you, the media, the educational system, the minorities, the Europeans. Poor you!

Not as much as you left wingers like to create them.  Oh the poor opressed people....they need govt hand outs or no ones gonna take care of them.  Lets make them so dependent on hand outs (cause they dont know anybetter) so they will never be truly independent person and allways need us.

Why are the smelly eurotrash culture snobs allowed in this thread?

I discriminate all the time. I base my discrimination on a lot of factors.

I don't think we should punish one or another class or race tho to "even things up".

lazs

A guy I work with just got back from being stationed in europe.  He's from alabama and said he saw more racism there than he ever did back in the states.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2004, 08:47:11 AM »
yes... everyone who lives here (U.S.) would see more racism if they were dumped back into their native land than they do here.

hell.. even our indians discriminated against each other.

lazs

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2004, 09:28:52 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
I know of only one white person actually, but she has some sort of pigment disorder and red eyes. The also has big glasses, so as you may guess......she is no treat.

what was your question again?

I'll take that as a no!

:D

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2004, 09:35:07 AM »
you could Grun, but one of my best friends is from Colombia. 2 of my neighbours are from Spain and 2 houses down there are 4 people from Iran.  :)

There is an asian community not too far away and also several individuals from Somalia.

I'm prolly one of the least racist people you can find on ths BBS.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2004, 09:49:45 AM »
So... did anyone see Colin Powell on "Meet the Press" the other day?

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2004, 09:53:47 AM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
So... did anyone see Colin Powell on "Meet the Press" the other day?

-- Todd/Leviathn

Bout freakin time!

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2004, 10:19:10 AM »
Racism - just a word now used by people who won't accept responsiblity for their own actions and want to place blame or fault on others.

Pretty much how it works now isn't it?

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Thud

• Nickel Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2004, 10:50:58 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
Not as much as you left wingers like to create them.  Oh the poor opressed people....they need govt hand outs or no ones gonna take care of them.  Lets make them so dependent on hand outs (cause they dont know anybetter) so they will never be truly independent person and allways need us.

Sure. And helping some people just so much that they are able to make ends meet and move on with life is horrible. Just let them slide and fade out of society. If I was an unbiased bystander I'd say you were an egocentric without an eye for the long-term perspective...

A guy I work with just got back from being stationed in europe.  He's from alabama and said he saw more racism there than he ever did back in the states.

A girl I know did her internship in the States, said that she got the impression that all Americans were shallow superficial bigots except for a few and far between exceptions.
I know for a fact she is wrong. You on the other hand will surely be convinced that your buddy's impression was objective and representative. Says more about the both of you than about Europe.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 10:57:51 AM by Thud »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2004, 10:52:34 AM »

A girl I know did her internship in the States, said that she got the impression that all Americans were shallow superficial bigots except for a few and far between exceptions.

She is only bitter because she was so ugly she didn't get any...

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2004, 11:15:38 AM »
Sure. And helping some people just so much that they are able to make ends meet and move on with life is horrible. Just let them slide and fade out of society. If I was an unbiased bystander I'd say you were an egocentric without an eye for the long-term perspective...

Nope I just grew up seeing people become so dependent on welfare that it was better for them to stay on it than get a job and become a productive member of society.  I do not need a libral to tell me how to live....tell me I need him to get by....tell me how to raise my children.  I provide for my family and wince at those who do not

I know for a fact she is wrong. You on the other hand will surely be convinced that your buddy's impression was objective and representative. Says more about the both of you than about Europe.

Well I'm sorry she got that opinion of us.  We are alot of things including what you described.  Maybe I shouldnt have used the word EUROPE instead I would say England France Germany and Italy.  Those are the countrys some of my coworkers have lived in and they all say the same thing.  I'm not saying they are bad people just that there's alot of people in europe that live in glass houses.....especially on this board.