Author Topic: Need CPU cooling ideas  (Read 306 times)

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Need CPU cooling ideas
« on: May 29, 2004, 08:20:48 AM »
Now that i am burning dvd's, it has become painfully obvious that I need a bit more than a stock cpu cooling system.  Any Ideas??
  I am not going with any liquid cooling stuff.
Does the paste work?  Like arctic silver and the such?
What about a good heatsink/fan???

Thnx

System specs below

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
Need CPU cooling ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 12:32:46 PM »
Is it your cpu temps that are climbing,or your case temps?Adding a case fan or two could greatly improve your temps.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Need CPU cooling ideas
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 01:01:31 PM »
If your gonna burn cd's alot  id suggest a top case fan to pull the heat out and or a modification to the case .

they need a panel that goes across from the lowest 5.75 cd/assessory slot to the powersupply  (or angled up just in front of the ps )

this would isolate the cd rom drives in the case and a duel fan power supply may be able to evac the heat  or a top case fan would work for shure.

A vent installed in the lower 5.75 would help with the airflow also

basically isolate the heat monster cdroms from the rest of the case by making a aluminum/tin partition in the case .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Need CPU cooling ideas
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 01:05:51 PM »
WH - I found that an up to date tower case with three cooling fans made an enormous difference. I have two fans at the front sucking air in, and one at the back blowing out, so the case is very well ventilated. The CPU temp is now about 50° as opposed to 67° with the old case, which originally housed a P2/266 and didn't make provision for the 12cm fans.  I don't bother with paste or arctic silver.

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Need CPU cooling ideas
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004, 01:07:06 PM »
thnx..i just assumed it was the cpu that was overheating cuz I was getting lockups during the burn.  I will monitor all my temps the next time to make sure where the problem is.  I have 3 case fans (stock as they may be).  Maybe Ill just open the case and blow a  regular 12" fan in there for my burn sessions.  I just ordered a thermal right volcano for my CPU tho.  The reviews were real good and it was only 20 bucks.

Roger that beetle.  Maybe I'll mod my case for and additional fan at the front to draw in some fresh air.

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
Need CPU cooling ideas
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2004, 02:23:52 PM »
If you are installing a new HS/fan you may as well use some Artic Silver 5.  If that doesn't stop your lockups, you may want to back off your overclock a bit bcause it obviously isn't stable.  You are stable if you can run Prime 95 Torture Test at least overnight with no errors.

DJ229 - AIR MAFIA
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
Need CPU cooling ideas
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 04:34:54 PM »
I to recently added a few case fans and something I was told may help or apply......

Having more intake fans over exhaust fans may not be the best solution.

Hot air expands. If you cant pull the hot air out the cool air comming in will rise in  temp before it has a chance to cool components. Of course the amopunt of hot air you need to pull out will depend on the amount of heat producing components you have installed.

I just wish the person who told me this could have given some kind of "Rule of Thumb" but they couldnt. They just told me to use a thermometer and set a base reference and adjust as needed.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Need CPU cooling ideas
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004, 11:23:27 PM »
actually, I think your friend has it backward.

I doubt that it makes more than a very marginal difference, but the same rule that says if you suck the hot air out cold air will be drawn in, also says that if you force air in it will find a way out.

the only real advantage of one way over the other is that if you force air in  you will have a very-slightly higher pressure in the case, which would actually aid in how fast heat could transfer from the components to the air.

like I said though, I doubt the difference would even be measurable.

what would make a much more noticeable difference is to make sure you are pushing air in low in the case and venting high.

also if you can let air vent near high-heat components their heat won't add to your case temp.

if it's your DVD drive thats heating you up, and you have an empty slot I'd put the drive in the second slot from the top and use the top slot for a vent, that way the heat goes directly out of the case.

I hooked up a small window ac unit to my case.  my CPU and MB temps stay below 85F most of the time, and tops out at 102F in gaming.

ps, bigger cases run cooler.  the last one I bought was a full tower, very easy to keep cool and a lot of places to push air in and let it out.

Offline boxboy28

• Gold Member
      • http://none
Need CPU cooling ideas
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2004, 01:59:30 AM »
my .02 cent

for every fan you got blowing in have one blowing out ! (ie  -  my case 2 in front 1 on side blowing IN , 2 in back one on top blowin OUT)

Next get a good HS  by this i mean something like an thermalright SLK 947U (U is a universal +solid copper and  artic silver paste)

here is a good place to start looking (better prices may be else where)

http://heatsinkfactory.com/cgi-bin/HFAstore.pl
^"^Nazgul^"^    fly with the undead!
Jaxxo got nice tata's  and Lyric is Andre the giant with blond hair!