Author Topic: A request for when the new 1042 game skins come out  (Read 602 times)

Online nopoop

• Gold Member
A request for when the new 1042 game skins come out
« on: June 13, 2004, 04:01:14 PM »
I doubt the original skins when first made were ever intended for players to use to make there own. It evolved to that and with that comes all the short comings of ease of use.

I'm going through that now because of choice. I HATE ponies :D

I imagine the new skins will have visable interior gear compartment skins so when the gear are down you can see inside.

The whole thing will come down to ease of use. A few things would greatly encourage skin creations by the players. With the right tools the skins that could be made would be staggering.

First is a good intuitive layout. This is an IL-2 skin layout. It's done with one 1024 canvas. The way it's setup is sweet.

Second would be a basic panel line PSD available for download. It wouldn't even have to be a PSD. A 1 to 1 jpg on a white background would be enough. Nothing fancy, but accurate. I've spent HOURS trying to get panel lines MATCH control surface pivot points. With a basic panel line templet, all those hours could be productive.

Third, a viewer.  Put your skin in and you'd be able to rotate it at all angles without having to go ingame, takeoff, get some altitude to check your work......over and over and over again.

With those additions, more would give it a go. What's produced wouldn't be restricted to those with the gumption to work through the hoops to get to where they want to be.

I spent all morning adjusting, going ingame, taking off, changing the time of day, leveling to get some speed and then rolling the A/C so I could work out the "fudge" on the D25 insignia on the lower wing. Maybe twenty times.  I'm still not done, I need to find where the fudge is on the templet so I can add panel lines and rivits.

I wanna fly this one now so I be doing the hoop jumping. But new skins have the opportunity to make the interface SO much easier.

It would be a great benifit to the game.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 04:42:00 PM »
Our texture format will be a lot different for the new planes we do and as we redo old models(not just upgrade the texture resolution).  We do want to make it better for you guys who skin, but part of that process will include rendering your past work obsolete as we go.  But it is going to be a long process and we should be able to work it out in a way that suits us all.

Offline SELECTOR

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 04:49:14 PM »
good to hear pyro..

Online nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 07:23:48 PM »
Great news Pyro, made my day.

It's gonna be fun !!
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 11:35:51 PM »
RENDER IT OBSOLETE!
RENDER IT OBSOLETE!
RENDER IT OBSOLETE!
RENDER IT OBSOLETE!
RENDER IT OBSOLETE!

That way they get better and better, and the planes look better and better, and it doesnt cost you a dime, and I get to see the best looking aircraft in AH and and and and and...

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 12:18:14 AM »
We don't mind it being rendered useless :)

But what we would really like, is a general 'schedule' for which planes would be done when.. or at least, a plan or a sequence in which plane would be the next to receive 3D model upgrades.

Like for instance, if the F4U is the next "on schedule", then it'd be clearly a waste to skin that one as the submitted skins would be used for maybe only a few weeks, or a month or two. It'd definately be better to create skins that'd be of use for at least 6~7 months, before its obsolete.

Soooo..

After AH2 settles down and stabilizes, which planes are planned to receive upgrades in the short term?

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 12:07:45 PM »
bump
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC