Author Topic: Task Groups  (Read 952 times)

Offline TrueKill

• Silver Member
Task Groups
« on: May 24, 2004, 11:44:36 PM »
eather give the knights somemore TGs with crusers or take some of the bishops away cuz how they have them all in one place there no way in hell to stop them with SBs or anything else. they have like 5-10 crusers shellin one field at once, and we only have one TG with one cruser. now i know the japs hade more then that id like it if we could get one of the big TGs with 3-5 cruser so we can fight back.

Offline afool

• Zinc Member
Re: Task Groups
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 06:45:22 AM »
Originally posted by TrueKill
eather give the knights somemore TGs with crusers or take some of the bishops away cuz how they have them all in one place there no way in hell to stop them with SBs or anything else. they have like 5-10 crusers shellin one field at once, and we only have one TG with one cruser. now i know the japs hade more then that id like it if we could get one of the big TGs with 3-5 cruser so we can fight back.

Yes, another small IJN TG would be nice. I'm not quite sure if it historical, but it would be nice.

The IJN and the small allied TG did come together last night SW of A20. I had great fun, but it seemed that the allied TG was caught sleeping. Only two destroyer on the allied side got away with no losses for the IJN.

Yes another TG for the IJN would be nice.

afool

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/duxfordeagles
Re: Task Groups
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 07:46:19 AM »
Originally posted by TrueKill

Guys it's The Battle of Okinawa The IJN is not supposed to have an equal number of ships. Just like in the early Solomon setups the USN has fewer ships. If I remember right the IJN only sortied one TF during the battle built around the battleship Yamato. It's job was to try and beach it'self near the invasion beaches and shell the Americans.  It didnt make it. By this time of the war the IJN was nearly out of capital ships.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Task Groups
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 09:42:12 AM »
no way in hell to stop them with SBs or anything else.

The settings may be off. Its only supposed to take 4k to kill a CV. I think its supposed to be 750lbs for any other ship. That being said, on more than one occasion there has been a ship that took 10 times the amount of ord without going down.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Task Groups
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 11:01:25 AM »
Like Lowe said, there should only be one IJN taskforce. The ship numbers are very accurate, the USN had utterly overwhelming superiority in their TF's. With 6 CV's total in 3 TF's its probably a bit short of what was really there (werent there 2 fast carrier task groups with 4 CV's each in RL?), but more would be overkill in the CT.

Just as in Second Wind, a Japanese "victory" should be merely slowing down the USN, not stopping them. For whatever reason (I dont know why) its not playing out like that, and I think that is at the heart of Hawks displeasure with this set. Some will say its the Niki, but I dont think that is the sole reason.

I can understand that, but I dont know what we could do to fix it.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Task Groups
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 11:08:15 AM »
Originally posted by Grits
Some will say its the Niki, but I dont think that is the sole reason.

On my rare opportunities to fly the American side, I've noted that virtually all the Japanese flyers are in Niks.  I'm surprised at you guys.  The Tony is a really nice plane, and much more evenly matched with the blue birds.  Where's your sense of adventure?

- oldman

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Task Groups
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 11:11:49 AM »
After the first night I have not flown the Niki, I have flown the Ki-61 exclusively except when upping from a capped field, in which case I'll take the Zeke.

Offline afool

• Zinc Member
Re: Re: Task Groups
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 02:02:19 PM »
Originally posted by Löwe
Guys it's The Battle of Okinawa The IJN is not supposed to have an equal number of ships. Just like in the early Solomon setups the USN has fewer ships. If I remember right the IJN only sortied one TF during the battle built around the battleship Yamato. It's job was to try and beach it'self near the invasion beaches and shell the Americans.  It didnt make it. By this time of the war the IJN was nearly out of capital ships.

Umm... didn't I say "I'm not quite sure if it's historical, but it would be nice. "  didn't mean to cause trouble, was just agreeing with Truekill that it would be nice.

a(simple)fool

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Task Groups
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 03:37:22 PM »
This is the trouble with taking what is essentially a Scenario design and making it a CT setup. The seams do show sometimes. Problems like this are common, as it wasnt designed to be a free for all arena setup.

