Author Topic: Rudder controls while taxiing/takeoff  (Read 2350 times)

Offline FBScud

• Copper Member
Rudder controls while taxiing/takeoff
« on: June 09, 2004, 05:30:04 AM »
I have CH Pro USB rudder pedals, stick and throttle.  On take off, any rudder correction at all induces pretty wild swings so that I now have to use auto takeoff.  I've set the dead bands and dampening on the toe brakes fairly high so I'm not mistakenly applying the brakes.  I've recalibrated in windows and AHII.  In flight all seems ok which is why I suspected the toe brakes.  Landing does not seem so bad, but I've had to lay off the rudder a lot.

Is this a bug or do I have a problem here?

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 06:57:55 AM »
I disabled toe brakes on my CH Rudders for this very reason. Just use spacebar for braking on landing.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 07:37:47 AM »
Hmmmm....

Well now someone posted this....

I too see a huge difference in the rudder inputs for takeoff.  Even if I seem to get it "right" the plane can swing wildly left and right...doing the old "sidewinder" strut across the field.

Using MS FF2 joystick...NO pedals.

Perhaps its meant to be this way???

Regards

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 07:57:33 AM »
adjust your yaw sliders until you find the fitting that best fit.

I have the same set up with sliders @ max and have np on take off / landings.

There is a difference between AH1 and AH2 but I have no real issues except at in low speed fights. I need to take it easy on rudder or else I end up inverted.

I don't what the toe brakes have to do with it mine work just like AH 1.

Offline Paxil

• Copper Member
      • http://marathontoathens.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 08:12:35 AM »
Ditto for me... with same pro usb peddals.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: Rudder controls while taxiing/takeoff
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 08:20:49 AM »
Originally posted by FBScud
I have CH Pro USB rudder pedals, stick and throttle.  On take off...
Same pedals.  Mine are sitting under the bed gathering dust because the chips are fried.  In WindowsXP, turn on the digital readout.  If it's stable within a point or two you're ok but if it jumps madly, your pedals are toast.  The brakes went first, then the rudder.

Those pedals have a 3 year warrenty so you can send them back to the factory for repairs. I hope you saved the box, they told me 6-8 weeks.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 09:49:28 AM »
Hitech has said that he did add some tailwheel slop in AH2.

I may not be the best in the world, but I'm far from being the worst at take offs and landings. I have never crashed an undamaged plane on landing or take-off in AH1 since day one, but manual take-off is almost impossible for me in AH2 in some aircraft. Forget about smoothly rolling in power as rudder authority is obtained... I can't even get up to a normal taxiing speed because of the wild swings even after trying a variety of settings.

I have a full CH USB setup also.

Offline FBScud

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 12:24:22 PM »
Since I don't have any problems in AHI, I assume my controls are fine.  Also, since the rudder works just fine in the air, I assume my calibration is ok.  Haven't disabled the toe brakes yet...I'll do that tonight, but I thought deadband/damping would address that issue.

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
      • http://myweb.cableone.net/decon14/
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 02:06:03 PM »
CH Pro Peds here...No problems.  Toe Brakes assigned.  Take a 3-4" Binder and put under the pedals for a more realistic pedal attitude and less chance of tapping the brakes!
GL

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 02:24:39 PM »
plant the tail wheel (stick back) and keep the pressure on it until you've got the speed to get the tail up and you should find it easier. Dunno what it does in AH2 but it does work for me.

Cheers,
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 05:40:35 PM »
Originally posted by Rolex
Hitech has said that he did add some tailwheel slop in AH2.

In the real world most fighters have locking tailwheels, and they should be locked for takeoff and landing. So, there shouldn't be much "slop". But, if the tailwheel should be accidentally unlocked, groundlooping was common. It would be nice to have lockable tailwheels where they actually existed.

As it is, the aircraft are WAY too rudder sensistive while on the ground in AH2.  

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Swoop73

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 05:41:34 PM »
AH2 has tried many different sensitivities in rudder trying to model how a ww2 tail dragger really responds. I think they have something reasonable now, but would really like to see the tail wheel lock when the stick is aft of nutral...this is how many fighters including the P51 worked. Actually, I love the way you can now turn on a dime on the runway by locking a brake and bringing the power up a bit. I hope they don't stop at this. A tailwheel lock would be great.
"Had to...Had to keep 'em from the bombers"
325th Ace Art Fiedler on why he and 3 other Checkertails
charged into 40 FW 190's over Regensburg, Germany in Jan., 1945.

Offline Boat

• Zinc Member
      • http://None
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2004, 08:00:43 PM »
I have Ch Rudder pedals USB and find a tremendous difference in being able to taxi under AH and AH Beta. The rudder induces wide swings in Beta that do not happen in AH. I thought I was having trouble with calibration in the new version until I saw this thread. As it is now, I can take off and land but taxi-ing to a rearm pad is a real adventure.

Offline Frost

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2004, 11:34:25 PM »
Exactly what Boat said.  Full CH USB setup and taxing is a royal pain in the butt.  Taking off and landing is more difficult than AHI and I'm OK with that, the taxiing is a wild ride.

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2004, 12:03:40 AM »
umm anyone remember to check for surface winds? Taxiing, taking off and landing are a whole lot easier into wind..
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat