Author Topic: Who we gonna lose to AH2?  (Read 3929 times)

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Who we gonna lose to AH2?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2004, 09:06:58 AM »
Beetle, don't know where you got the idea that TOD was going to be released in AH1.  It was always to be part of AH2 and always after we had settled in the new graphics engine.
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2004, 09:31:08 AM »
Originally posted by SUPERFLY
Beetle, don't know where you got the idea that TOD was going to be released in AH1.  It was always to be part of AH2 and always after we had settled in the new graphics engine.

I believe he's drawing a comparrison between ToD and the "mission theater" concept that was discussed in this post:
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59890

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2004, 09:33:01 AM »
Originally posted by SUPERFLY

Our buddy Beet1e has a bad habit of EMBELLSHING when trying to make a point ... :D

Beet .. you have to know/realise that HT is the core programmer and he can only do so much in a certain timeframe. He had to re-write both the graphics and FM engine to create a foundation that will allow them to bring AH forward and beyond.

TOD is nothing more than a bolt-on to what he just built.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2004, 09:46:13 AM »
Just buck up and upgrade...it doesnt cost too much to replace the video card you have used for the past 3 years. You've got your money out of it Im sure!

The game(AH2) looks tons better than when I played AH1 last summer.  No one likes changes..but this is for the better!

Besides...what other options do you have where you can find such a good mix of graphics, gameplay, and community in one setting?

~AoM~

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2004, 11:00:20 AM »
sikboy - thanks for posting the link.

Superfly -
Beetle, don't know where you got the idea that TOD was going to be released in AH1. It was always to be part of AH2 and always after we had settled in the new graphics engine.
sikboy beat me to it. I got the news directly from hitech:
Originally posted by Hitech on 24th July 2002

We’re still working on some issues with 1.10. We’ve also begun work on 1.11 and that’s what this overdue news is about. Throughout our version history, we’ve looked to set new precedents with the features we developed and 1.11 is no different. With 1.11, our goal is to add an entirely new gameplay structure to Aces High to complement our existing formats. This will be done with a separate arena using an entirely different format.

This new arena is completely mission based, using historical setups and mission objective scoring including pilot careers with ranks and medals. This is not an open format where a player can choose what, when, and where he flies. Every flight that goes up is part of a scheduled mission. Missions will begin on scheduled regular intervals, such as 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, etc., so it won’t be like the main arena where you can just hop in and fly a few quick sorties.

I've done a Toad red ink job just to emphasise the fact that we WERE told that TOD was going to be part of 1.11, and was not dependent on any new graphics engine.

So, Slapshot - what was that you were saying about embellishments??? :lol

Lazs -
You are the one who said the gameplay would be different with the new gunnery and FM..
I said no such thing. I said the pattern of gameplay might be different, because quite a few of the old gamey AH1 tricks are not going to work. For example, manoeuvering of a plane while the pilot is blacked out, N1K helicopter vertical 800yd spray shots and the like.

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2004, 11:04:04 AM »
I cancelled my account several months ago. I'll resubscribe to AHII when I get a new computer, and my budget gets back on track. To date, I've not even been able to try out the BETA AHII, so I'm really chompin at th bit.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2004, 11:16:30 AM »
Originally posted by 68DevilM
ie. where the hell is the vh?
A lot smaller and less obvious than it used to be!  :D  See the Field Maps for locations..... look carefully.  ;)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2004, 11:25:00 AM »
Here's something different, I'm coming back because of AHII.

I haven't flown in a long time because the old engine just didn't do it for me anymore and just wasn't fun.  I'm looking forward to the increased realism in AHII, and the enhancements to the ground look great, especially for a flight sim.

Complaining about how you think everyone will leave en masse because AHII won't run on a 6 year old machine that can barely read e-mail is awful silly.  I encourage y'all to try and install the other current games on those machines, and you'll quickly find that HTC has been stellar in holding up the tail-end of the convoy for you guys for much longer then anyone else.

It's time to take ol' Bessy behind the shed and turn that bitter old milk cow into hamburger, AHII is gonna be great steak sauce.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2004, 12:17:17 PM »
I was going to post something well thought out and incredibly insightful.  Then I realized that it wasn't worth the time.

