Author Topic: Uber Tigers  (Read 574 times)

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
Uber Tigers
« on: May 25, 2004, 09:04:23 AM »
Maybe it is just me, but has anyone else noticed how tough the Tigers are in AH2?  I mean, I know they are tough in AH, but they are supermanish in AH2.

Case in point:  last night I was flying out of A1.  There were some GVs (Tigers) trying to hit the field.  The first Tiger I put 1000lbs of bombs on and about 6 rockets, but that had no effect.  He wasn't smoking, his turret wasn't out, no effect at all from what I could see.

The second Tiger I hit I put 2500 lbs of bombs on and at least 8 of my 10 rockets.  No effect.  No smoke, no tracks taken out, turret still working, etc.

What made this all more insulting was that these Tigers shot down at least 4 aircraft with their pintle gun...on the first pass.  I mean, not like after several runs where they had been hitting the aircraft over and over, but on a single pass.  I was shotdown once and shotup so badly on a different flight I had to RTB.

By the way, I was flying a P-47D-30 so it is a little surprising that I would take that much damage from a pintle during my brief exposure to it.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has seen this or has any suggestions concerning it.  I have never seen a Tiger be this tough in AH.

By the way: maybe it is possible that 2500 + lbs or ordinance would not effect a Tiger, but how in the world would the crew still be able to function after that?  Go figure...
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Uber Tigers
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 10:02:54 AM »
At least your rockets didn't bounce off.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Uber Tigers
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 10:08:28 AM »
By the way: maybe it is possible that 2500 + lbs or ordinance would not effect a Tiger, but how in the world would the crew still be able to function after that? Go figure...

LOL good point Blam

Wouldnt it be cool if dropping eggs on GVs, if they didnt die they were temporaily out of commision for a moment. Sort of like a flash bang and the affects it has in a FPS game.

I am hopeful that the tiger wont be what its like in Ah1. I haven't had the chance to play with it and get shot at yet. Right now in Ah1, a 202 can pop my turret with a few straffes:mad:
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
Uber Tigers
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 11:10:22 AM »
Originally posted by BenDover
At least your rockets didn't bounce off.

I did see one of those last night!  Thought I was imagining things.  That is one of the funniest things I seen.  A rocket, with a contact fuze "bouncing" off of a Tiger...lol.
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline 6GunUSMC

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.fasteasynet.com
Uber Tigers
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 12:10:26 PM »
It seems crazy to me that any vehicle can sustain a direct hit from even a 250 pound bomb considering the force of the energy of the weight and speed of the bomb combined with the explosion.  Certainly near hits or 2,500 pounds should kill the crew from concussion alone.  Any survivors of such a blast would be left in such a condition that everyone would be giving them coloring books for Christmas presents from now on.

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
Uber Tigers
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 01:01:17 PM »
Ever see the size crater a 1K bomb makes? A near explosion from one of those bombs should be enough to tear any vehicle apart and/or flip it upside down.

Look at the modern tanks in Iraq that were taken out by a single RPG on there treck into Baghdad. I think its laughable that a tiger can take so much punishment and still survive. I havent played vehicles enough in AH2 to know what the new model is like. I just hope its better.

Kev AKA RHIN0

Great Job on the new game all around much better sim>>>>now to get that new PC.
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Uber Tigers
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 01:29:53 PM »
OTOH I've scored 2 kills on AH2 Tigers with the 37mm AA gun.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Uber Tigers
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 02:03:49 PM »
I've always wondered about iron bombs in AH although Pyro did say it's modelled correctly in AH2. It's not done realistic, but it's not terrible either.

2500kg would not only flip a Tiger over like a dinky - maybe even toss it 50-100 feet, the compression from the close explosion would pulverise and kill the tank crew.  Even best case is that it rolls into the large 20 foot hole next to it.  For example, a P-51 dive-bombing at 400mph releasing two-thousand pound irons should have a 100 foot kill zone for armour.

It's obvious ship shells and irons are not done well in AH2, but it's a lot better than WWIIOL and FB where things just explode - here they can take damage.  Besides, it's really hard to do well in a sim without complicating the effects.  

Dropping a huge bomb next to a tank however should at least cause it to roll over from the explosion.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 02:17:51 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline MadSquirrel

• Copper Member
Uber Tigers
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 11:06:41 PM »
As a GVer, I have notice that the Tiger is LESS impervious to fire in AHII than in AH.  
You need to remember that the Tiger is it's strongest on top.  The Turret has 100mm of armor to penetrate.  But when you consider that ripping a P-51 or any other WWII aircraft made from aluminum apart with .50 cal. ammo and you won't even dent the wings, I think that the Tiger isn't to bad.  
Pilots complain about how hard it is to kill GVs, and GVers complain about how planes with no wings can still drop bombs, or have thier GV turrets knocked out with a few well placed .303 rounds.
There are pros and cons to both sides.  But from my prospective both on the sending and receiving end of the Tigers and Panzers, I like the modeling in AHII.

LTARsqrl   :aok

Offline JustJim

• Nickel Member
Uber Tigers
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 10:10:53 AM »
Tigers still seem the same to me, kinda sucks when you now drive for 20 minutes and another tiger 1 ping sends you past go do not collect 200 dollars.

Or for that fact some yahoo just drops enough ord to level russia  from some rediculas angle within 500ft and has only traveled 20 seconds and boom back to tower.

I have an idea how about they use the old clutter on and off control,  so when you fly by you just hit that and the closest gv just explodes.

would that would make it easier for you?

Offline 6GunUSMC

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.fasteasynet.com
Uber Tigers
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2004, 05:20:31 PM »
Any new observations on this?

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Uber Tigers
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2004, 05:38:30 PM »
I bombed and rocketed many tigers in AHII. not one showed any kind of damage and they were all finally killed by other GV. and I remember at least 6 cases (they were respawning and coming back again).
I don't expect mg or light cannons to have any effect but several 500lb bombs and rockets?

The P47 clearly has a bug. almost any shot hits the main fuel tank and the plane explodes a few sec later. tigers and panzers were blasting P47s out of the skies as if they had 37mm cannon for a pintle gun. I tried the mossie and it took normal damage.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs