Author Topic: Building a New System from Scratch, What Vid card...  (Read 310 times)

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
Building a New System from Scratch, What Vid card...
« on: June 08, 2004, 11:06:45 AM »
I am going to build a New system from Scratch and I will be using a P4 with HT Technoligy and was woundering If Nivida was indead the way to go for the Video card.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 11:14:14 AM »
I've had great luck with the nVidia cards.  

I know a lot of folks love their ATIs...but I just had too many in the past that were complete pains in the arse with driver issues.  I went to 3DFX cards until they sold out to nVidia.

Skuzzy loves the ATI cards, he can chime in their good points.

Good luck!

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 11:47:06 AM »
I've asked some questions about this..

..and the answer I got from my friends, was that the NVidia GeForce FX5900, is the most cost-efficient to buy and prepare for the next 3~5 years of computer use.

My GeForce4 MX440 is starting to show age, and it can barely keep up with IL2:FB/AEP. I'm thinking to change to the FX5900 too.

Offline Grayarea

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 12:10:14 PM »
I have been building my own systems for the last decade, and I don't believe there is a "correct" card.

ATM the ATI x800 is the best. Nvivia will no doubt produce somthing to beat it any day ;)

I have used Nvidia, ATI and 3DFX. Of the two currently available manufacturers I have not found anything to pick and choose between them, they both produce good high quality cards.

So my advice is to buy the card that best fits your requirments.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 08:44:06 PM »
Performance wise I have found.....

After using Nvidia up until about 5 months ago....ATI performs much better .  That is a fact at this moment.

If you wish to use FSAA with the Nvidia cards your FR will drop drastically.  That is if you only enable it 2X.

I replaced my NVidia Ti4600 GF4 with a 9800 Pro.

I'm now using 6X FSAA with no penalty at all in FR.  Graphics are much sharper.  My FR with the Ti4600 and 2X FSAA FR dropped from 85 to 36 in flight.  Holding 85 FR with 6X FSAA with the 9800 Pro in flight.  In Tower low 70s' and on the runway.

You can also use anisotropic filtering with the 9800 set at 16X, with no penalty whatsoever in FR.

Both cards have the same features basically.....but you can't use them on the NVidia Cards without suffering FR loss.
- The Flying Circus -