Author Topic: Bill Cosby on the need to speak 'English'  (Read 2477 times)

storch

Bill Cosby on the need to speak 'English'
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2004, 03:56:34 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
storch... not trying to argue but... 70"s bikers were a tiny bit different in the bay area of California than they are today about anywhere.

lazs

No doubt, all we had around here were the outlaws and they were pretty notorius maybe even infamous.  And I guess they were pretty bad, in numbers.  Anyways the cocaine cowboys came in capped one or three of them, took their market share and sent them packing.  The only bikers left here now are partners in law firms during the week.

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2004, 07:04:53 PM »
I will admit that slang is like a first language to me. It is easier to speak slang than to speak correct english. The problem begins when an individual cannot determine when to speak correct english and when to speak slang. To me its quite simple. Job interview one must speak using proper English. On the other end, if I'm chilling at the club wit my dawgs soakin up the scene tryin to holla at some applebottom honies slang. When approaching the young lady in question one must speak using proper english again. See easy.

Unfortuantely Grun my interpretation of the slave mentality is the same as yours. Alot of black americans are still waiting for their 40 acres and a mule. Although I believe that equality is not where it should be we as a people live to much in the past. America will never be totally equal until minorities take control of there own lives and aggressively pursue equallity. My so called modern day black leaders do nothing but biatch and complain. Cosby is telling the truth. He is a pioneer to the entertainment industry. He has tried to change americas image of the average black american. People fought hard for us not to be forced to the back of the bus, but when we get on these days, where do we prefer to sit? IN THE BACK OF THE DAMN BUS!!!!

Everything is about image. Sure I like nice things. I drive the big truck with 22" rims. Same things I see on TV I also want. I dont see anything wrong with that if you work hard for it. When all the "bling bling becomes a problem is when you are still living with your mother or pulling up to your apt with a $50k+  truck wearing your $400 shoes. So when image takes over your priorities something is wrong with that. We need to invest more. Instead of the $70k H2 do like me buy a used Tahoe for $21k get your credit straight and save for a house or condo.

Ok im getting too into this. As some know I get frustrated when subjects of race come in. I will marinate in my own thoughts.

Offline jetb123

• Silver Member
« Reply #122 on: May 28, 2004, 05:33:14 PM »
Nicely put Jamusta, thats how i see it if you speak slang you got to know when and when not to use it thats all about it no race comes into.Cause to tell the truth we all speak slang.;)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2004, 10:22:54 AM »
jamusta.. I hve no problem with anything you said in the last post.  I find it easier to speak gearhead of firearms but know when to do it.   I see no reason to speak slang tho... I would say that when you speak ebonics to fellow blacks you are in effect being part of the problem in order to fit in.

Case in point... on occassion people from my past will show up (those still living)  and they speak a biker lingo that I used to speak... I don't play along.  If you do then you are opening the door for more "cultural" crap.   It does not make me hip or cool it makes me stupid.

Now... I like to see blacks buy a used car and save for a home.  I believe that is the way to better relations.   the $400 shoes and escalade with 20" wheels while living in an aparment in a ghetto zone is a loser path.   Just as a swastica tats and dirty levis and rat Harleys are/were.

lazs