Author Topic: Trees again!  (Read 638 times)

Offline Janov

• Zinc Member
Trees again!
« on: May 19, 2004, 06:42:41 AM »
I have already brought this up a few days ago, but wasnt satisfied with the response and attention this got. I think it´s a major spoiler for the gameplay in AH2!
Depending on the visibility you choose in AH2 (SHIFT-F1 to SHIFT-F3) the trees get turned off while flying above a certain altitude. This is to help with framerate. Here is the caveat:
A Groundvehicle hiding under a tree will be invisible (and un-strafeable) to planes that have trees displayed. But when choosing a mode without trees displayed above a certain alt (SHIFT-F3) then u can see and strafe the GV until you get below a certain alt (like 1500feet for SHIFT-F2 and 500 feet for SHIFT-F3). This makes trees useless for hiding from planes. Period.

I tested this with Darkish (thx again!) and he also helped me with posting pictures to clarify the issue. I got a response from Hitech the last time I posted, but it wasnt really answering to the problem of gameplay. I think the option to turn off trees above a certain height has to be removed!

Litjan

This shows the GV hiding under trees, even the label is almost hidden, the way it should be.

IMG][/IMG]

The same view, taken a splitsecond later. I pressed "SHIFT-F3" just before taking this picture. It removed the trees and the GV is now visible to the plane. Who would have trees "on" while hunting GVs?[

Offline Stratocaster

• Nickel Member
Trees again!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 07:17:16 AM »
thats a very good point
Strat

∼<<∼Loose Deuce∼>>∼

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Trees again!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 08:29:08 AM »
While HT reads and replies to messages in this forum, this really should go in the bug report forum. It's definitely a bug!

WTG on testing this out. GVs just shouldn't be visible if under trees from any alt. Except of course from the side at ground level. :)
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Janov

• Zinc Member
Trees again!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 09:43:54 AM »
I put this into this forum deliberately, since the way it is now is intentional, not a bug. Nevertheless, I think it is much worse for gameplay than many of the smaller bugs still in beta33.

I invite anyone´s comment on this, is it just me who thinks this is bad? Maybe the majority of players just want good framerates for dogfighting and don´t care about the tactical enhancements that solid trees bring to vehicle drivers. I personally loath to be at the mercy of any halfway able pilot when driving around in my tank, with no way of employing real GV-tactics like camouflage and hiding in forests.

I find it curious that after the effort they have put into developing tactically relevant trees (will stop vehicle, bullets, line of sight) they still allow such a gameplay-loophole. Or is the fear of people not making the transition to AH2 due to slower framerates the governing factor here?

Litjan

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
Trees again!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 09:58:37 AM »
I agree.  If trees are going to be there, they need to work no matter what alt you are viewing from.  Otherwise, what it the point?  I know trees can block shots, but if the enemy aircraft has already spotted you from a higher alt, it is only a matter of time before...BOOM!
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline Janov

• Zinc Member
Trees again!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 11:11:12 AM »
As a matter of fact, the trees won´t even block the shots if the shooting aircraft doesn´t have them displayed. His computer will register hits on your vehicle, and send the damage over the internet. Then you will get the damage, even if you thought you were safely under the cover of trees...

Even worse: If you are in a Ostwind or M16 you won´t be able to shoot back! The trees will block your view and bullets (trees are always displayed for GVs, since they are at 0 alt) but the plane can see and strafe you at leisure, as long as it is above 500 feet :-(

Litjan

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Trees again!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 11:16:11 AM »
Yes, this absolutely needs to be changed.

This would be totally unfair to AA types (M16, FLAK) that are trying to use trees as cover to protect them.

You just know some gamer "gaming the game" will turn off trees so that he can attack from any angle. The GV will not be able to return fire because of tree cover blocking his shots.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Trees again!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 11:26:15 AM »
Wonder if bombs would be affected by the trees also?
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Trees again!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 11:41:10 AM »
Has been on my list to do, the vehicles will not be shown if trees are not.

HiTech