Author Topic: Hard Disk Not Found!  (Read 310 times)

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Hard Disk Not Found!
« on: May 31, 2004, 05:12:07 PM »
Ok, well a while back I was having some problems with my system. Things just weren't loading up right or taking forever blah blah blah. It just wasn't the system it was a month prior.

One night, after playing AH I logged off and decided to do some work off line. I loaded up my program, which I think was photoshop (doesnt really matter tho).

Waiting for about 5 minutes for it to load nothing happened. It wouldnt close, I was stuck, my system was stuck...grrr.

With little left to do, I pushed the power button and held it in until it turned off. (that was after waiting over 10 minutes!:eek: )

When I turned it back on I was welcomed with this message.

Hard Disk not found.

TO make a long storty short, we tried to get the system to boot from the HD and nothing. No amount of effort put into fixing it would help.

I ended up getting a new HD and lost over 38 gigs of dataI had saved. (Some was backed up but not all of it)

NOW FOR THE IMPORTANT QUESTION.

Is there anything that can be done to retrieve that lost data? Its not lost really, its there but unable to be accessed.

Basicly, Help if you can. Please.

Any ideas?

I have read about data recov. companies but thats just WAY too expensive. If I have to go this rout I will but I really dont want to.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Hard Disk Not Found!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 05:17:11 PM »
I feel you pain.... similar happened to me about a month or so ago.... everything gone from the last 5-6 years of AW and AH (transferred from previous systems over time).  :(  My son tried to recover what he could, but didn't get much.  I really hope you are more successful.
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Hard Disk Not Found!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 05:27:05 PM »
Was it an HD failure Flo or was it data loss?

If it was a failure, did you get a new HD? And if you got a new HD how was he able to recover data from the old HD?

Offline 2Hawks

• Nickel Member
      • http://daniel.clanbaker.com
Yes Actually...
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 05:34:53 PM »
Morph, there are services that can take the drive into a cleanroom and physicall remove the platen and read the raw data and give you a copy.

If there is pirated or illegal material on it there are obligated to inform the police.

Not that there is but there is no %100 assurance of privacy.

Dan.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Hard Disk Not Found!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 05:40:48 PM »
Is there a company you recomend?

Also, do you know how much this might cost?

I was doing some research on this and its upwards of a 1000+ dollars from some places. Others wouldnt even give you a quote.

Offline 2Hawks

• Nickel Member
      • http://daniel.clanbaker.com
There is no particular company...
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2004, 06:15:21 PM »
There is no particular company that I would recommend. But it will be very expensive. Usually reserved for for budgets like law enforcement and large corporations wishing to recover mission-critical data.

First question I used to ask ppl bringing their comps to the shop; "Do you have a backup?".

What you could do, and I have done in the past, is find an identical drive, and swap pcb boards. (The controller on the drive itself) It's a cheap quick fix, and works 90% of the time if you get a drive from a similar time frame.  (about a year or so).

Sorry you had such bad luck lately. On a positive note, You have files waiting for you in the muppets forums.

Dan

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Hard Disk Not Found!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 07:05:26 PM »
Morph your looking a 500 bucks minumum and prolly a bunch more to recover your old hard drive. ( I lost one a couple of months back )

Have you tried installing it in your box as the second hard drive ?? "If" it's still viable your new drive will see it and add it in with the rest of your drives as drive F or G etc.

Let me know if this works, a network guy at work gave that as an option.

Let me know if that works..
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Hard Disk Not Found!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 07:12:03 PM »
It wont spool up at all Nopoop. I would have tried to do this but seeing as it can't even read the data on the disk I figured something like that wouldnt be an option. Or am I wrong? I like being wrong in cases like this though.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Hard Disk Not Found!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 08:05:40 PM »
Originally posted by MoRphEuS
Was it an HD failure Flo or was it data loss?

If it was a failure, did you get a new HD? And if you got a new HD how was he able to recover data from the old HD?
It was HD failure, Morpheus and yes I ended up getting a new (bigger!  :)) hard disk.  My son managed to recover some data from my old hard disk, but I lost most of it.  Fortunately I had just backed up a lot of my photos and screenshots onto CD just days before it happened.
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun