Author Topic: Gunsite Editing, how to change color?  (Read 353 times)

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Gunsite Editing, how to change color?
« on: January 05, 2000, 02:24:00 PM »
Ok, so how do I change the color of my gunsight?

I know how to change the shape and amount of my gunsight, thats quite easy in Photoshop.

But the standard gunsight only has two possible colors, green and the "opaque" purple.

If I change the bmp format so that I can get a different color, for instance a bright orange yellow, the AH FE no longer accepts the purple as opaque.

Whats the trick here? I hate the green since it is hard for me to see it in many situations. Just like Froggie Icons over in Warbirds.

------------------
Vermillion
WB's: (verm--), **MOL**, Men of Leisure,
"Real men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires ;) "

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2000, 02:35:00 PM »
Do like I did, and open it up in MS paint and change it in there. Save it as the same file and wala!

Offline Azrael

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2000, 02:38:00 PM »
The purple color is the background colour (invisble). You just cant change it. Since you are using photoshop make sure that you edit and save this file as a bitmap file - I think photoshop per default uses vector graphics files. The best approach would be to edit the palette of the bmp image, change the green to the desired colour. If you still have problems with your gunsight send the (desired) bitmap file to me and i'll have a look at it.

Az

------------------
Azrael
 Red Dragons

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2000, 03:35:00 PM »
I was able to use the Paint program to create a red gunsite, instead of green, so I know other colors can be used.
(Unfortunately my gunnery is still terrible even with the cool looking gunsight.   )

dotsie

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2000, 03:40:00 PM »
Does anyone know how to, or the whereabouts of a program to edit the colour pallete of a bitmap. The only app i have at the mo is Corel Photo House, but this doesnt allow pallete editing.

Dotsie.

nabe

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2000, 04:06:00 PM »
I used Paint Shop Pro(Trial version) to change color palette.

http://www.jasc.com

If you use Windows paintbrush, background transparent color is white. You can use another color to paint cross hair.

[This message has been edited by nabe (edited 01-06-2000).]

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2000, 04:20:00 PM »
I understand that the purple is the "invisible" color  

I also know how to change palettes and make sure it is saved as a bmp file, thats not the problem.

The problem is that for gunsite files the color palette is an indexed color palette bmp, meaning it ONLY has the colors green and purple. You can't change the colors without changing to a RGB mode bmp file, and once you do that the FE no longer accepts the purple as the "invisible" color.

I also tried MS Paint, and even when I pick a color other than green, when it draws, it draws green anyways, I suspect for the same reason as above.

------------------
Vermillion
WB's: (verm--), **MOL**, Men of Leisure,
"Real men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires ;) "

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2000, 06:01:00 PM »
hmmmm, ok I know I aint no 'puter boy, but all this talk of pallettes is making me wonder. Vermillon, what are you trying to do? Are you trying to edit the "crosshairs" of the gun site? All you have to do is go into MS Paint, open the gunnsite file and make whatever shape and color crosshair you want. I changed mine to black.

Forgive me if I've misunderstood what your problem is.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2000, 06:39:00 PM »
I had the same problem as Verm... and I fussed with it *alot*. Could only get the FE to accept green and black.

nabe

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2000, 07:26:00 AM »
Umm,my English is too bad. I wish I can explain it well...

Purple is *NOT ALWAYS* invisible color.

Invisible color is the color palatte No.255.
In the Windows default bmp, color No.255 is white. So you can use 255 color except white.

Following is the easyest way to make mulch-colored Gunsight. Start Windows paintbrush, changes the canvas size appropriately(i.e. 16x16 or 32x32). Paint canvas background white.@And then,paint cross hair as you think without using white. Save it into *256* colored bmp file.

For example.
         Click to download
It is painted on windows paintbrush.
I never use this gunsight. It's just a sample  

nabe

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2000, 07:29:00 AM »
Umm,I may misunderstand your question...

AH default.bmp file *ONLY* have 3 colors.
The one is green for color No.1, the 2nd is purple for color No.255, and all of other color No. is set black.

But PSP(Paint Shop Pro) can edit color palatte. So, after opening the bmp file, I load RGB color palatte and repaint the background into the color what is now color No.255. Purple is no longer an invisible color. If you are using Windows RGB color palatte, new invisible color is white.

Offline v355_Spike

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2000, 09:36:00 AM »
Dunno nuthin about paint. Gonna start playen with it. I have figgered out how to change the shape of the gunsites in the game, using the ones supplied in the gunsites folder.

The first thing I want to do is make the sight a bit bigger. How do I do this, thoughts?

------------------
SgtSpike
v355 Fighter Group
Steeple Morden Strafers