Stay or leave, rip on AH2, drool over AH2.  It doesn't matter.  It is coming, and no amount of *****ing, whining, cheering or flag waving is going to change that or accelerate it.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2004, 12:20:22 PM »
LOL Math how true hehehe.

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2004, 12:53:23 PM »
I don't know, flew last nite and it was good and bad. I experienced some pretty bad stuttering at low levels near bases with just a couple of planes in the air around me.

Over open ocean with a few others it was okay.

I'll just have to wait and see how it runs in normal gameplay. If the old cpu won't cut it, then it will be drop out time until I upgrade someday.

Offline Box1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2004, 01:37:02 PM »
I'll be there......with a frown on my face

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2004, 01:49:53 PM »
Keeping AH1 and AH2 running concurrently would ...

A) Divide the player base.
B) Almost certainly make the time HTC invested in AH2 development wasted.
C) Cost HTC about twice as much in overheard for servers, support staff, and internet connectivity providers.

In short, from a business standpoint unless keeping both running concurrently meant an immediate doubling in either the number of subscribers or the fee the existing subscribers pay, it would be financial suicide.

From another perpective, AH and especially AH2 represents the pinnacle of multiplayer interactive gaming today, and especially simulation gaming. This is not a hobby for people on welfare or fixed incomes. Between the video cards, controllers, fast connections, and CPU/memory requirements it's a sport for those willing to keep on the cutting edge or close to it. If ponying up a few hundred bucks every 3 or 4 years to keep your computer in-line with mid-range computers out today or purchasing one is prohibitively expensive, massively multiplayer online flight combat simulators are probably not the best hobby for you.

The only other alternative HTC or any other game developer of this genre would have is unacceptable. What the people who advocate keeping AH1 going really want, given the business/financial realities for HTC/developers, is for the developers to condescend to the lowest common denominator of the player base. This would have the effect of dumbing down technology and enhancements, slowing development of new engines and concepts, and basically throw the software development industry into a state of status quo where things would never improve or do so only at an intolerably slow rate. I'm sorry folks but this is not how the technology industry works, it's a fast and furious business where the dollars go to the most creative, innovative, and leading edge provider of goods and services.

Zazen
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 02:17:42 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2004, 02:18:55 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
Keeping AH1 and AH2 running concurrently would ...

A) Divide the player base
B) Almost certainly make the time HiTech invested in AH2 devlopement wasted
C) Cost HTC about twice as much in overheard for servers, support staff, and internet connectivity providers.

In short, from a business standpoint unless keeping both running concurrently meant an immediate doubling in either the number of subscribers or the fee the existing subscribers pay, it would be financial suicide.

From another perpective, AH and especially AH2 represents the pinnacle of multiplayer interactive gaming today, and especially simulation gaming. This is not a hobby for people on welfare or fixed incomes. Between the video cards, controllers, fast connections, and CPU/memory requirements it's a sport for those willing to keep on the cutting edge or close to it. If ponying up a few hundred bucks every 3 or 4 years to keep your computer inline with mid-range computers out today or purchasing one is prohibitively expensive, massively multiplayer online flight combat simulators are probably not the best hobby for you.

Zazen

Oh yeah, there's no question AH1's gotta go.

This is a fun game no doubt. I hope it's gonna work out for me with the current system for a while, cause after upkeep on the sandrail, jetboat, jeep, new gizmos for the r6, stuff for the Winnebago, the 3 or 4 trips to the river, the 4 or 5 trips to the desert, skiing/snowboarding expenses, the overall expense of just living in Southern California, beer drinking, bbq'n, watching all the hot chickies expenses, Lakers, Angels, Kings, Ducks, NASCAR Cali Speedway tickets, plus a concert or two, I really don't want to plunk down a bunch a money into the cpu to play a game. Jeesuz, I gotta start cutting back. I forgot Laguna Seca, throw that in there too.

Offline maik

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301.de
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2004, 02:27:21 PM »
aah.... never mind.

regards
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 02:30:49 PM by maik »