Thats not to say its not a worthy CT setup, but one should be mindfull of some of the pitfalls.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Task Groups
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 05:12:43 PM »
Well hell .... just design a generic terrain for each setting and be done with it.

Pacific

Western Euro

Eastern Euro

Med

Africa

Design them to be "perfectly even." (Both sides get exactly the same number of fleets, bases,ports, spawnpoints, strat, ack, aaa.)

Give the bombers enough room to up from rear fields to bomb strat and base their planes there. Give the fighters enough bases forward to always have a fight handy. Give the spawn points enough room from each other so they don't basically "spawn and camp" or "spawn and capture." Have the fleets spawn in "neutral locations" (NOT right next to a base or port anywhere).

All settings left "CT standard."

Then let the planeset define the time period.

But I'll tell ya something. It's nice to have an historically accurate map to immerse in.

Lastly but not leastly .... BEER. :D

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
Task Groups
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 03:10:56 AM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
On my rare opportunities to fly the American side, I've noted that virtually all the Japanese flyers are in Niks.  I'm surprised at you guys.  The Tony is a really nice plane, and much more evenly matched with the blue birds.  Where's your sense of adventure?

- oldman

Your "Sense of Adventure" wears pretty thin after the first 30 min. of chaseing Corsair pilots around that won't engage unless they have the advantage. You want the fastest plane out there.
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Task Groups
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2004, 12:43:59 PM »
Originally posted by Jester
Your "Sense of Adventure" wears pretty thin after the first 30 min. of chaseing Corsair pilots around that won't engage unless they have the advantage. You want the fastest plane out there.

Neh. All IJ pilots have been getting their birds (any model) to the stratosphere with ease, "Mr. My Sense of Adventure is Being Snuffed Out by the Other Player's Overly Cautious Tactics." You grab ... I'll grab. Even if it takes me longer and I gotta take a drop tank. Even if I gotta wait until my opponent's A.D.D. kicks in. Even I lose connection during the 45 minutes of positioning and hafta log back on to start all over. :D

Man ... I'm gonna miss this setup when it disappears for six months. ;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 12:51:53 PM by Arlo »

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Task Groups
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2004, 01:07:39 PM »
The Ki-61 is certainly capable of fighting the US types, its better than the A6M5, and very close (I find) to the capabilities of a N1K2. Like all the a/c it takes some getting used to, but if they fight as a team they can be deadly.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
Task Groups
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2004, 01:48:11 PM »
Neither the a6m5 nor ki-61 accelerate fast enough to close for the kill at the brief moment right before the f4u decides to run...

The a6m5 can play angles all day and is quite effective but the blue pilot can just nose down and walk away.

The ki-61 can close fast in a dive and turns well enough to cut off a break and get a kill. At co alt merge however it lacks the climb to out zoom and it lacks the acceleration out of a turn to close for the kill.

Nikis can accelerate very well out of a turn; it climbs well, dives well and has a better ammo load.

Typical blue plane merge is “go for the HO”, and a choice between a split esse and run for home/ack or a flat extension covering at least a sector.

Therefore as long as folks run, there will be a need nikis in most Pac set ups...

Offline afool

• Zinc Member
Task Groups
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2004, 02:04:49 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Neh. All IJ pilots have been getting their birds (any model) to the stratosphere with ease, "Mr. My Sense of Adventure is Being Snuffed Out by the Other Player's Overly Cautious Tactics." You grab ... I'll grab. Even if it takes me longer and I gotta take a drop tank. Even if I gotta wait until my opponent's A.D.D. kicks in. Even I lose connection during the 45 minutes of positioning and hafta log back on to start all over. :D

Man ... I'm gonna miss this setup when it disappears for six months. ;)

I've only been back a couple of dazes. But I'm finding the fights to be in the CV ack umbrella. So it's either die a death of many pings or stay under 3K. No need to fly to the stratosphere.

afool