Author Topic: US WWII Aircraft Carrier Production  (Read 647 times)

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
US WWII Aircraft Carrier Production
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2004, 05:49:43 PM »
"The T-34 was by far the best tank design in world war 2. In addition to having an excellent combination of firepower, armor, mobility, and shape, its superb technical design, which emphasized simplicity and durability, made it possible to mass produce it in enormous numbers, and gave it very high field and combat reliability, two critical attributes which the advanced german tanks lacked. It was the main war winning weapon of Russia in world war 2. "
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2004, 10:51:17 PM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
its superb technical design, which emphasized simplicity and durability, made it possible to mass produce it in enormous numbers

Notes:

1. No need for complex manufacturing devices
2. No need for experienced workers due simplicity
3. No need for high quality items

Conclusion:

1. Simplified and high quality designs are two different things
2. As obvious, T-34 was stripped off of everything unnecessary
3. Low quality equiptment in comparison to germans, for example.
4. 1-on-1 basis T-34 was far more simplier in comparison to equal tonnage and armed western tanks, which for example had higher quality sights, more comfortable for crew to operate in.. etc.

Go find something of russians comparing russian tanks to western tanks and you'll find the quality comparisons which affects manufacturing times.

What comes to T-34 when compared to some equal western tank, you'll find out it has weaker cannon, weaker sights, weaker situational awarness, cramped crew compartment...
What it had better than other tanks, was simple design for mass production, speed, reliability under extreme conditions, wide tracks...
Could also mention early design and it was put against inferior german tanks and anti-tank guns of the time. (thanks to Hitler not beginning to produce more powerful tanks and guns in early, but only after it had to be done.. capability existed though)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 10:56:59 PM by Fishu »

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2004, 10:56:14 PM »
"The T-34 was by far the best tank design in world war 2. In addition to having an excellent combination of firepower, armor, mobility, and shape, its superb technical design, which emphasized simplicity and durability, made it possible to mass produce it in enormous numbers, and gave it very high field and combat reliability, two critical attributes which the advanced german tanks lacked. It was the main war winning weapon of Russia in world war 2. "

Yea but can it one ping kill a tiger in AH??????

That's the ultimate test!

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2004, 11:24:32 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz
The German tank ace Michael Weissmann supposedly said "One Tiger is a match for ten T-34s ... the problem is there's always twelve of them."

Well, if he had 1.2 Tigers, he would've been ok.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2004, 11:35:21 PM »
Originally posted by Fishu
3. Low quality equiptment in comparison to germans, for example.

"The germans so appreciated the performance of the T-34 that when the german military discussed the development of their next tank, the Panther, one of the suggested designs was simply a german copy of the T-34."

A weaker cannon? The 76mm had a long barrel and high muzzle velocity, it was very well armed. Also, it's diesel engine did not catch fire as quickly as a gas engine. You talk about quality, well, the fact is the T-34 was much more reliable on the battlefield than it's German counterparts. The T-34 was the best medium tank of the war, nothing came close.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2004, 11:59:06 PM »
We're not going to segue into a P-38 discussion are we????
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2004, 03:00:38 AM »
"The germans so appreciated the performance of the T-34 that when the german military discussed the development of their next tank, the Panther, one of the suggested designs was simply a german copy of the T-34."

Differences to basic german tanks:

1. fast
2. good offroad performance due to wide tracks (with the exception of Panther and Tiger, Panzers had alot narrower tracks than T-34)
3. sloped armour (Panther and Tiger II are the only widely used panzers with well sloped armour)

Weaker cannon? The 76mm had a long barrel and high muzzle velocity, it was very well armed. Also, it's diesel engine did not catch fire as quickly as a gas engine. You talk about quality, well, the fact is the T-34 was much more reliable on the battlefield than it's German counterparts. The T-34 was the best medium tank of the war, nothing came close.

First of all 76mm on T-34 was not long nor did it have high velocity, when compares to many other guns.

Early T-34's had 76.2mm L/30.5 L-11 cannon and later upped to 76.2mm L/41.5 (thats for the 76mm versions)
With muzzle velocities of 612m/s and 662m/s
You could already get a close match with with a german 50mm L/60 KwK 39
German high velocity 75mm guns had velocity of about 800m/s

Panther had even higher velocity 75mm, but that was later, same time with 85mm T-34.
Although Panther had still superior gun to 85mm T-34.
There was also difference in accuracy, in favor of Panther.

Optics were a whole another issue, thats where germans had a clear advantage without a doubt.

T-34's also lacked cupola for many years.

Another big difference was in communications equiptment.

From these things alone, you can find many things which makes production of T-34 faster and easier than the german counterparts.
Although survivability is also clearly obvious.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 03:04:08 AM by Fishu »

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2004, 09:39:16 AM »
Originally posted by Fishu
Although survivability is also clearly obvious.

If your tank breaks down in the middle of a battle, yes, it is clearly obvious

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2004, 12:55:48 PM »
I saw that History Channel show as well.

I was aboard the USS America, CV66 in the early 80's, with VS-32.

I work the flight deck first as a plane captain, then as a PP troubleshooter, and finally as a Final Checker, but it sure didn't seem as dangerous to me as watching those guys duck in and around all those props, especially crammed together like they were.

And the landings... jeesh! no angled deck, hadda been frightening as hell to be up there waiting for your assigned plane to land so you could chock it and tie it down. And I don't even wanna think about what landing on one of those musta been like.

As for production, it's my thinking that once Americans are pissed off like after Pearl Harbor or 9/11, they pull together to get the job done.

Of course it's a different world today than 1941, we wouldn't need to build as many planes and ships, but we'd sure be building alot more cruise missiles, and JLAMs.

After all, weapons today don't need to saturate an area to insure the target is destroyed.